If someone else were paying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to weight them, but an 18" Lite Sugihara feels heavier than a 18" Oregon ProLite. Damn good bars though.
There is YouTube video where a guy weighs a (either 18" or 20" ) factory Husqvarna bar vs the same size sugihara lite bar. The sugi lite bar was a half pound lighter. I would think the weight savings increases as the bar size does, more room for polymer inserts

There is YouTube video where a guy weighs a (either 18" or 20" ) factory Husqvarna bar vs the same size sugihara lite bar. The sugi lite bar was a half pound lighter. I would think the weight savings increases as the bar size does, more room for polymer inserts
Definitely more weight savings in longer bars, I only have 16 & 18" right now. Also big diff between laminated & replaceable tip Husky/Oregon bars.

I really like the cheapy WoodlandPro NK bars. The only draw is, if you pinch the bar it's ruined. SOO... don't be dumbass, like me. But seriously though, I have the 18" 72dl for a warmed up Husky 350 and it EATS.

The cheap bar I bought is a narrow kerf (MicroLite) Oregon and is showing a lot of wear just where the rails meet the sprocket.
I'm not complaining because it was on sale and cheap, plus my thinking was it would be lighter. This is the 2nd lpx chain the bar's had on it and it won't last for a 3rd.
The ml code is like the double guard and the mp code is like the pro lite, I get lost as they changed the naming a few years ago but the code is still the same. The small nose sprocket leads to what you note.

As to the original question here, I have not noticed discussion of 10 vs 13 nose sprockets. A stellite tipped solid bar generally seems to fit the drive links quite well. I guess I will let them buy me one of those aluminum cored laminated bars. Perhaps charge on the account? I will experiment plunge cutting with the chain I plan on using before finalizing the nose size.

Laughing my azz off this morning.
Ya know, this is the first time I've weighted bars & the first time being called "You azzwipes" :laugh:

The ml code is like the double guard and the mp code is like the pro lite, I get lost as they changed the naming a few years ago but the code is still the same. The small nose sprocket leads to what you note.

As to the original question here, I have not noticed discussion of 10 vs 13 nose sprockets. A stellite tipped solid bar generally seems to fit the drive links quite well. I guess I will let them buy me one of those aluminum cored laminated bars. Perhaps charge on the account? I will experiment plunge cutting with the chain I plan on using before finalizing the nose size.
I think you hit it on the nose, (how bout my pun and stuff), it's a 10 tooth sprocket. I have a plain wrapper 16" with an 11 tooth that shows no wear at all and it's been used more.

More weights for us "azzwipes" :laugh:

All 18", except the Sugi & Total are 3/8, though only the sprocket tip is different. Should weigh same as .325.

Sugi Hara 1.98 lb
Windsor Speed Tip 2.10
Oregon ProLite 2.13
Total Super 2.36

Seems 18" were the Sugi starts to show lighter weight. 20"+ probably even more.

Latest posts

Back