identifying Stihl 070 and 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Reaction score
I need some help. I recently purchased a Stihl 090. However the saw I received doesn't have any identification on it other than STIHL. I have this nagging suspicion that it is an 070 not an 090. Can someone tell me if there is a way of differentiating the two saws without measuring the cylinder? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks...Carl

Last edited:
The 070 that I have been around have three shoe clutches and the 090 `s had six shoe clutches and the drive drum was around 4" in diameter for the 090. but the only positive way is to measure the bore diameter. It can be accomplished easily by removing the muffler and inserting a straw/stir stick or similar plastic device and pulling the piston up until it dents/marks the straw, withdraw it and measure from the tip to the indent. 58 mm for the 070 and 66mm for the 090, of course I stand to be corrected on the bore sizes as there may be others.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
The 070 that I have been around have three shoe clutches and the 090 `s had six shoe clutches and the drive drum was around 4" in diameter for the 090. but the only positive way is to measure the bore diameter. It can be accomplished easily by removing the muffler and inserting a straw/stir stick or similar plastic device and pulling the piston up until it dents/marks the straw, withdraw it and measure from the tip to the indent. 58 mm for the 070 and 66mm for the 090, of course I stand to be corrected on the bore sizes as there may be others.
Pioneerguy600

:agree2:

Not to throw a wrench in the works but what would you call a saw with a small 3 shoe clutch and 66mm jug?:laugh:

Bill

Put a 3 foot bar and chain on it and find some hardwood. The 070 will lumber through it the 090 will pull the chain with authority. Alot of 070's out there with the asain aftermarket topends, got to be careful what you buy.

Put a 3 foot bar and chain on it and find some hardwood. The 070 will lumber through it the 090 will pull the chain with authority. Alot of 070's out there with the asain aftermarket topends, got to be careful what you buy.

Quite right , its a must to check out the saw thoroughly, if the saw has an OEM 66mm P&C and the bigger Tillotson carb. and the OEM 6 shoe clutch is there any other way to identify between the 070 that has been upgraded and a true 090? I have been looking over some of the 070`s and 090`s and can only make a semi educated guess as to the true version of saw that I am looking at.
Pioneerguy600

Carbs are the same, you can bolt the 137cc to either saw, as the same with the clutch, I believe if I am correct later model 090's may have slightly different cranks.

I had both an early 070 and 090 they were the same

Bill, do you know the series of the carbs? I have seen the 327C on the 070 and it has a 5/8" venturi and the 090`s had 244A and 324A which have 13/16" venturi in them. I guess that what you have seen then means that the 070 and 090 shared all the carbs between them. Also read somewhere that the 090 used the 331A at some time in their production run, may have been in one of my Tillotson carb Master manuals so I would have to do some reading to check that out.
Pioneerguy600

Back