I'm a convert!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
No, I ain't getting an OWB or an orange Poulan XP.

It's been warm enough this week to let the stove out during the day and relight it in the evening. I've been playing with the top-down system y'all always talk about. In all my years of lighting fires, it just WAS lit from the bottom.

Filling the stove, and throwing newspaper and kindling on top just seemed WRONG, but it worked. I wish I had a window on the stove to watch this work.

What put me over the top on this was tonight when I was hauling in wood, and watching the chimney while it was firing up. Almost no smoke at all, compared to a bunch of smoke for 5 to 10 minutes when starting it conventionally.

From here on out, I'll heartily recommend the top down fire starting system.

Thanks for teaching an old dog new tricks again!

If I started a fire with my top down I'm afraid my rockin' man boobs would stoke a horrendous inferno, but if it works for you great.

Pain cow, that ain't right at all man.

I may have to convince the GF that fires start more easily TOPLESS, however. That image is much easier to take than yours.

I'm going to let the fire go out tonight and get the wife do a top down start in the morning.

Wish me luck.

Ha! Well, my man boobs aren't as rockin' as I purport them to be....yet. But the grocery store is s

tocked with pizza, and I am a motivated individual. Hello dolly. Today was the first da
y in quite some time that I didn't start a fire at all. Twas in the 40's, the snow was melting at such a rapid rate I figgered it was near spring I guess. The damn heavy snow broke and snapped my beautiful privacy hedge, which angers me. But I can't figure out who to blame. Mother nature? I would be willing to hit her with a nerf bat until she lost bowel function but I don't know where she lives. Same with god. I reckon he never shows his face because he's so ashamed of his poor work in the middle east. Good job sky goober. Way to hide so everybody can die in wars about you.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club -- I was in the same boat, the boy scout training died hard. But it really does work better, especially in a stove that has any sort of trouble at all establishing a draft.

Jack

I would love to see a video of this! Sure seems hard to shake decades of bottom lighting! Someone, please, give me a video to convince me.:givebeer:

I like the top down method for the reason mentioned (less smoke) as well as a longer burn and more even heat while it is burning. I don't get the temp spikes I used to get when the whole pile was burning up. No more having to damper it back to keep the temps under 700+ .

It works for me.

I would love to see a video of this! Sure seems hard to shake decades of bottom lighting! Someone, please, give me a video to convince me.:givebeer:

Video? It's not THAT fast, just try it. Couple of big splits on bottom, then a few wrist-sized splits, then some thumb-sized kindling then a big handful of splitter swarf on top. Touch off the tinder with a propane torch and enjoy. I have some pics on my other computer, I'll dig them up in the morning.

Oh, yeah, set the layers criss-cross, leaving gaps for the embers to fall down from each upper layer.

Jack

I've done the top down fire starting for years, but mainly because I want to start the fire and walk away for 1/2 hour or so. By the time I get back its ready for some big chunks. Only exception is if I want heat in a hurry, like when i get back from fishing and have some fish to clean and guts to burn. Then its kindling, 5 minutes later more kindling and bigger chunks, 5 minutes later its bigger chunks.

I find it to be better since I am getting longer burn times, using less wood and don't have to fiddle with the stove while it is burning.

It is a different way that works better. To decide if it is better for you and your arrangement you will have to try it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try, if it ever warms up enough to let the stove go out!!:angry:

When you clean out the ashes , put the coals off to the side , load the stove , then put the coals on top and keep going.

It might be a couple extra steps at the stove but it will save you several steps to the wood pile. ;)

OK, here are the pics I promised. Imagination can turn it into a video:
TopDown1.jpg

TopDown2.jpg

TopDown3.jpg

And so it goes, until the bottom layer burns, too. Zero smoke in the house, almost completely does away with the chimney smoke I once considered normal as the fire got up to temperature.

Jack

Back