I'm over it, moving forward

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of treework done is just glorified yard work. You don't need a crane and huge equipment for that, therefor this "Industry" will never be taken seriously as long as it's all rolled into one. The full spectrum is just too large and diverse.

Am I right here? Just a thought.

For that matter, you can say the same about landscaping or lawn care along with numerous other 'industries' that crisscross conventional industry work boundaries. More and more landscapers and lawn care companies are doing what arborists would classify as 'tree care'. In reverse, more and more tree care companies are doing what landscape architects would classify as landscaping or lawn care.

It's all the green industry. Perhaps, that's the correct term to use for the industry in which we work.

That or "woody industry" LOL

Name on the side of a truck I saw over the weekend

Weekend Woody

Must go over great with the ladies LOL!

Cape, some guy made a good point... Every area has a local highschool. Hang out outside the highschool a few days as school gets out and talk to some of the bigger kids! I've thought of that...recruiting from the local highschool. They listen well, and you can cultivate them.

But what I was going to say is craigslist man! Craigslist is a goldmine for.... anything almost. Post an ad under the jobs section. You CAN and WILL find someone. Guaranteed. Its worth the $25. Massachusetts is not a big place. Where do you live? Out on the Cape?!

greenstar-boston

Last edited:
Craigslist is great if you have alot of time to waste talking to and emailing every half-wit that can get on the internet but not show up for an appointment or first day of work:dizzy:.

John464, Aren't you the owner of the company and work with your crews too? How the hell do you manage to do enough estimates and get enough jobs while doing that to keep a workload rolling? FT salesman?

Cape, some guy made a good point... Every area has a local highschool. Hang out outside the highschool a few days as school gets out and talk to some of the bigger kids! I've thought of that...recruiting from the local highschool. They listen well, and you can cultivate them.
greenstar-boston

Jesus, what country are you in? approach kids outside a school? good way to meet the local police.
you need to do it the smart way, call the football coach, and let him tell his athletes, instead of trying to hire the pothead skateboarders who walk to school.

pay em good, work the heck out of em, and feed em, too. I've done that for years, when busy, they come out of the woodwork for a workout with pay.:cheers:

Jesus, what country are you in? approach kids outside a school? good way to meet the local police.
you need to do it the smart way, call the football coach, and let him tell his athletes, instead of trying to hire the pothead skateboarders who walk to school.

pay em good, work the heck out of em, and feed em, too. I've done that for years, when busy, they come out of the woodwork for a workout with pay.:cheers:

:agree2:
Good advice!

Yeah ok "Tree Slayer!" What kind of motivated disciplined football player is gonna work for the average small tree co dragging brush and humping wood around!!

Its a free country buddy. Maybe you'd be better with the army bound, fottball playin jock, or whatever...
But the skateboarder type, directionless, still searching kind of young man is more my speed.
There's nothing against the law about that either. :chainsaw:

Where does this leave me?

I work for a tree care company 40+ hrs a week, and I ALSO do weekend/side jobs. However, unlike most of the people I work with during the week, my side work is not solicited on the job. All my "side work" comes from people that I know personally, and it is all word of mouth. I work many weekends and I take no work from the company that I work for, as they are pretty pricey. The way I figure it is a good workout, and I also am getting paid to hone my climbing skills. My prices are very reasonable so I figure it keeps some hack from getting their hands on my customer's trees. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to comment.

I work for a tree care company 40+ hrs a week, and I ALSO do weekend/side jobs. However, unlike most of the people I work with during the week, my side work is not solicited on the job. All my "side work" comes from people that I know personally, and it is all word of mouth. I work many weekends and I take no work from the company that I work for, as they are pretty pricey. The way I figure it is a good workout, and I also am getting paid to hone my climbing skills. My prices are very reasonable so I figure it keeps some hack from getting their hands on my customer's trees. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to comment.

You're in the same place as me, DK. I think that makes us fulltime plus. Ha! Take that, OD. :) Nothing wrong if your leads are honest, you're insured, and you do good work. I actually advertise though and I must say it gets tricky when you're bidding against your boss. We've basically come to the conclusion that if people are getting bids from both our companies, they're probably getting bids from everyone in town looking for the best price and neither of us will ever be that...EVER. This site is full of too many full timers. Where's my fulltime plus boys at?

Insurance

Speaking of insurance, how much does your GL cost you per year if you don't mine me asking? You can PM me the answer if that works for you. Thanks.

But what I was going to say is craigslist man! Craigslist is a goldmine for.... anything almost. Post an ad under the jobs section. You CAN and WILL find someone. Guaranteed. Its worth the $25. Massachusetts is not a big place. Where do you live? Out on the Cape?!

greenstar-boston

Yeah, there ya go cape: hang out outside the local high school, just remember to bring some candy. :hmm3grin2orange:

I solved that problem.

If all you need is someone to stack brush and logs get a temp.

I found a sweet temp agency. When I break it open on my own I'll run the best guys during the week and request someone else for weekends. Someone goes down, cops a tude, or what not, I keep moving.

I slow down...I cut em loose...not my problem.

I can even break it up into two different shifts on long days.

Eventually, I'll get full time guys, but if they want the weekend off...no problem.

If I need an extra guy...no problem.

So far it has worked out great.

What do you have to pay the temp. service per hour?
Any tips on dealing with the temp. service?

Yeah ok "Tree Slayer!" What kind of motivated disciplined football player is gonna work for the average small tree co dragging brush and humping wood around!!

Its a free country buddy. Maybe you'd be better with the army bound, fottball playin jock, or whatever...
But the skateboarder type, directionless, still searching kind of young man is more my speed.
There's nothing against the law about that either. :chainsaw:

hahaha. figured that about you. lol. bet you are as cute as your sister too! your not into the emo crowd are you ben? you kidding right, you'd want a tight pant wearing pencil neck hump'n wood for you rather than a dirty nasty o-lineman or the likes?

treespect

You're in the same place as me, DK. I think that makes us fulltime plus. Ha! Take that, OD. :) Nothing wrong if your leads are honest, you're insured, and you do good work. I actually advertise though and I must say it gets tricky when you're bidding against your boss. We've basically come to the conclusion that if people are getting bids from both our companies, they're probably getting bids from everyone in town looking for the best price and neither of us will ever be that...EVER. This site is full of too many full timers. Where's my fulltime plus boys at?

treespect

Yep, "treespect" to you two also. yer not the type I was reffering to

Yo oldirty, the noodle thing, I dont get that?? lol

Anyways, we are supposed to be talking about wood boring weevils and the like here boys - or in this case hackers with no dedication to the profession taking good work out of the local tree economy.

No problem with fulltime treeguys going out and getting some extra bucks working with some friends weeekends some and whatnot. Thats treework, always been like that. Its joey fuel delirvery/wedding party planner/lawn dork/ knows a climber who is blaah, blaah, blaah. thats more what I was reffering to.

Nah, mine's more of a fine dust cuz my saw is sharper. :)

I was going to ask the same thing but I was kinda scared to knowing OD. With the bar ripping along the grain ( not cutting the end grain) you make noddles. I think I forgot what that was called. I think you can only noddle a log that is no bigger than the bar.

Latest posts

Back