I'm over it, moving forward

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all the guys that have their weekends off, how many of you own the business? There's no such thing as weekends off if you own the business, especially if you don't have good help.

:monkey:

I have all of my weekends off BECAUSE I own the business. I have been self-employed since I was a kid precisely because I enjoy setting my own schedule. If I wanted to jump through hoops for others, I'd work for them.

I have all of my weekends off BECAUSE I own the business. I have been self-employed since I was a kid precisely because I enjoy setting my own schedule. If I wanted to jump through hoops for others, I'd work for them.

Really? So if someone calls you Saturday morning with a tree on their house, you'll tell them to wait until Monday, you're too busy relaxin'? If that's your thing, do it. I personally like money too much.

so this site is full of halftimers, huh? guys who have fulltime gigs but leach off the tree on the side?..........

will the real treemen please stand up? i need a headcount. the guys who do it fulltime? the ones in the grind daily? i just put in 11hours. where you at?

halftimers with problems.......lol.

so this site is full of halftimers, huh? guys who have fulltime gigs but leach off the tree on the side?..........

will the real treemen please stand up? i need a headcount. the guys who do it fulltime? the ones in the grind daily? i just put in 11hours. where you at?

i think we need a pole bro. I get that feeling too. I heard most people took off Friday and Monday for the holiday weekend. I worked both days. 5-6 days a week. no landscaping, no handyman odd jobs, no grass cutting, JUST TREES all day, all week.

JUST TREES all day, all week.

thats the **** i'm talking about man. bang.

2 log truck worth of tree on the move today brother. real tall pine and some phatty oak and maple.

running through that mix!

start that poll about who is who on this site, i'd love to see the answer.

i think we need a pole bro. I get that feeling too. I heard most people took off Friday and Monday for the holiday weekend. I worked both days. 5-6 days a week. no landscaping, no handyman odd jobs, no grass cutting, JUST TREES all day, all week.

I don't have anything against part timers but I would also like to see who puts in the serious hours doing tree work. Seeing that I work 40 for another company and at least 20 for myself a week I wonder if I spend more time aloft than most. All I know is I took 1 day off this week to go see an airshow with the gf and slept through F18's blasting their afterburners 100 feet from me.

All this back and forth about full and part time is hilarious! If the guy doing the work is good, does it right, is honest, and works his butt off, who gives a rip? Full time, part time... You guys should be ripping on illegals and hacks, not on "How many hours a week" somebody works.

My humble 2¢

I could post my stats in here but the fact is nobody ever believes what I do, whether its the hours I work or the way I climb or the money I make. Part time or not, I'm getting it done and have no problem finding work whether in the trees or not. Tree work isn't that plentiful where I am so it's part time. The phone doesn't stop though for tree work and it keeps the weekends full while I make the rest of my money somewhere else the rest of the week.

BTW, it's 8:30 and I just stepped in the door since leaving this morning at 7:30. And thats 6 days a week, the seventh the same time but working around my own place.

All this back and forth about full and part time is hilarious! If the guy doing the work is good, does it right, is honest, and works his butt off, who gives a rip? Full time, part time... You guys should be ripping on illegals and hacks, not on "How many hours a week" somebody works.

My humble 2¢

I didn't put out oldirty quantity today but I did 2 full chip trucks ( 20 yards each ) and one triaxle of wood, plus half the day was "no-haul". Like I said I have no prob with part timers but moving that amount of material in a day sure gives a man a serious sense of pride. When you do that every day...moreso.

I didn't put out oldirty quantity today but I did 2 full chip trucks ( 20 yards each ) and one triaxle of wood, plus half the day was "no-haul". Like I said I have no prob with part timers but moving that amount of material in a day sure gives a man a serious sense of pride. When you do that every day...moreso.

Exactly... I can do welding, or carpentry, or blacksmithing on the weekend, and watch my boys during the week... Does that mean I'm not good at any of it? Not bloody likely.

Quality, not quantity boys. :cheers:

i'd work 7 days a week.

sun up to sun down if the work was there.i love the work and wouldn't want to do anything else.maybe when we get rid of Obamalamadingdong things will get back to the way they were.

I've had my fair share of climbers come climb for me as after awhile they think I need them till I let them be my groundie then they aren't as arrogant but some it just doesn't matter they move from company to company atleast thats the way it seems around here. Haven't had that problem with groundies but we all know a good groundie is almost just as a good and a good climber

Oh no, he's a partimer through and through, still claims freeclimbing is quicker than rope and saddle. 20 yrs climbing baby! just bought a saddle last year, lol.

Did anyone else hear about the guy who was free climbing and cut himself with the saw and couldnt climb down because of the cut and bleed to death in the tree? I think it was in a TCI mag a few years back.........................and by the way, second generation pure bred here, and nothing was "givin" to me cept' a few old broke saws. 2 years ago I put in 9 weeks in the summer heat at 80 hours on the job, not countin doin estimates or sharpenin saws at 3 in the morn or fixin all the crap that groundie 1,2,or3 broke and when I looked at the numbers when I was done I figured I wouldve lost less money if I sat at home on the couch watchin T.V. with a beer in hand. So I got rid of everybody and work as little as possible now. Not hard considering that theres no work what so ever. NOONE by me is movin. But hey,Im happy. Kind of. Not really. Will somebody please hit me in the head with a tack hammer?

Last edited:

This part: "leach off the tree on the side", thats some good stuff right there :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm losing alot of this week due to bucket truck tranny problems...that and the economy has me working less this year admittedly. That dont make me a partimer does it big guy?

Thankfully things are picking up pretty good now though. Economy definately makes "the hate", as I call it, kick up a notch - everybody's happy when theres alot of work, things get slow and the treeguys get to hating, always been like that.

In my area, it's the full-timers who are the problem...too many untrained, unemployed yokals going into tree cutting full-time when there's not enough work to support a family of co-owners all trying to make a living off of one tree company.

I'd like to be full-time but I'm wise enough to realize that, in my local ecomony, the best economic position for me is to hold onto my full-time job and to do tree work on the side. If the other guys who are trying to start up in this weak economy had any brains, they'd be part-time too. If the untrained full-timers in my area had any brains, they'd find another line of work rather than give lowball prices and further drive the industry into the ground. Nobody wins when unskilled lowballers start throwing out rediculously low prices just to keep busy. They're cutting their own throats by creating a market that is accustomed to getting work done for practically nothing.

Getting rid of us part-timers who actually know how to properly care for trees isn't going to better the situation. My prices for removals are twice or three times that of the full-timers. I only get removal work from customers who want someone who knows what he is doing. Most of my work comes from pruning that the local full-timers know nothing about and don't want to do.

The situation may be different in other markets but, that's how it is in my area. Just too many untrained bafoons trying to work in the tree care market and customers becoming accustomed to hiring baffoons rather than professionals.

As it was said previously, your energy shouldn't be wasted worrying about whether someone works 20 hours a week or 40 or 60 but, rather, on whether they are skilled and ethical enough to be operating within the tree care industry. Get rid of the unskilled, unethical bafoons - both part-time and full-time, and this industry will be better off as a whole. JMO...

A lot of treework done is just glorified yard work. You don't need a crane and huge equipment for that, therefor this "Industry" will never be taken seriously as long as it's all rolled into one. The full spectrum is just too large and diverse.

Am I right here? Just a thought.

Back