idiot tree service video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
the more I look at it I say he missed the notch with the back cut on the side away from him and the top fell off the side away from because of holding wood....pulling him that way and when it released it flung him back the opp. way.

No biggie....plenty of room for error, just so the boy didn't let it go backwards.

Amen to all of that. I think he took to much out in the face and ripped through the back before it had time to come over proper. Hey, they say what don't kill ya makes you stronger, smarter, better... That might be true but I would still like to find the guy that said that and kick him in the nuts then ask " feeling stronger now?"
As time passes, and I catch my breath from running from the guy I just kicked in the nuts, I find my notches are becoming smaller and smaller while my holding wood is getting bigger.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Its good to pick apart these senerios, of course. Its good to see what is happening and talk about it.
That one guy with the steel brimmed hat was just asking for it when he got rag dolled. I think you could see the complacency all over him. A couple others I have seen were due to over stepping the boundries I think.
I guess I don't really like to see these people called outright idiots even if they are. The guy who drops a tree from the ground onto a house, well, yeah, that's an idiot. A guy on a ladder cutting with no safety just as well.
I was just working with a 30 year vet who still freeclimbs and doesn't wear a hat. He tries to reason it with me, of course I have no time for that.

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
There is too much there that you can't see, that's the same with most youtube type videos.

I don't agree with the assertion that the top was too big to be handled safely, it was just misjudged, misexecuted or both. One will never know.

Personally, I like to drop tops that size with the lower limbs left on to dampen the reaction, but that all depends on the tree and situation.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
I see what you are saying about leaving damping factors but I only have done this when putting it on a pulley.
I have seen the videos of the trunk being pushed back by the falling top and that is just recently. Within the last year or so becuase I was not online back then.
I have to say I have NEVER experianced this while sending out tops. I now assume its because I use a humbolt and generally demand the proper pull and notch. I dunno. I am still waiting for it to happen but it just won't.

boutselis

boutselis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Its good to pick apart these senerios, of course. Its good to see what is happening and talk about it.
That one guy with the steel brimmed hat was just asking for it when he got rag dolled. I think you could see the complacency all over him. A couple others I have seen were due to over stepping the boundries I think.
I guess I don't really like to see these people called outright idiots even if they are. The guy who drops a tree from the ground onto a house, well, yeah, that's an idiot. A guy on a ladder cutting with no safety just as well.
I was just working with a 30 year vet who still freeclimbs and doesn't wear a hat. He tries to reason it with me, of course I have no time for that.

Well I bet most of you guys think people like me who have had to use ladders to work in trees are all like these guys....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KpE3lT9uxQ

http://www.clipaday.com/videos/firefighter-falls-off-his-ladder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOOAZK_YfE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJHLPwhnF0

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...branch-sawing--sues-BOSSES-breaking-foot.html

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak

I would say the guy trying to jump into the pool could definatley be construed as an idiot. He needs his head checked. Probably would have been worse off if he made it. It kinda looked like a valid suicide attempt, it really did. I'l bet he was asked if he was trying to kill himself, maybe he was.
Hey , if you are using a ladder properly then you should be OK.

B-Edwards

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Guy on ladder with a chainsaw always ='s idiot to me :). Seriously it makes me weak in the knees everytime I see someone on a ladder with a saw.

3rd cousin, great guy on a ladder with a saw 20 years old. Paralyzed! Hes around 50 now.

Rftreeman

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Guy on ladder with a chainsaw always ='s idiot to me :). Seriously it makes me weak in the knees everytime I see someone on a ladder with a saw.

3rd cousin, great guy on a ladder with a saw 20 years old. Paralyzed! Hes around 50 now.
nothing wrong with working off a ladder if it's set up right and the person knows what they are doing and is tied in...

NCTREE

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've used ladders with chainsaws before to top arbs but never to take a tree or branch down. I have used a power stick saw to take a tree down though it works pretty nice if your alone and it's a small enough tree to handle with the stick saw.

NCTREE

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite

if someones going to laugh and call this guy an idiot for dropping that top he better be able to back it up with some of his master work. Lots of stuff can go wrong it always isn't in the control of the guy in the tree. Plenty of times I wanted to to get out of the tree and kick my ground guys in the nuts.

Your only as good as your groundies thats why it pays to have a climber as a ground guy.

boutselis

boutselis

Addicted to ArboristSite

nothing wrong with working off a ladder if it's set up right and the person knows what they are doing and is tied in...

In the words of Steve martin "excuse me"; for being an idiot that is. I bet no one ever got seriously hurt doing it the "right way" because when your right accidents can never happen. I know using a ladder is not the best method but it doesn't make me an idiot. As Rftreeman alluded to, I check out my situation, make a plan, strap the ladder, hook up my belt (Not a real climbers belt just a lineman's belt, bet I'm an idiot for that too) and If I am unsure I don't do it. 2 times in the past 20 years I got myself all set up, did my second check and then told the home owner : "sorry, I can't do this one for you because...." and a few other times where I never even bothered setting up.

I guess every guy in florida who trims palms is an idiot because if the palm isn't more than 20 feet and not by a street everyone uses a ladder and a chain saw.
no big though. I am here to learn and if someone thinks I'm an idiot thats fine as long as he's willing to tell me the better way.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
In the words of Steve martin "excuse me"; for being an idiot that is. I bet no one ever got seriously hurt doing it the "right way" because when your right accidents can never happen. I know using a ladder is not the best method but it doesn't make me an idiot. As Rftreeman alluded to, I check out my situation, make a plan, strap the ladder, hook up my belt (Not a real climbers belt just a lineman's belt, bet I'm an idiot for that too) and If I am unsure I don't do it. 2 times in the past 20 years I got myself all set up, did my second check and then told the home owner : "sorry, I can't do this one for you because...." and a few other times where I never even bothered setting up.

I guess every guy in florida who trims palms is an idiot because if the palm isn't more than 20 feet and not by a street everyone uses a ladder and a chain saw.
no big though. I am here to learn and if someone thinks I'm an idiot thats fine as long as he's willing to tell me the better way.

I don't think anyone called you an idiot. You have to take the ladder thing in context.

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Looked to me like the top came over sooner than he thought and surprised him. Probably because he had 4 men on the rope. I wouldn't call him and idiot, just a little green. All's well that ends well. That wasn't that bad of a ride and the top was actually pretty small and manageable from what I can see. He's definitely got a ways to go but I have seen much worse.