Illustrated Encyclopedia of Trees...anyone got it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagleknight97

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have this book and if so, is it a worthwhile purchase? Right now I have Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants but there are no pictures in it really, which isnt necessary but its always helpful!:D Im also looking to just expand my Tree related books in general. Also, what are Dr. Shigo's two best books to buy? I borrowed his book on Tree trimming, but I dont own it. Modern Arboriculture looks good to me also. Thanks guys!

Alright, I may hold off on getting this for a while as it focuses on European trees. Great drawings and absolutely HUGE, but not worth it to me right now. I will however try to pick up a few of Shigo's books.

There's a good CD available from Purdue university that you can purchase fairly reasonable on trees of Indiana which can't be all that much different from your trees over there in IL. It's like 10 dollars for the CD and has the leaves bark and buds on the twigs not to mention the fruiting bodies.

There's a good CD available from Purdue university that you can purchase fairly reasonable on trees of Indiana which can't be all that much different from your trees over there in IL. It's like 10 dollars for the CD and has the leaves bark and buds on the twigs not to mention the fruiting bodies.

Man, what the hell, UofI is totally not in the ballgame, we dont have anything like that.

There is a Dirr DVD (The Interactive Manual and Photo-Library of Woody Landscape Plants) that is supposed to be the content from Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, and it has a lot of color pictures. I don't know, but I'm guessing the color pics are from the Encyclopedia.

It is available through Timber Press. I bought it at a trade show for 20% off (and no shipping).

I'd rather flip through a book, but I do like the DVD.

Does anyone have this book and if so, is it a worthwhile purchase? Right now I have Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants but there are no pictures in it really, which isnt necessary but its always helpful!:D Im also looking to just expand my Tree related books in general. Also, what are Dr. Shigo's two best books to buy? I borrowed his book on Tree trimming, but I dont own it. Modern Arboriculture looks good to me also. Thanks guys!
as boston stated dirr has one with pics, best book imho is pp pirones tree maintenance, gerry bernanck fundamentals of gtw is also a good read, what are you looking for specifically tree id, diease insects, removals?

Hey iL dude get this http://secure.isa-arbor.com/store/Native-Trees-for-North-American-Landscapes-P227C0.aspx

writen by an IL dude and a heck of a guy. Since you now must have joined the ISA you get member price, and you may be able to drive right over there and pick it up!

It's more descriptive than Dirr's manual, and the photos are excellent.

My favorite Shigo book is Tree Anatomy. the most important one is still A new Tree Biology.

Latest posts

Back