Info/opinions on 075 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
An aquantance of mine is kind of a saw guru in these parts. He used to live here but now hangs his hat in BC. Makes a big part of his income repairing/restoring saws for people in the industry,and comes home every other year or so to visit family and friends. Finances the trip with a load of rebuilt saws. Bought a really nice working 064 from him this trip. Looks a little rough but cuts like gangbusters.

He's got an 075 for sale, cheap. About 32" bar (I think) and a new .404 chisel chain. Full wrap handlebar. Saw again cuts well, but I'm used to newer stuff. Seems to rev a lot slower, more torque. Heavy old saw, but I get the feeling it would be tough to kill. Info, opinions?

He does cutoff saws too, and has a monster with this same motor on it.

That saw will do anything you ask of it, other than be nice to your back, save you on gas money, and make parts easy to find. A saw of this kind really comes into it's own nowadays milling. The darn thing weighs better than 25 lbs! They're heavy, torquey cool old saws that do in fact rev alot slower. You can cut with them all you like, but there will always be a lighter saw to use for the same job. As far as reliablility, I wouldn't say they're any more reliable than your 064, and parts for the 075 are harder to come by, and cost more when you do. I'd venture to say that your 064 will easily handle any felling or bucking job you'd have the 075 could do. If you mill, the 075 is the saw for you.

Jeff

Thanks, pretty much what I thought about the power of the 064. I know I took down a shade tree hard maple a few years ago with my 034 super that was about 40" across where I cut it (above the fence) and got about 18 face cord of firewood out of it, so the 064 will handle anything I want to knock down without nearly as much wait time. He sold the 075 yesterday to someone that wants it for knocking big stuff down to a size he can get in his bandsaw mill.Now if I can just get my hands on the pair of 084 parts saws I've been promised!

The 075 is a tank. I saw a lot of them when I worked at a Stihl dealership in south central B.C. 36" bars and .404 chain for cutting cedar. They were maintenance intensive, the mounting ears would break off the tank, prone to air leaks and that miserable little decompression valve would not stay tight.

Latest posts

Back