I'm over it, moving forward

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had it with my groundie. looking for a new one tommorow.

He continues to take time off, (all I ask is that he work Saturdays), tells me he's going to at the last minute meaning anything I had planned out for weeks prior is now off unless I can do it alone, he thinks I need him more than he needs me and is honestly as ignorant as can be. I try to work with him, bend to his needs more often that I want, actually gave him a raise not to long ago but now he's finally broken me. Since April 1st, he's taken off at least 4 weekends and plans to take off ther next two. This is my busiest part of the season and I pay him quite well for what he does which honestly, isn't much other than lumping brush and logs. He shows no desire to further himself in any direction and continues to transform into a bum. If I can find someone even close to him, he's gone in a heartbeat. I have two weeks before he's going to be at work again so that gives me some time to set him free. :chainsaw:

"All I ask is that he work saturdays".... come on dude! you really expect sympathy here for your partime bread taking away from the rest of us gig??
Get real or go home! This bs with you and your weekend guy aint buying no sympathy here buddy!

Want some advice?? GET OUT!! let the pros who are more commited handle this tree thing! That way you can save on saws and belt loops for the old stoned washed. :)

Are you asking him to work Saturdays along with a regular 5 day work week? Or do you only work on Saturdays? Either way, I can't blame a man for wanting his weekends free. Not everybody runs 24/7 like the rest of us.

Are you asking him to work Saturdays along with a regular 5 day work week? Or do you only work on Saturdays? Either way, I can't blame a man for wanting his weekends free. Not everybody runs 24/7 like the rest of us.

Oh no, he's a partimer through and through, still claims freeclimbing is quicker than rope and saddle. 20 yrs climbing baby! just bought a saddle last year, lol.

No law says you gotta be full time at anything.

Hiring ppl can be tough. I bet you can find a replacement easily enough and if it is just Saturday work rather than 6 days a week it should be easier.

Gotcha.

I'm still a part timer too, though. At least as far as my own biz goes. So I can't hold that against him. As far as weekend help goes...ha ha ha...good luck. I pay my helpers well but I only offer them work from time to time. Who am I to get indignant if they got something else going? I'm not their bread and butter...just their pocket change. If I can't commit to them, why should they commit to me?

"All I ask is that he work saturdays".... come on dude! you really expect sympathy here for your partime bread taking away from the rest of us gig??
Get real or go home! This bs with you and your weekend guy aint buying no sympathy here buddy!

Want some advice?? GET OUT!! let the pros who are more commited handle this tree thing! That way you can save on saws and belt loops for the old stoned washed. :)

Lord O' Misery, not a another Saturday only tree guy.

I too need to get rid of my groundie and find somebody new. My problem however is that I don't do 5 or 6 days a week 52 weeks a year, or even close to it. Plus my work can vary from day to day... don't need a guy for stump grinding, or spraying, and when I cut the few lawns that I have I don't need a second body. I do however pay pretty well, I've been giving my guy $200 per day, and he's pretty darn good on some stuff, but he's been beating on my equipment lately, and only wants to work for short periods of time, and no hard labor... just pole clip work and that's all.

Lord O' Misery, not a another Saturday only tree guy.

C'mon guys, go easy on him. For all we know this could a sideline to a more profitable business. If he's being safe, doing good work and making an honest living while not breaking any laws, that's more than a lot of people can claim these days. By the looks of his equipment in his sig, he's probably into it the tree biz more then most weekend warriors.

I solved that problem.

If all you need is someone to stack brush and logs get a temp.

I found a sweet temp agency. When I break it open on my own I'll run the best guys during the week and request someone else for weekends. Someone goes down, cops a tude, or what not, I keep moving.

I slow down...I cut em loose...not my problem.

I can even break it up into two different shifts on long days.

Eventually, I'll get full time guys, but if they want the weekend off...no problem.

If I need an extra guy...no problem.

So far it has worked out great.

he says he uses Stihl chainsaws.

C'mon guys, go easy on him. For all we know this could a sideline to a more profitable business. If he's being safe, doing good work and making an honest living while not breaking any laws, that's more than a lot of people can claim these days. By the looks of his equipment in his sig, he's probably into it the tree biz more then most weekend warriors.

the sign of a real tree guy is Husky saws.if you don't have Husky saws,your just playin' with the wood.:greenchainsaw:

I'll answer a few questions and comments.

Yes, I ask him to work Saturdays only yet I go dawn to dusk 7 days a week at a number of different jobs, tree work being one of them. No the tree work isn't stable enough for anyone in the area to commit to doing it full time only so that's why its part time. Give me the work full time and Ill outlast any of you, no doubt about it.

No, he doesn't work a full week. He decides if wants to or not if its raining, cold, windy, if he's hung over, if he needs to clean his house, if he needs to change his oil, etc. Like I said, I try to work around what he does but ask that he be there on Saturday or even let me know in advance of not being there so I can schedule accordingly. Saturdays I dedicate to tree work. The rest of the week he can do what he wants and I continue to do other work, some tree related, because I can do most of it alone and don't want to wear out my welcome in terms of asking him to help.

We don't have temp agencies around here. For that matter, I've been putting up with him for so long because there really aren't that many people in the area that are capable of doing this type of work nor want to work. Even at $200 per day for handing me ropes and filling the fuel tanks with occasional brush lugging, it's hard to find someone. How much do I need to pay someone to go to work?

To all the guys that have their weekends off, how many of you own the business? There's no such thing as weekends off if you own the business, especially if you don't have good help.

And don't worry treemds, so long as you can do your job, I won't be taking anything from you. You're FARRRR to good for me. :monkey:

I'm just a part timer too, nothing wrong with that. Just in our small town there are 4 part time tree "co's". The area isn't big enough to support a full time co. in my opinion.

In this economy there are alot of people looking for part time work on the weekends to make some extra cash.

That's all I'm looking for right now. I'm in a position where in the next couple years I'll have to maybe do this more toward a fuill time job in that another guy that I work with as a sub to might be retiring and I'll have to make a decision on where to go with my future. I'd want to bring a helper with me toward a more full time position but where are they??? And as far as upgrading, all I want is equal. The guy that's here now has done nothing in the past few years to upgrade himself. No furthering his education, no new licenses, no equipment, no nothing, just the same old lumper day in and day out. The one good thing about him is he's strong as an ox but maybe its time to buy that mini skid with the grapple to offset his abilitys. Might be cheaper than $800/month that I'm giving him.

with Obamalamdingdong in office........................

I'll answer a few questions and comments.

Yes, I ask him to work Saturdays only yet I go dawn to dusk 7 days a week at a number of different jobs, tree work being one of them. No the tree work isn't stable enough for anyone in the area to commit to doing it full time only so that's why its part time. Give me the work full time and Ill outlast any of you, no doubt about it.

No, he doesn't work a full week. He decides if wants to or not if its raining, cold, windy, if he's hung over, if he needs to clean his house, if he needs to change his oil, etc. Like I said, I try to work around what he does but ask that he be there on Saturday or even let me know in advance of not being there so I can schedule accordingly. Saturdays I dedicate to tree work. The rest of the week he can do what he wants and I continue to do other work, some tree related, because I can do most of it alone and don't want to wear out my welcome in terms of asking him to help.

We don't have temp agencies around here. For that matter, I've been putting up with him for so long because there really aren't that many people in the area that are capable of doing this type of work nor want to work. Even at $200 per day for handing me ropes and filling the fuel tanks with occasional brush lugging, it's hard to find someone. How much do I need to pay someone to go to work?

To all the guys that have their weekends off, how many of you own the business? There's no such thing as weekends off if you own the business, especially if you don't have good help.

And don't worry treemds, so long as you can do your job, I won't be taking anything from you. You're FARRRR to good for me. :monkey:

you won't be able to pay anyone enough to work.

Nothing wrong with doing trees part time. Doesn't make you any less of a hard worker or a tree guy. Not sure what the big deal is. It is a passion, do it when you can. I love it! Who ever has a problem with that can come to Arkansas for an indepth discussion about it. :chainsaw:

Back