I'm trying to do a good deed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowell B

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My pastor's husky 335 just wouldn't run well. Hard starting, easily bogs down. I offered to take a look. I tore it down and cleaned it up. Washed out the fuel tank, fuel line and filter, cleaned sawdust out of the carb diaphragm. finally got it to idle with a decent trigger response. It still bogs down the revs top out at 5800 and slowly back down from there. What next?

I would either rebuild the carb or have it cleaned with an ultrasonic machine. I had a dolmar carb that had the same kind of problem and ended up swapping a carb I had lying around and it cured my problem.

It's normal to find sawdust fines atop the metering diaphragm. There's a vent hole in the cover plate.

Don't forget to check the spark arrestor while you have the hood up.

Cleaned out the muffler. debating whether to open up the main exhaust outlet a little.

Look to see if a new carb is offered for cheap. We often replace carbs here at the shop.

$20-30 vs $15 for a rebuild kit plus labor.

I can't find a Walbro WT459B on the interwebs. Is there a cross reference to a Zama or Tillotson?

I would say try the carb kit. Even if the carb kit gets it to 90% of factory perfect, he's better off than when you started.

If that doesn't get it done, he's probably into a new carb. Ask him to cover the cost of the carb.

You're already saving him a TON of bench time (at a minimum of $50/hr) if he were to take it to a shop.

Bought the carb kit and a fuel filter and new line. Will try to ultrasonic clean the old carb.

So I pulled out the old filter and line. That is a pain to get the line back in! I pulled apart the case and motor to figure out how to route it. Thats when I found the busted vibe spring on the back. So I guess I'll figure out the fuel vent that I hear is problematic. I tried to blow through the line with carb cleaner and it barely comes through. I tried to blow it with the air gun and both filters shot out like a rocket. When I'm done this fuel system will be awesome!

Check out the intake manifold for rip. I found that on my 335xpt and the new one from Husqvarna looked like an improved vertion.

Check out the intake manifold for rip. I found that on my 335xpt and the new one from Husqvarna looked like an improved vertion.

Intake manifold is soft and pliable no rips, same for impulse line. Waiting on last of parts to get here. Sprocket, oil & gas vent filters, rear vibe assy. Carb has been ultrasonic cleaned and new parts installed, gas filter and line are new. Muffler is modded. Can't wait to see if it comes back to life.

I have video of the running saw, but the file is too large. Tried compressing it, still won't upload. any ideas?

Latest posts

Back