Indoor humidity vs. wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My indoor air is to dry in the winter

I have a house that has no furnaces ok well i have 3 houses hehe but I live in one and the biggest house doesnt get used yet cause its gonna be a summer camp for youngsters and my cabin is where I go for some quite and where my guest stay all 3 are rustic solid lumber mortis n tennon post n beam type constructs all have lopi wood stoves 2 of which are inserts and 1 just a freestanding model I have found for me perfect humidity is between 55 and 65 % no mold growth no condensation even on the cold windows the humidity makes the houses feel alot warmer then they really are and as long as you can keep it right there in the 50s or 60s your golden cause you will save alot of wood over the winter time and if you have alot of wood in the house it really helps the house breath properly and you to ive noticed since i was very little when its winter and its dry in the house it can be 80 degrees inside and feel like 60 but add the little bit of humidity and 65 feels like 80 and much much more comfortable with things like dry itchy skin and what not also ive found the humidity helps pack the heat into the rooms that dont have good circulation . I learned about this when I was about 5 i asked my grandmother why she always had a kettle on the stove and know I take her oldtimer advice to heart . in the cabin I do use a kettle on the stove I dont worry bout it in the big house no one is ever there because its just not used yet and the house I live in I simply use a squirt bottle with warm to hot water on a sacrificial plate I keep on the stove thats 3/8 steel and just give it a squirt in the morning and one at night and that seems to keep it right in my comfort zone I wish i could use the kettle up here but its a dang insert. so this method works just fine for me as for a hygrometer I just bought a indoor outdoor temp station that has the rh for indoor made by Taylor and costed about 15 bucks at wally world even records the min max and its wireless so hey cheap and works great .

40% is the goal, tough to get there, and just as tough to maintain it with our humidifier, goes through 7gallons per day. Someday I"ll tighten up this corn crib, and life should be better.:cheers:

I know what you mean dude, hard to reach it. My house was built in 1880, leaks badly. I have a Holmes tower for downstairs, holds about 2 gals and gets refilled twice a day (it would be three if my wife did it). Upstairs in the master bedroom is a smaller holmes, maybe half gal job.

I figure, if it feels warm, I don't get zapped holding my kid, kissing da wife, patting my cats and if our lips are not cracked and dry we're cool.

Tes

Latest posts

Back