Infected with CD - Homelite 150 $5

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn.m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
you guys have afflicted me! I was at a garage sale this week and picked up a Homelite 150, 16" oregon bar, 3 chains and a old Granberg sharpener for $5. runs too!
the guy broke the top handle off at the casting. He bolted a handle from a snow shovel onto it so he could keep going. :jawdrop: I have to take pictures and post them tonight.

It has compression and runs so I figure I could at least use the carb on my other dead Homelite. My wife just shook her head:jester:

lucky.

i got mine for free, but it needed fuel line. I got it running, only to have the recoil rope break off:bang:

Little loud, but very nice saw.

Got a question, are the little screws on your case STUCK? little phillips head screws. I couldnt get ANY of mine out.

Red, if those screws hold the two tank halves together they may not come out.

Some of them were permanently bonded.

Then How do I get to the carb? I took the starter off, the 2 carb screwes, and I couple more screws, but the 2 halves were stil lheld together by the case screws. I tried everything, including an impact screwdriver...no, I didnt break anything...lol.

Thankfully, I was able to Rig the ful line to work like it was, and the carb didnt need a rebuild, thankfully, again.

IT ran well, except for the clutch locking in at idle, intermittantly. It will run fine, idle, fine, clutch stalls like it should...then it will chatter for a second and grab, then stall the engine. If I gas it when it grabs, it wont stall.

Clutch is clean, and turns freely...ideas?

you have it bad.... real bad...:clap:

You have no idea how bad I have it...:dizzy:

My freinds are all out at clubs right now...Gettin Throwed, Gettin Hammered...Im on the internet talking about saws...:(

At least I wont be hung over in the morning...and I wont have to worry about some woman calling me with news that Im her babies daddy....:jawdrop:

All I have to worry about is kickback and Hot mufflers....:clap: :rock:

and Suckback.. watch out for the Suckback...:jester:

Yeah, Also my Rod...lack of lubrication in a High stress situation ends up with a broken, or badly damaged rod.

Not to mention jugs...there's all differnt sizes and styles of Jugs...:jawdrop:

Just chainsaw talk...ya know?:popcorn:

as promised pictures of the handle. I played with the high jet- noticed as I leaned it out it started to vibrate more.

homelitehandle.jpg

homelitehandle2.jpg

Homelite power!!! can someone tell what model saw the one in the middle is? it has low compression and the diaphram is shot. I do like the feel of it.

homelitepower.jpg

Looks to be a LAte model XL.

Great saw, I love my Early model XL, With the magnesium case.

The front saw...I gotta tell ya, I tossed on of those away last year, never idled right, never ran right, total disappointment. I never really got to cut with it, it just never worked right.

The 150 looks good, mine is just like that, but with a black air filter cover, and black starter cover, Good saw, you will enjoy it.

Id run 32:1 mix in it though..get the exhaust good and smoky, keeps the old Homey engines happy for a good long time.

My XL has run for hours and hours, literally hundreds of tanks of gas, always mixed real wet, since 1978. I can pull the muffler off right now, and Ill give you 10 bucks if you can spot a flaw i nthe cylinder or piston...:rock:

Ill admit, I give her the old "ferrari tuneup" every so often. I DO NOT ADVISE DOING THIS!!!!

you guys have afflicted me! I was at a garage sale this week and picked up a Homelite 150, 16" oregon bar, 3 chains and a old Granberg sharpener for $5. runs too!
the guy broke the top handle off at the casting. He bolted a handle from a snow shovel onto it so he could keep going. :jawdrop: I have to take pictures and post them tonight.

It has compression and runs so I figure I could at least use the carb on my other dead Homelite. My wife just shook her head:jester:

Welp, at least it wasn't her fist, or, um, your head :D :D

Good scoop for a fin!

:cheers:

and Suckback.. watch out for the Suckback...:jester:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Wood weavils. *shudder* They're probably what scared the 150 and gave it goose-bumps where da dawgs normally go :) We really should have a 'worst mod' thread for the handle job on it, poor little thing :(

:D

Last edited:
Homelite power!!! can someone tell what model saw the one in the middle is? it has low compression and the diaphram is shot. I do like the feel of it.
homelitepower.jpg

Best stab I can give would be one of the V1 Super 2 versions, this is a link to the SL model, not many pics of the others if any :( > http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...7340d0ab0d27835688256c2600491a3b?OpenDocument
Edit, nope, me was wrong, someone nailed it (Red), tis an XL (the little hump at the top of the handle gave it away), here ya go >
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...d4b1071a456ca76c88256cd6001cc24c?OpenDocument

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Then How do I get to the carb? I took the starter off, the 2 carb screwes, and I couple more screws, but the 2 halves were stil lheld together by the case screws. I tried everything, including an impact screwdriver...no, I didnt break anything...lol.

Red, To get to the carb, the engine will slide out from the case leaving the carb exposed from the inside. Sounds like you've removed the 2 carb screws already. Ya gotta do this or you can't seperate the engine assembly from the case! You need to also rmove the front handle (2 bolts below and 1 on top of the handle), and there's 2 bolts on top and 2 on bottom in the mid section of the saw. Remove these and then grab the top mount of the handle and pull it along with the engine assembly out and forward from the body. The carb will be sitting inside the body with the choke and throttle linkage attached. Ya have to find the right angle of twist to then seperate the carb from the linkages. 150s are a bit tricky at first, but after a couple of times, they're not really so bad.

Dan

great info guys!
The unknown year XL has a primer bulb on top of the gas filler and a adjustable chain oil lever. choke is on the left hand side.
The only way to make it run is pump the primer bulb like crazy and pull away. It will fire up and then die as it runs out of gas. It has a real good feel to it and feels like I could one hand it very easily to do tree topping.

the Homelite in front 45cc 18" bar from home depot did cut about 8 or so cord. then the oiler started going crazy. Leaves a oil spot on every surface I leave it. Tried drilling some holes in the muffler and adjusting the carb. That didn't really work that well.

I will have to gently try out the 150 in some wood tonight.

Latest posts

Back