Info on new lo-pro greenteeth system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD MAN GRINDER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thinking of switching over to either greenteeth or yellow jacket teeth for my sc252, greenteeth has went to the tap and turn system, anybody have any thing to share good or bad on this new system, about 100.00 cheaper than the yellow jacket system, need to make the switch b4 the first of the year one way or the other,,,any info would be much appreciated,,,

Thx much..

Bob,,,,:confused::yoyo:

Thinking of switching over to either greenteeth or yellow jacket teeth for my sc252, greenteeth has went to the tap and turn system, anybody have any thing to share good or bad on this new system, about 100.00 cheaper than the yellow jacket system, need to make the switch b4 the first of the year one way or the other,,,any info would be much appreciated,,,

Thx much..

Bob,,,,:confused::yoyo:

Have tried emailing Green Manufacturing several times and they wont even reply.
We tried to order a conversion kit and spares for a machine to trial but they must be afraid their system wont stack up.

Did a search last night, got a lot of info, but nothing much on
the tap and turn system, anybody using it ???

Kinda leaning toward the yellow jacket system right now, its a little
more expensive but feel it was made for the grinder i have, just concerned
with the tap and turn system, that teeth might fall out w/o a locknut.

We have mostly sandy soil down here, rocks are usually not a problem..

I know there has been a lot of posts on this subject, but would still like
any info anybody would like to give, have not made a firm decision yet..

Thx much..

Bob...:cheers:

Yellow jackets!!! I have tried just about all the teeth/wheels out there for my 252 & none have done better than the yellow jackets....IMHO

LXT...........

I was looking on Green's website and I thought it said they were discontinuing the tap/turn due to "declining sales", which means guys must have been having trouble with them for one reason or another

DO NOT BUY THE TAP N TURNS THAT HAVE NO NUT ON TOP!!!! maybe they are the only tap n turn idk but dont buy em. Unless u NEVER see a rock then maybe . I bought them and then had to buy all new ones with the set nut on top , and they are just ok. I think they dull fast and some times I have problems with the side of the nut that faces the stump getting beat to crap and then I have a heck of a time getting nut off. Had to leave a tooth "un turned" yesterday because of that . Maybe I can get it off with a small pipe wrench . I wish I had never bought greenteeth . They are a great idea that really doesnt work that well.IMO

I was looking on Green's website and I thought it said they were discontinuing the tap/turn due to "declining sales", which means guys must have been having trouble with them for one reason or another

They break way to easy.

Thx for all the input everybody, i think i will go with the yellow jackets, i have been using the 1/2 square ones and really can't complain too much about them, they seem to hold an edge well, but they are just a complete pita to change out, you have to measure distance from the pocket to make sure you get them all the same distance, among other things, there main advantage is they are CHEAP... lol...

Thx again..

Bob..:popcorn::cheers:

I have the green teeth on my promark walk behind grinder and they do a decent enough job. The nuts have a tendency to get beat up so I spent 10 bucks on a box and keep them in the truck. No fuss and it is like having 3 sets of teeth all in one without the bulk.

I have the green teeth on my promark walk behind grinder and they do a decent enough job. The nuts have a tendency to get beat up so I spent 10 bucks on a box and keep them in the truck. No fuss and it is like having 3 sets of teeth all in one without the bulk.

Thx much for your input..

Bob...:cheers:

LXT, what size greenteeth did you use before going to yellowjackets and was the difference noticable enough to warrant the switch? What makes the yellowjackets better?

I've been using the 1100 series deep dish greenteeth on my 252 for about 5 or 6 years now and been happy with them. Not rocky here though so they seem to hold up well unless I hit metal, concrete or big rocks. Then they do break and cause a lot of wear to pockets and nuts. maybe that's the key... in clean soil they're good, in rocky soil they're not so good.

AP

Well went with the yellow jackets, dealer gave me a good deal, plus threw in some extra bolts and nuts, and knocked 1.00 off the per teeth price for 10 extra teeth i bought with the setup..

Thx everybody for your input, can't wait to try them out..

Bob..:cheers:

Well went with the yellow jackets, dealer gave me a good deal, plus threw in some extra bolts and nuts, and knocked 1.00 off the per teeth price for 10 extra teeth i bought with the setup..

Thx everybody for your input, can't wait to try them out..

Bob..:cheers:

Please report back your opinion on the yellowjackets after you've field tested them.

AP

DO NOT BUY THE TAP N TURNS THAT HAVE NO NUT ON TOP!!!! maybe they are the only tap n turn idk but dont buy em. Unless u NEVER see a rock then maybe . I bought them and then had to buy all new ones with the set nut on top , and they are just ok. I think they dull fast and some times I have problems with the side of the nut that faces the stump getting beat to crap and then I have a heck of a time getting nut off. Had to leave a tooth "un turned" yesterday because of that . Maybe I can get it off with a small pipe wrench . I wish I had never bought greenteeth . They are a great idea that really doesnt work that well.IMO

G'day TreeAce, My Carlton runs the greenteeth also and I find that the nut and the pocket holding the cutter wear big time if you run them a bit on the blunt side for to long.

I saw that as the diameter of the tungsten carbide cutter reduced from use it no longer gave protection to the nut in particular, and secondly the pocket, which will wear excessively just below the part on the pocket that holds the cutter.

At the price of the pockets and cutters (say $26 & $12.50 Au) if Sandvik was more available in Aus. I'd have to change over when the current cutter wheel was getting on in age/wear.

As far as three cutting edges, Not here, I get 2 and thats it.

Be nice to be able to buy the new tungsten carbide cutter edges and replace them on the used cutters of which I have hundreds.

The greenteeth are good when new, but you lose the cutting edge very quickly in bad conditions.

Creeker,
another Aussie here, have you used any other teeth systems to compare the performance of the green teeth?
The sandvik system is interesting but I have my doubts about it the same as the multitip teeth and wheel to me.

Gday Stevo, only ever used the greenteeth, have no experience of others on any machine I've used or seen.

Reading up on grinders over the last 2 or 3 years I have noticed that very few users have something negative to say about the sandvik, and pretty much all swear by them.

I've been using the Sandvic system for about 5 years and I think it is bullet proof. The cutters are strong and last a long time. No other system comes close to the Sandvic system. IMO

Hey great to know the system is good but over here in Australia, I don't even know if you can buy it locally. It doesn't look like there is anyone here selling it so... if that is the case why not? If the whole system is good and lasts etc..... I have asked the question as to who sells it here and am waiting on a reply. Sandvik make tungsten carbide one would think they would want the system sold here

Noel

Back