If I buy a 36 inch bar do I need skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galde

galde

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just to make sure we are all on the same page terminology-wise, full house is not the same as full comp. Full comp means two drive links between teeth, full house means one drive link between teeth, A full house 114 drive link chain will have 114 teeth. Full skip means three drive links between teeth, so there will be one third fewer teeth, not half as many teeth as is often erroneously stated. Semi skip means alternating between three drive links and two drive links between teeth. Besides the power/RPM issue, the chip clearance issue is important. The additional chip clearance of skip chain becomes especially important at bar lengths of 36" and above.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I would get a stihl ES light is the funds are available. It should be about $145 or higher depending on the dealer.

bucknfeller

bucknfeller

Opportunistic Hooligan
I have a buddy who used to run a Poulan 655 with a 36" bar, he ran full skip chain. That thing would fly through the wood. He always said that the full skip was faster.

eric_ssi

eric_ssi

ArboristSite Lurker
The new light-weight bars are great, albeit a bit pricey. At 36", I'd go with .063 chain (36RSF x 114DL), and the 36" ES Light only comes in .063 anyway.

Is it true that some dealers won't make up chains?! Sounds absurd to me, kinda like a Mr. Lube that refuses to change oil.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
25% lighter or real close. A 36" is 3lb 6 oz if I remember right. It weighs less than a 32" regular weight by a lot.

RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
I would get a stihl ES light is the funds are available. It should be about $145 or higher depending on the dealer.

Well worth it for the few extra bucks compared to the Oregon RW,,,, The Stihl light bar is way!!!!! better,, Just sayin:laugh:

Is it true that some dealers won't make up chains?! Sounds absurd to me, kinda like a Mr. Lube that refuses to change oil.

We have a new Ace Hardware Stihl dealer in town and we get all their Customers that want a chain spun up or links removed, and quite a bit of their repair work too!!! They are cluless...

Last edited:
CR500

CR500

Diesel, Snowmobile, & Chainsaw Technician
25% lighter or real close. A 36" is 3lb 6 oz if I remember right. It weighs less than a 32" regular weight by a lot.

I have a 32 ES Light that weighs about the same as my 25 ES.... a 36 ES Light should not be to much heavier than my 32 ES Light. Have I said this before lol? "Those ES Light bars are worth the money IMO "

mile9socounty

mile9socounty

Two-Stroke Swope
It depends also on what wood your cutting. If your a "west coast" guy and cutting softwoods then full skip is the way to go. If your a "east coast" guy cutting hardwoods and want a smoother cut then a full comp would work. I've ran both styles on different lengths and I personally like full skip because I'm falling and cutting softwood (doug fir, tamarack, etc.) and I use longer bars 28" and 32". The loggers around here use full skip...and like others have said full skip=less sharpening time:)

What Darren said. Or buy a smaller bar. Right coast right? :hmm3grin2orange:

Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
my wifed asked me what i want for valentines day. I told her a 36 inch bar.I cant think of anything else i want

I was gonna buy it myself anyway. She is sick of hearing about saws....

:agree2:

+1 !!!
If I say anything saw related, she blows a gasket !!

This post is priceless

Full Skip !!

056kid

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
just to make sure we are all on the same page terminology-wise, full house is not the same as full comp. Full comp means two drive links between teeth, full house means one drive link between teeth, a full house 114 drive link chain will have 114 teeth. Full skip means three drive links between teeth, so there will be one third fewer teeth, not half as many teeth as is often erroneously stated. Semi skip means alternating between three drive links and two drive links between teeth. Besides the power/rpm issue, the chip clearance issue is important. The additional chip clearance of skip chain becomes especially important at bar lengths of 36" and above.

wtf?

CRE1992

CRE1992

ArboristSite Operative
I had been looking at other brands of bars, but the stihl is actually pretty reasonably priced. $98 .. any pros and cons on the big stihl bars?

Your dealer told you $98 for a 36" ES Bar?

Thats crazy! My uncle just bought a 36" ES Bar and two chains for $104 granted he spends a ton of money there. And I was at a dealer yesterday and they told me $65 for the ES Bar and a ES Light for $150 for 36" bars.

Latest posts