"In tree" gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hook a thin tag line to my saddle for hauling some things up. If its heavy like a big saw I have my ground guy haul it up on a lowering line. My silky and on removals a wedge or 2.:chainsaw:

Basic gear in addition to harness and main line:

20' Lanyard on right side,
Silky zubat and secateurs on left side
Three spare biners
Three loop runners
First aid kit
Wedge
Cell phone
Water

Everything else gets sent up as I need it!

How come so many people seem to bring their phones with them into the tree? I sometimes take mine if I'm by myself just to be able to call in an emergency. But usually there are others around for that and the phone is just one more thing to clutter my bag and possibly drop. Plus in the tree I really don't want to hear my stinking phone ring. It kind of ruins my Zen as it were. (And yet somehow a chainsaw doesn't.)

How come so many people seem to bring their phones with them into the tree? I sometimes take mine if I'm by myself just to be able to call in an emergency. But usually there are others around for that and the phone is just one more thing to clutter my bag and possibly drop. Plus in the tree I really don't want to hear my stinking phone ring. It kind of ruins my Zen as it were. (And yet somehow a chainsaw doesn't.)

I have to take mine with me. Although I am a climber and enjoy wearing that hat, I am also the owner of my business and have to be available to talk to clients and at times, direct operations of my business. Back at my busiest point I was directing three other crews as well as making sales calls and climbing with my own crew. I don't have anyone to answer my phone anymore, I have to do it myself. In the busy season an unanswered call often means a missed opportunity. I'll look for Zen after I cash the checks. :D

Also, when I ran a crew for another service I was required to keep the nextel on me at all times.We were networked with a radio feature and kept in coordination through that feature. Had to be available to talk to the owner and higher ups. I used to have to carry the older, heavier cell phones an a biner on my belt loop. Don't ask me about loosing two of them when they got ripped off and fed through the chipper. :D

Last edited:
Tree service is just like any other business. To be competitive you have to be organized and communication is key.

A typical day in the busy season goes something like this: Before you arrive at jobsite one of your guys calls and says he overslept and is running late. Arrive at jobsite, get a call from someone who wants to schedule a sales call for an estimate. Get setup and into the tree. Phone rings. It your guy who is running late. He forgot the address and is lost. Give him directions for the second time. Get back to work. Phone rings again: "Hello Mr. tree md, your ad is about to expire in such and such and was wondering if you would like to repost it, blah, blah, blah". Get back to work. Phone rings again. "Mr tree md, we have decided to go with you on the Hackberry removal in our back yard and was wondering if we could get proof on insurance, blah, blah, blah". Hang up and call the insurance agent. Have him fax proof of insurance to the client. Hopefully by lunch you have some wood on the ground. Try to take care of your phone business at lunch. Back up in the tree. Phone rings again. It's the log truck trying to find you. Give him the directions again and try to guide him in to the jobsite. Back to work. Phone rings again. "Yes, I was wondering if you give free estimates? I'd like to have a tree removed, blah, blah, blah"....

That's how it is on a typical day in the busy season. However, my phone has been ringing less this year than anytime I can remember except for when I first started out.

Anyway, you get the picture.

always bring cigarettes, lighter, pistol and anvil. (anvil so you can show how large your gonads are and pistol to keep g-men moving (blanks if you wish.))

A paint gun would probably be more effective. They know you wouldn't really shoot them with a bullet. A paintball ?

...RUN BOYS, RUN! He's loading up again!

How come so many people seem to bring their phones with them into the tree?

I've been working solo for over a year now. (I'm a landscaper) My tree climbing is mostly for sport (kind of). I see a dead branch in a big old tree, I bring it to the customers attention tell them like $60 to whatever to go get it and I try to remember to hang the phone on my neck so if I need it I don't have to try to dig it out of my pocket. I rarely need a chainsaw because I don't have a groundie to help me rig something that big. It is a good supplement to my income but mostly I like the adventure and also I have some beautiful properties from the ground up the sky.

Topside phone

I don't climb with a phone or climb alone. It makes perfect sense to me to carry a phone while climbing if you've got a business to run or MAYBE a significant other that won't wait. But, SORRY, it does not make sense to expect to phone for help while climbing alone.

I think the most important thing you can have while climbing is someone on the ground.

Last edited:
I don't climb with a phone or climb alone. It makes perfect sense to me to carry a phone while climbing if you've got a business to run or MAYBE a significant other that won't wait. But, SORRY, it does not make sense to expect to phone for help while climbing alone.

I think the most important thing you can have while climbing is someone on the ground.

Yup, I agree. Best to have someone with you. I have done light prunes on my own but usually the HO is on the ground watching.

On the phone deal. Believe me there are times I would like to chuck my phone as far as I can. It is anoying when your trying to get work done and the phone will not stop ringing. I don't mind when it is customers calling but otherwise it is highly annoying. Any girl I have ever dated knows that I can't stand to be called while I'm working unless it's an emergency.

I do however bowhunt out of a tree a lot. I think a cell phone is indispensable in that situation. The are far more accidents and deaths due to falls from tree stands than firearm related incidents. My dad fell about 25' out of a tree doing repairs on his stand about 12 years ago in the middle of nowhere and alone. He broke his pelvis and was incapacitated. It was just a miracle that someone came through the woods close enough to hear him yell for help and get it for him. I think anyone who recreates in a tree should carry a phone with them.

Make no mistake, I'm all for climbing with a phone. I makes a lot of sense for many reasons. I'm just saying it's way too risky for a climber to depend on a phone as the first line of rescue.

I harvest woodlots in 'hollows' where there's no cell coverage - no point in me climbing with it. The work is usually routine and low risk. So, I mostly work alone. However, someone always knows my plan and where I am. If I have to climb or do any risky work, I'll take someone with me to watch my back(side), lol.

Sorry to hear about your dad's accident. Twelve years ago, cell coverage was probably worse than it is today. It might not have helped - especially laying on the ground "in the middle of nowhere". Please tell me he recovered ok.

I don't see the importance. They just sit there and become bored in my situation. They're not coming to save me that's for sure.

Yup, I agree. Best to have someone with you. I have done light prunes on my own but usually the HO is on the ground watching.

I have had zero success with that. Not even the gf watches. I do have someone within earshot. In the woods i have a walkie talkie. The phone would be handy if I needed 911 but otherwise I was just being funny about being lonely. I do wear it around my neck in case I need it.

I don't think I've ever climbed with a chainsaw while alone. But there are a lot of people here including me who also rec climb or climb during hunting season. It's not always feasible to have someone with you.

Obviously the phone won't save you in all situations. A person on the ground watching you who can get help is better. An additional person trained in rescue in the tree with you while the guy on the ground gets help is even better than that. But....let's be real.

If there's no coverage, it's also obviously useless. But coverage is getting better, and if you get a signal 911 becomes another tool to use in an emergency. I can envision scenarios where you've gotten hurt or stuck and can still manage to use the phone.

If you never risk a climb without someone in earshot, this is moot point. But while I won't say it's there to guarantee rescue, I don't think it's worthless. Someone who knows your plan might check on you after you don't show up for dinner, but if you f up at 0900 that's a long time to wait for help.

The whole business of climbing is based on managing risk. Each person has to decide at what point they're comfortable with the risk involved.

My comment about why so many people take them into the tree was based on the guys (and gals) who take them up when there are plenty of people on the ground to get help. I understand some need to run a business, but I think a lot of it is society's new addiction with always being connected. Half the reason I like climbing is because I can get away from all that even in the middle of everything.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to hijack the thread by getting into a cell phone debate. Let's get back to the rest of the gear.

:agree2:

No groundie = no climbing in my business. You often cop flak for posting that sort of thing but not only is it common sense but in many states of Australia, Worksafe make it part of their required code of practise. I would hate to have a fall and then discover my insurance wouldnt pay out because Worksafe found me in breach... :(

A very skilled and experienced arborist I know rigs a knapsack in the centre of large trees with water, 1st aid, muesli bars and whatever bits and pieces he thinks he may need. He then climbs with only the bare essentials. I keep thinking to myself, one day, when I have a decent removal and some spare time, I would like to try some of his techniques. Now if only I had some spare time.....

Final(?) thought about climbing with a phone

If there's no coverage, it's also obviously useless. But coverage is getting better, and if you get a signal 911 becomes another tool to use in an emergency. I can envision scenarios where you've gotten hurt or stuck and can still manage to use the phone.
Anyhow, I didn't mean to hijack the thread by getting into a cell phone debate. Let's get back to the rest of the gear.

After reading canopyboy's post, it occured to me that a topside phone might get significantly better reception if anyone on the crew needs 911.

No hijack taken - a topside phone can be very important to some. Now, moving on ... what gear?

Ok 1 more phone reference.

I traded my horrible Sonim PoS yesterday for a new Samsung which was the only other water/dust proof phone on the market. This things got a compass and an altimeter! Woohoo. Now I will be able to sit in the canopy and tell the Bureau of Meteorolgy that the 20kmh Sou 'westerly they forecast is actually a 75kmh roaring Easterly when you are at 30m!!

I would say that the crew leader needs to have a phone for emergencies, whether he be a climber or not. As far as rec climbing on your own. It is suggested that one carry a whistle. I do all of my hunting now in an agricultural area where phone reception is not a problem. There are spots where I don't get reception though. I have started carrying a whistle/compass combo just in case I need to signal for help. I believe that that is a little overkill for working though.

I have also started to carry my figure 8 on every climb. I kind of got away from doing that for awhile because I wasn't using it too much in the tree. However, it occurred to me that I need a quick way to be able to rap down in the event of an accident or emergency like disturbing a bees nest. As long as you have a split tail rigged you can get down pretty fast but sometimes I don't have it tied on my line when I first go up. Plus, if it gets damaged in an accident and you are injured it might be difficult to tie a traditional friction hitch and would take more time. I used to carry my rescue 8 on the very back of my saddle clipped on with a biner but I now carry it in my possibles bag on my hip so I can access it easily in case I get injured.

Last edited:
Make no mistake, I'm all for climbing with a phone. I makes a lot of sense for many reasons. I'm just saying it's way too risky for a climber to depend on a phone as the first line of rescue.

I harvest woodlots in 'hollows' where there's no cell coverage - no point in me climbing with it. The work is usually routine and low risk. So, I mostly work alone. However, someone always knows my plan and where I am. If I have to climb or do any risky work, I'll take someone with me to watch my back(side), lol.

Sorry to hear about your dad's accident. Twelve years ago, cell coverage was probably worse than it is today. It might not have helped - especially laying on the ground "in the middle of nowhere". Please tell me he recovered ok.

Yeah, he recovered just fine. He had to spend 6 months in a wheel chair though. He still climbs trees and hunts with his bow and arrow at 64. He now wears a safety harness whenever he leaves the ground though and carries a cell phone and whistle.

Back