Indecision strikes again.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a few minutes yesterday to look through my projects and try to decide which one to work on.
Really just took inventory to see which ones needed what.
After picking up several and just putting them back down, I decided to look at the Shindaiwa 488 that I got off of e bay as a junker to complete my partial 488 project.
Initial inspection revealed it was locked up, not a big deal, I needed the crank and not the cylinder. To my surprise it was not scored at all. Sprayed a little WD40 in it and worked it a bit, and it turned over. Put some more in it and it turns over smooth as silk with good compression. So now my "junker" looks like it just needs a carb rebuild, fuel line, and a muffler. So much for fixing my other one. Lol

I have the same issues, compounded by doing side work for others. My cousin just dropped off an 045 and a unknown stihl chop saw. In pieces in boxes, and said let me know what the bill is, I want them fixed right or thrown out. The 045 has the Bosch ignition issue. Have a cap ordered for that a wile. The cut off saw looks like a basket case. No idea why I'll get to start on that. Still waiting on parts for my 610evl echo, and need to finish cleaning up around my place this weekend. Also was recently blessed with my wife's grandmother's roof to fix before the weather gets nasty out. (She's paid 4 times now to have a leak fixed and it still leaks in the same exact spot. Guess it's my turn. And I get to do it for free.)

I have the same issues, compounded by doing side work for others. My cousin just dropped off an 045 and a unknown stihl chop saw. In pieces in boxes, and said let me know what the bill is, I want them fixed right or thrown out. The 045 has the Bosch ignition issue. Have a cap ordered for that a wile. The cut off saw looks like a basket case. No idea why I'll get to start on that. Still waiting on parts for my 610evl echo, and need to finish cleaning up around my place this weekend. Also was recently blessed with my wife's grandmother's roof to fix before the weather gets nasty out. (She's paid 4 times now to have a leak fixed and it still leaks in the same exact spot. Guess it's my turn. And I get to do it for free.)
Yeah finding time for MY projects is difficult when I have so many other things to do.
Just got finished fixing the 42" zero turn to sell, so I decided it was my turn.
But of course instead of fixing a saw, I just found out I had another project instead. Lol

Yeah finding time for MY projects is difficult when I have so many other things to do.
Just got finished fixing the 42" zero turn to sell, so I decided it was my turn.
But of course instead of fixing a saw, I just found out I had another project instead. Lol
I'm in the same to-do club, learning to say 'no' more often than 'yes'. I remember that my dad tried to teach me some of these things. My specialties are such that when I get a request to size up a job, I tackle the estimate with due caution. I wish I had earned a degree in civil engineering rather than hospitality management yet my career took me through the phases of design, equipping purchasing and opening 12 foodservice establishments bringing every one on line before turnover to a manager. Some folks think they can build on unstable ground to make a site stable. If it is unstable land that's how it is and will forever be. Mankind cannot change that. Because of such ridiculous property owners, I charge a service call or estimating fee for estimates and have no compunction about charging for my time experience and knowledge.

Had a few minutes yesterday to look through my projects and try to decide which one to work on.
Really just took inventory to see which ones needed what.
After picking up several and just putting them back down, I decided to look at the Shindaiwa 488 that I got off of e bay as a junker to complete my partial 488 project.
Initial inspection revealed it was locked up, not a big deal, I needed the crank and not the cylinder. To my surprise it was not scored at all. Sprayed a little WD40 in it and worked it a bit, and it turned over. Put some more in it and it turns over smooth as silk with good compression. So now my "junker" looks like it just needs a carb rebuild, fuel line, and a muffler. So much for fixing my other one. Lol
Good to hear. A friend gave me a 488 in exchange for some work. It needed a carb kit and is now second to my 361. Great little saw!

Check one off the list. Looked at a crusty Echo CS3000 last night.
TOO crusty. It was put away with the cyl at tdc and a dirt dobber made a big ole nest all the way into the cylinder. Can't get the piston to budge. This one will just be a parts saw in case I run into another one with a good cyl but in need of parts.

Check one off the list. Looked at a crusty Echo CS3000 last night.
TOO crusty. It was put away with the cyl at tdc and a dirt dobber made a big ole nest all the way into the cylinder. Can't get the piston to budge. This one will just be a parts saw in case I run into another one with a good cyl but in need of parts.

Mathew , are you saying the piston is at top dead center ?

Well I got my 488 together today.
Was able to get it to fire up and run for a minute. Smoked like a chimney. No telling what all old fuel was left in the crank case I have to burn out. It did start to smoothen up a bit, but it is hot and HUMID today.
I will give it another try tomorrow.

Speaking of the 488, how would it handle a 20" .325 B&C?
I ask because doesn't it use the same bar mount as the 46c Poulan Pros? K041

I ran a few 488s for several years before I caught the 346 bug. They'll do fine with a 20" .325 if you're not planning on burying the bar very often, especially in hardwood. I think of them as a great saw up to about 12-14" wood. I usually ran 16" bars, but if you wanted some extra reach it should be fine. I believe they'll also run K095 with little or no modification.

Didn't get to work on the 488 yesterday, spent the afternoon under the hood of my truck giving it a tune up, but I did realize that I am going to have to cut a tree down to test the saw.
I literally don't have anything in my yard at the moment to try a chainsaw on. 1st time in years.

Fired it up again, and cleared all the smoke.
Oils a 20" bar just fine. Fixed jet carb sounds pretty spot on, just a little 4 stroking at WOT.
Took the mufflers off of my 2 352s saws both looked good, but 1 looks brand new on the inside. So looks like my Shindaiwa lineup will be a 300s, 352s, and a 488.

Looked more at my 352s saws again.
A bit more work than I had hoped but not too bad. The saw with the good piston has a broken case, so I will at least have to swap the cylinder and pistons. So I pivoted to reassembling the 570XP. Got the carb rebuilt and the cylinder and intake back together.

Latest posts

Back