if you only had one, what would it be; maul or axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axe or maul

• axe

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • maul

Votes: 49 57.0%

• Total voters

hangnail

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just that, getting ready to purchase a quality splitting tool, leaning towards the axe for the weight and speed.

I will be heading out to get a 361 over the weekend, and will probably add the sthil splitting axe in on the purchase. I have always used cheap soft metal crap axes, but kept a equally cheap maul for those tough ones, but figure that I can just rip in with the new swap if the axe wont do it. I recently broke the handle of my cheap axe, and just tossed it out. it would not hold an edge, easy to knick the edge, seemed to drag through the wood. caused alot of stress.

I will probably add the maul at a later time, being I don't want to through a cool grand this weekend as accessories add up.

How much are they asking for the 361 where you are? I was looking at one today and they wanted $600. Seems high to me.

$600 with a 20" bar. all the prices are about the same around here

in my mind i keep going with the 260/361 debate, but my father has a 250, or 210, so with the 361, our firewood needs will be covered.

For splitting, I'd buy a maul. According to some, the Fiskars performs as well as a maul, or better, but I wouldn't buy any other ax and expect it to do a maul's job.

Jack

I just recently bought a 361 w/ 20" bar for $600 even. I also bought a Stihl splitting axe the same day. I believe Stihl axes are made by Ox-Head. I've been please with it. It's well built and hold an edge.

You can't just have one!

This will sound like a cad post, But I cant see anyone making due with just one! I went for years with Just one saw but always had a Medium size Axe and a Medium Sized maul.
You need the Axe to drive Wedges sure you could use a hammer But that wont bump knots and cut small limbs.
I also say check pawn shops and garage sales for older stuff you can get a great deal and the steel used is much better than the made in china stuff or Modern USA/ Canada Stuff. I use a Axe made in Germany in around 1925 with a 1200 gram head Roughly 2.6 lb on it and a 6lb 40 year old true temper made in the U.S and a WW2 U.S surplus 4lb Axe. I have a bunch of Axes it is hard to beet the modern Fiskers but they cost you! And the China made 8lb maul has a great fiberglass handle but the head is soft and needs some creative welding to fix the shape my next experiment!
I did not vote as to me you cant make due with just one at least get a good Axe and a cheap maul.:)
P.S I have a Splitter now so I do not use the Maul much anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back