If you could buy any skid steer which one would it be

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John464

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
going to be getting demo's on most brands of skid steers in the next coming weeks. Would like to purchase soon, April-May. Budget is 40k. If you could choose one for your tree service which one would you pick and why

The most important factors to consider

#1 turf freindly -grasss can be fluffed back up with a rake and no sign of damage
#2 lift height -reaches high enough to load a dump truck from the rear or even over the sides
#3 can carry a heavy load -larger logs we can handle the more productive it will be

Lets hear which ones I should be demo'ing

I have John Deere 325. it does everything well. With all skids you will have to be careful on lawns.

I would buy the one with the best dealer support in your area.
My personal favorite brands of skidsteers are Hew Holland, Case, and Gehl. These three companies have way more experience building skidsteers than either J.D. or Cat. Experience counts a lot in my book.
Jeff

A CAT 267B with grapple, bucket, forks & auger.....(this is a track skid loader)
A skid steer would be a CAT 262B with all the above atatchments.

I have John Deere 325. it does everything well. With all skids you will have to be careful on lawns.

this is not a tracked unit correct and you still make out OK on lawns? I was leaning more towards a tracked machine because they "float"

A CAT 267B with grapple, bucket, forks & auger.....(this is a track skid loader)
A skid steer would be a CAT 262B with all the above atatchments.

thats 10-15k over my budget at 50k-55k. I have a budget alotted at 40k for a new loader

Takeuchi TL150

again, over budget

Deere 332 or ct332:hmm3grin2orange:

ct332 looks nice. tracks look very aggressive like they do a good tearin up a lawn. Have you used this unit?

Last edited:
Any skidsteer from the New Holland LS series.

Pick one that suits your budget and needs.

They are miles ahead of the competition in terms of stability and forward arm reach.

Or look at a Bobcat All Wheel Steer.

You can switch it between skidsteer mode for manouverability and All wheel steer mode for turf friendliness

I have a CAT 236. I would get high flow on whatever machine you get. I seen a Bob Cat with the wheels that turn and they are very good on the turf. I believe they are very expensive.

The New Hollands feel the mos stable and have the best visibility. Everyone I have talked to loves the controls on the Cats, but they are very pricey. Don't even consider a Case, just to hard to work on, Deere, last I knew was made by Case. The ASV machines have really peaked my interest!! I have been looking at an RC-30 myself. Owned by Cat, with Cat motors in them, supposed to have the Ca controls as well.
Bobcat by far is the easiest to work on, they make a great shidsteer, I have heard a lot of problems with the AWS system, and I ran a new one with the electronic hand controls like the Cats, it was the biggest hunk of junk I've eve run!! The controls where WAY to sensitive, trying to feathre them to smooth out gravel was next to imposible!
As others have said, itcomes down to support, I hear great things of Geihls, but no dealers around here. The JCB equipment seems good, but is it going to be like the Mustangs and gone in three years?

asv is the first. and only company that started making track machines. even cat uses asv's tracks on there loaders. any other track machine uses logering tracks witch i would never trust. not bobcat. jd or any other brand. i have a asv positrack Hd4500 forsale. heres some of the stats on my machine. compair it to some others and you will answer your own questions

18 inch wide rubber tracks apply only 3psi . witch means almost no lawn damage what so ever

115 horse power 291 lbs of torque make it the most powerful skid steer on earth

19 gpm low flow and 30 gpm high flow aux hydrolics

4500 lbs of lifting compacity 9000 lbs of break out force

i also have a 74 inch root grapple bucket avalable with the sale of my machine. its on ebay with no reserve. heres the link if you would like to go take a look or make me an offer and it could be yours tomarrow

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=300085452149&rd=1&rd=1

thats a good machine, i dont like the cat control system for the drive. i like having independent controls for each track. its hard to get used to the cat control system, but once u get used to it its easy as cake.. and the rc 60 will outperform any loader in its class.

For 40,000 you get a used 4x4 tractor/loader/backhoe and that would fit your top 3 things to consider even better. Just another piece in your puzzle.

im open to any ideas...which brands and models specifically do you recommend?

Im also going to be getting a demo on a Swinger 2000 soon as I can locate a dealer the www.nmc-wollard.com website sucks. their phone number doesnt even work. so I had to email them. waiting to hear back for one of their local dealers

Asv Dealer

John464- saw your posts here and at lawnsite- give the guys at Chesapeake Equipment a call. They are just outside of Felton, DE. These guys worked with me when I bought a RC-30 a few years ago, and they don't charge sales tax. At lawnsite all the dealers jump all over me whenever I ask A question they cant answer.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Back