I'm going to miss my Saw ####

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My family calls this site my Saw ####. I spend most of my time making stupid jokes on top of other peoples posts, because I live on the beach in Florida and don't own a fireplace. Mostly I am here, some on the Chainsaw section, and occasionally on the Milling.

Trees, I have about a gazillion of more variety than I can count. Saws, a tracked loader, got em. But no need to cut firewood, except I like Natures Television for winter time camping on our Hammock Land. See signature link.

Really, I've absolutely no reason to come here, I offer very little useful info, and don't know jack #### about OWB's or Furnaces.... But I do, and I enjoy it.

It looks like I wont have time for about 4 to 8 months.

Wifey and I are buying a house most would scrape off the lot in the mid beach section. We live on the north beach in the house I grew up in, and our oldest has been living down at the ranch saving money for a down payment, off the grid.

An old friend had moved back to NY to care for his Mom and now is willing to sell me his old Periwinkle. It was rundown when he lived in it, and its even worse now with a couple of Douchebags almost as old as I am living in it since 07.

I wouldn't let a dog I hate live in the house....

I have to buy it for 60k cash, and build from scratch on the lot, or gut it and get it into mortage-able condition. The lot is worth 75 to 85 k, it would NOT make it past the first call to a realtor, they'd be on it for that much and pricing it a 125k as is.

I will keep the 1000' Sq pad and block walls, because they're perfect, and scraping it off means smaller and vertical with setbacks and new ordinances, but its going to get gutted to four walls. Saw cut the slab for new sewer and water, new electrical (old wiring has no ground) new central A/C, all new windows and doors new trusses and concrete tile roof.

I will drop another 40k in cash and do most every bit of the work ourselves, and son #1 (31 yo) will get a house on the beach side for a mortgage he can afford with his one income.

I have to get it done before April since I'll have every liquid penny I have in this house, (and I have youngest child Princess Kickbutt going off to college then) but my banker and attorney confirm what i already knew, I dont have a risk at all. It'll appraise for 180 to 200k when done, and if I want, could ask 235-250 for it, being brand new. The neighborhood has many houses built in the same time period. Good solid block homes, but nearly flat pitched roofs and old wiring, that will never make mortgage due to the electrical systems not meeting code. Making electric up to code is very hard with no attic access.... Cast iron sewer and copper water lines, and small rooms. They call them Periwinkles for a reason.

I have lots of family in town, and if they want to hang at the ranch a little during this winter, they'll have to come help occasionally with this project.

I'm going to miss more than a few surfing contests this winter. I'm going to miss hunting season AGAIN, my saws are going to get cranky, my loader Pedro won't complain too much since there's stuff for him to do on this project. And I'm going to miss being able to come in here for a spell.

We'll miss ya, buddy. Enjoy yer project. Pics of progress please. I'm sure you can fit a "firewood theme" in there somehow. ;o)

As much as it sucks to leave, we'll all be here when you get back. All you'll miss is a few saw builds, an oil thread or two, and some videos of some big trees getting victimized. Don't bust your back!

Latest posts

Back