Identifying Carlton rims

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joab

I'll think of something.
Reaction score
I usually buy chain and rims for my saws from my Carlton chain dealer -- there are local Stihl and Oregon dealers I could buy this kind of stuff from, but I've been happy with Carlton and the price is better.

I had always assumed that the rims I was getting were Carlton, but I recently noticed that they are only occasionally marked "Carlton". Most of them have no brand markings that I see -- unlike Oregon or Stihl rims that seem to always indicate the brand.

So are Carlton rims always marked with the name or some other way so that I can tell if that's what I've got? Or does the lack of "Carlton" alone mean they're something else? (And does Carlton really make their own rims, or are they reselling rims made by a variety of manufactures like they do with some of their bars?)

I haven't had any trouble with the unmarked rims, but I'd consider going to my Oregon dealer instead and paying an extra 3 or 4 dollars per rim so that I always know what I'm getting if there's no way to identify that these are really from Carlton. Any info would be appreciated. And if you've got an opinion on Carlton vs Oregon vs Stihl vs other rims, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

I've got Oregon PowerMate rims and Carlton rims.

The Oregon ones always say PowerMate, the Carlton ones I got are unbranded.

They both seem to hold up similarly when it comes to wear.
I payed identical prices for both brands.

The Carlton rims I have look less good than the Oregon rims, they have visual cast flaws that shouldn't interfere with functionality.

Example: new Carlton chain and new Carlton sprocket, while pulling the chain it moves smoothly.

I'm fine with either Oregon or Carlton, though I'd prefer Oregon sprockets.

$4 more... how much are we talking? A rim sprocket is normally only $4-6
4 or 5 $ depending which size from the Carlton dealer . And 8 to 10 $ from the Oregon dealer. We're talking Canadian dollars, but the local price on the Oregon rims seems out of line with the norm.

I've got Oregon PowerMate rims and Carlton rims.

The Oregon ones always say PowerMate, the Carlton ones I got are unbranded.

They both seem to hold up similarly when it comes to wear.
I payed identical prices for both brands.

The Carlton rims I have look less good than the Oregon rims, they have visual cast flaws that shouldn't interfere with functionality.

Example: new Carlton chain and new Carlton sprocket, while pulling the chain it moves smoothly.

I'm fine with either Oregon or Carlton, though I'd prefer Oregon sprockets.
If it's pretty much normal that the Carlton rims are unbranded, then I think it's fair to say I'm being overly particular thinking about it -- and I'm safe saving my money.

If it's pretty much normal that the Carlton rims are unbranded, then I think it's fair to say I'm being overly particular thinking about it -- and I'm safe saving my money.
I have 4 or 5 Carlton rims, 7 & 8 tooth - non are branded.

If Carlton is more affordable in Your area go with it.
In my area Carlton and Oregon rims are priced close to each other so that there is no notable saving while purchasing 2-3 rims.

I usually buy chain and rims for my saws from my Carlton chain dealer -- there are local Stihl and Oregon dealers I could buy this kind of stuff from, but I've been happy with Carlton and the price is better.

I had always assumed that the rims I was getting were Carlton, but I recently noticed that they are only occasionally marked "Carlton". Most of them have no brand markings that I see -- unlike Oregon or Stihl rims that seem to always indicate the brand.

So are Carlton rims always marked with the name or some other way so that I can tell if that's what I've got? Or does the lack of "Carlton" alone mean they're something else? (And does Carlton really make their own rims, or are they reselling rims made by a variety of manufactures like they do with some of their bars?)

I haven't had any trouble with the unmarked rims, but I'd consider going to my Oregon dealer instead and paying an extra 3 or 4 dollars per rim so that I always know what I'm getting if there's no way to identify that these are really from Carlton. Any info would be appreciated. And if you've got an opinion on Carlton vs Oregon vs Stihl vs other rims, I wouldn't mind hearing it.
Oregon.Carlton. Windsor. Sabre & others are all under the parent company Blount They have a good few manufacturing units in USA, Europe,& probably asia so it could be that the perticular rim is made in a unit with no carlton stamp or they don' brand them so as "one size fits all ."

Back