Info of gear bag....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As far as gear goes what do you need. ex: Climbing boots Would you use chaps or pants.. I know good clothes with lose legs....What else should a beginner have....???:blob2:

Resistant leg wear is required for ground work in the US, not for climbing. Chaps would get in the way, if you want something go with pants, but they are like $75-100 a pair.

As far as PPE goes, the employer is required by law to provide it, and should require and enforce it's use. Could be a loss of claims coverage if an accident occures and safety standards are not followed.

Personal gear decisions are just that, many find it better to have their own rope and saddle. Maybe handsaw and other parts that they do not want otheres to be using. I want my saw sharp ALL the time.

Hapine-e-e-esssss is a sharp saw, Mamma...

John is right, for the most part this stuff is personal preference. For boots, it depends on what you will be doing and what you are comfortable with. I believe several guys on here wear logger boots, while others wear boots with much smaller heels. As far as pants go, it depends on how much you want to spend on them. I just bought myself a few pairs of Arborwear pants (very comfortable & durable) but they are pricey. You can use blue jeans, or Carhartt pants, or whatever, however I don't recommend that you wear shorts. Ropes are again, what do you like... do you want the 12, or 16 strand? What colors do you want? What characteristics do you want? For spurs (used on removals or dead trees only) that is again a matter of preference. You can get them with offset gaffs, or non-offset gaffs, you can choose from a whole array of leg pads to use with them. The snaps you use are up to you (so long as they are approved by ANSI for what you do. The saddle you use is the same thing. I would suggest to you that you visit several arborist supply stores and check out everything that they have.

Climbing gear is specialty equipment, especially in this discipline.

i would suggest getting a Sherrill catalog; if only for the education; but certainly that candy staore will invite more than that! Sherrill has banded to-gather with Vermeer, so you could check yellow pages for closest one of those if you like!

But, other wise, local distributors; at least in this neck of the woods are the exception, rather than the rule. We do have 2 carrying some rope etc.; but i have been lobbying them for years, perhaps you could do same!

i point out that it shows care and service for tree proffesionals, the gear is super tough and can be used in other areas: any climbing, rescues, swat, mountaneering etc.

I have 2 lawn mower shops near me who sell tree gear, really just ropes and chain saws and a few saddles and what not... but in an emergency they have what I need usually. About an hour away from my house is a place that deals specially with tree equipment; sprayers, chippers, grinders, ropes galore, boots, saddles, etc. Otherwise I have been ordering through the magazines lately and it's been working out well...

If you are not in a big big city, wait for your ISA chapter meetings. there are always several vendors at ours. The usualy discount at them too.

For modest purchaces I will stick with Sherrill jus because they do such a good job with the catalog. If I want a single high ticket item then I will shop around.

If I beed a four figure order of a lot of stuff, I go back to Sherrill and have them good ol' boys give me a scale.

I was getting like 15% off an item and Stewart said if I order 5 more it goes up to 20%

Back