I'm pulling my hair out over my next purchase.......ms460 vs. 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0zarks2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
There's just too many choices out there and it's killing me. I finally narrowed it down to these two....the ms460 and the 372xp.

The ms460 just trips my trigger for some reason, I don't know why. Maybe it's the raw power (6 hp). It sounds mean as hell too. It feels good in my hands and the dealer support is everywhere.

Then the 372xp is better in the anti-vibe department, better filtration, but less power, and it just doesnt' look as good to me for some reason. I know aesthetics aren't everything but I'd like it to be sexy and perform....:hmm3grin2orange:

But, the 460 doesn't seem to get any love on AS....why is that? Price, Stihl brand hating? If price wasn't a factor which would it be? I'm probably not going to mod it, so don't let that factor in. I don't care which is cheaper either cause I'm probably gonna buy it new and have it for a looonnnnng time so I don't mind the investment.

The 460 has higher hp with I'm sure more torque hp to hp. The AV and filtration is surely adequate. I can't imagine the 372 being leaps and bounds better, but I don't know. Just don't want to make a mistake here. Surely, if these 2 saws were bone stock the 460 would handle big wood more effectively. Also, is the AV really that big of a deal? One more thing, Dolmar has no dealer support in my area so I ruled them out early on. I know somebody is gonna say 7900....lol. Thanks for the help.

I don't know about you, but AV doesn't mean much to me. I don't use a saw non-stop for 6-8 hours per day. I've used many older saws which did not have any AV and I'm no worse for wear. If a little vibration bothers me I could always get a good pair of AV type gloves and solve the issue that way. Either saw is a winner, but I tend to like the Stihls. Little simpler and not so many different models to deal with and determine which parts fit your saw.

There's just too many choices out there and it's killing me. I finally narrowed it down to these two....the ms460 and the 372xp.

The ms460 just trips my trigger for some reason, I don't know why. Maybe it's the raw power (6 hp). It sounds mean as hell too. It feels good in my hands and the dealer support is everywhere.

Then the 372xp is better in the anti-vibe department, better filtration, but less power, and it just doesnt' look as good to me for some reason. I know aesthetics aren't everything but I'd like it to be sexy and perform....:hmm3grin2orange:

But, the 460 doesn't seem to get any love on AS....why is that? Price, Stihl brand hating? If price wasn't a factor which would it be? I'm probably not going to mod it, so don't let that factor in. I don't care which is cheaper either cause I'm probably gonna buy it new and have it for a looonnnnng time so I don't mind the investment.

The 460 has higher hp with I'm sure more torque hp to hp. The AV and filtration is surely adequate. I can't imagine the 372 being leaps and bounds better, but I don't know. Just don't want to make a mistake here. Surely, if these 2 saws were bone stock the 460 would handle big wood more effectively. Also, is the AV really that big of a deal? One more thing, Dolmar has no dealer support in my area so I ruled them out early on. I know somebody is gonna say 7900....lol. Thanks for the help.

Huh? the 460 gets more love here than Justin Beiber at a Toys R Us

It's like 440's older brother that hands out noogies and wedgies

Go with the MS 460 32" bar dual port cover and 3/4 wrap handle go cut a pile of wood. Get the saw with the best after parts and service. Husky is good saws but lousy for parts and good dealers in my neck of the woods.

I like the 372 a lot better than the 460. The av does mean a lot to me. The stihls bother my hands after about an hour. I do run electric grinders a lot and they are probably the reason the saws bother me. The 660 I just sold bothered me after about 3 tanks in a row I could feel the buzzing after I quit cutting. The 460 does the same. There is a little bit of power difference with the stihl having an edge there.

I'm thinking about getting a 460 as well. At the moment I own the 440 and 441. Also have the 660. I find myself constantly using the 440 alot and the 441 has excellent anti-vibe but the 440 and 660 rubber AV mounts don't bother me a bit. I really want the in between saw though. I agree its alot more sexy looking than the 372. I really think when huskys come out with there new line of saws, which are very good looking, they will sell alot more saws. As for power the 460 has a great powerband to it. I love my buddy's evertime I cut with him I steal it for an hour or two throughout the day. I say go 460 and definitely throw a dp muff cover on it. Its insane with just that mod.. what ever you do don't buy a 441 for the same weight you will be packing more punch with the 460.....

AV is definately overrated IMHO. The only reason the 460 suffers in popularity is because of the 440. I would certainly still have my 460 if I hadn't bought a new 440 and put a 460 topend on it. I agree that the 460 is the better looking machine. With that said, my 372 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's an awesome saw as well. Of course, all of mine are ported.

Just to confuse you more, check the price on a MS650. In my area the MSLP is less than a MS460. But that might be different where you are. Or the dealer jacking up the 650's price. It really never found widespread acceptance, for whatever reason. It's closer to a MS660 than it is to a MS460. BUT, you can't go wrong with a MS460. Huskys are sold where they belong. In the discount stores with the Echos and Poooolans. The three are very similar. :potstir:

460+DP Muffler+MaxFlow Filter= :msp_biggrin:

I guess a simple carb adjustment is all that would be needed after such a mod, huh? Excuse me for my newbiness, but it would need richened up a bit, right? I know I said I didn't want to do a mod but a DP muffler seems appropriate enough.....no porting though, not yet anyway.

460 + dual port muffler cover + new limiter caps from madsen's (or wherever you want to pick up or order) for after you tweak the carb and you will be tickled. I would recommend a tach as well to get the tune right. I love my 460, it is my go to saw for almost anything unless really small.

If you're in good physical condition you should have no problems putting a considerable number of hours on one in a day.

They are only a pound or two heavier in the powerhead than MUCH weaker saws.

You know you want one....

I have never seen an XP saw in any chain store. You must be kidding.
Just to confuse you more, check the price on a MS650. In my area the MSLP is less than a MS460. But that might be different where you are. Or the dealer jacking up the 650's price. It really never found widespread acceptance, for whatever reason. It's closer to a MS660 than it is to a MS460. BUT, you can't go wrong with a MS460. Huskys are sold where they belong. In the discount stores with the Echos and Poooolans. The three are very similar. :potstir:

Stihl 460. It's s better choice, AV shouldn't mean much to many people (accept older folks, Now i ain't hating, I'm just saying). I feel as if the buzzing in the hands just meant i worked hard that day and I'm proud to be able to work that hard. One day I'll be b**chin' and moanin' about it too, So no hard feelings)

And you are right, The 460 is a damn good lookin' saw,

Good luck,
and Get 'er Done!

372XP, and send it to the Snellerizer... open the package, and after you have a little cuddle time with it, of course... send it off to him for the works. :cheers:

I want a 372, but have yellow and a green priority right now.

I agree the 460 is the best looking stihl saw going right now. If the av didn't bother me I would probably still have one or a 440. I'm only 28 and have the buzzing problems when running stihls. I'll take a lesser powered smoother saw over more power and discomfort later. I really liked the power of the 660 but it did make my hands ache after an hour or more.

Either saw will treat you fine for years to come. Is the 372 the xtorq or the old regular xp?

It's just too bad you can't get the best saw in that class... Ugh... Get the "other" German saw if you must... Go forth, and cut some wood. When it's broke in, bring it over, and let me try it...:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back