Stihl 028 WB Rebuild | Full Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Made in West Germany" nameplate arrived this week from Australia... A big thanks to WheresWally!
So here are the final pics. It turned out better than I imagined when I started this project and it runs like a banshee.

Thanks to everone that followed along, commented and gave advice. I'm looking forward to my next rebuild project.

-Dan

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-77.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-78.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-79.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-80.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-81.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-82.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-83.jpg

A true powder puff. What a restoration!

It's a little whiter We are still looking for a grater white. The old gray we found but the newer white is hard to find
Stihl switches back and forth with there shades some parts are different shades of white with a little gray

If you powder the whole saw the shades aren't as noticeable

Does this make sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardston-which electronic coil did you use ? what number. did you use the points flywheel with it ? also what number.
i want to convert mine but there is some debate over what combination works.
astounding job on your rebuild, wow. i struggle with the basic things.
thanks

Awesome restoration. I hope you realize what youve done though. I'm looking at my 028s with new eyes and I'm simply going to have to restore one of them. The 026 shows promise too though, and, of course, there's my all time favorite pair of 024s......

Dan I got a 028 super a month or so ago torn it down blasted powdered and new bearings seals gaskets rings on base gasket

Had .021 squish 518 the base and buttoned it up

It's not as pretty as yours but it don't look bad I need a few new parts have to keep looking plastic recoil 4 bolt and a air filter cover

I got a new tank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
c782ba362f1c9066439626f71159c4a0.jpg
f8c770f0437193f7ac8a9b8b13a9cacc.jpg

Awesome job on the rebuilds, guys! :bowdown:

Just picked up a nice clean 028 super with a bad p&c from Jon1212, gonna swap jugs from a buddy's smashed saw and give it to him. Now I'm really wanting to keep it. :(

Welcome to AS! I am an 028 lover. Like you, I didn't take any before pix of my first 028, but it cleaned up real nice and I found it very nice to use. I just like the feel of an 028. This is by no means an origanal quote but "028's have cut cubic miles of firewood". Should be no problem to find good used parts. As far as the rubber parts go, I would just buy new. Have fun! DW
the 024/026 av mounts look the same ,mabey save some $

I've contacted 2 different dry ice blasting since last Friday and both said they don't have very good success when trying to remove old powder coat. I think sandblasting the parts is not a good option due to the media residue that get's left behind. I wouldn't want anything in the crank case or oil reservoir to cause damage. So it looks like my only option at this point is soda blasting, but I can't get a hold of the only local guy that soda blasts. He never picks up the phone and hasn't returned my calls since last Saturday...:mad:

Anyone have experience re-powdercoating a saw?? Would love some advice...

I've stripped, cleaned and repainted 2 of the 3 parts of the muffler. Used Rust-Oleum High Heat paint.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-25.jpg

Still in the process of cleaning up the third muffler part. I kind of like the bare metal look.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-26.jpg

Flywheel is ready go. Spent nearly an hour cleaning it up with solvent, Q-tips and compressed air.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-28.jpg

And the first of the replacement parts have begun to trickle in. I scored a find on the bar. One of my local Stihl dealers still had a Wood Boss logo bar. I don't think they are made anymore although I think it's just a Rollomatic E, with the different logo on it. But it should look good on a 028 WB, at least until it's cut a cord of wood or so ;)
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-27.jpg
like the domed piston

Hi All! I just started a rebuild of Stihl 028 WB and then it occurred to me that there are probably forums where I could post the progress as well as get advice along the way. Google brought me here and I've spent several hours perusing all the great information that can be found here. So yeah, I'm new here :)

Background
In 1979 my family moved into a new house that had a wood burning stove. I was 12 at the time and my dad bought a new chainsaw to cut wood for the stove. He would drag me along in the summer and we would fell trees, cut and split the wood and haul it home. I have a lot of good memories from the 3 or 4 years that we spent doing that.

Fast forward to 15 years ago when a windstorm blew down several trees on either end of the street that I lived on, blocking all the cars. The city was inundated with cleanup and it would be several days before they could get to our street. My dad came by, brought his saw and helped me clear the trees. When we were done, he gave the saw to me as he didn't need it anymore. The saw has sat unused these 15 years since that day and I've since moved into a home with a proper fireplace. I've been looking at new chainsaws to stock up on some wood and then it occurred to me that maybe the old saw would be worth fixing, but I figured it had seen better days and probably wouldn't even run.

Condition
I doubt the saw has much more than 100 hours on it, but my father has never been one to really care about taking care of his tools. He would throw the saw in the back of the pickup and I would hear it bouncing the 30 or 40 miles home on our trips. I remember thinking at the time, "that can't be good for the saw". Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, I got the OCD gene and keep all my tools & power tools well maintained. I have a 13 year old Honda Commercial mower that every year one of my neighbors comments on my "new" mower.

I pulled the saw out and it was a real mess. I took the bar and chain off and then pulled the spark plug and looked into the cylinder. I was expecting rust, but it was bright shiny metal! Maybe there was hope. I emptied the old gas out and added some non-ethanol mixture along with a capful of Berryman B12 Chemtool. It took 5 or 6 pulls but it finally choked to life. I could feel good compression on the pulls, so that was a good sign. Thick black & gray smoke poored out of it and it chugged along for several minutes. After about 5 minutes of me revving it, but not to full throttle and then letting it idle, the smoke cleared up and it ran quite smoothly. I worked it up to full throttle. I was shocked by how loud and torque-y (new word?) it was. Honestly, it felt better in my hands than a couple of the new saws I had checked out. And the sound and smell instantly brought back memories with my dad. So I have no choice-I have to restore this baby.

Goal
I'd like to restore it to as new of condition as possible including cosmetically, if for no other reason than I like my tools to look nice. Some parts are no longer made, so that presents a challenge. I may look into getting the frame and tank media blasted and then powder coated. If anybody has experience or insight on re-powdercoating, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Let's get started
I had already done some clean up on the saw when I thought to look for a forum. So I don't have any pictures from the original condition. Drat. But it was a real mess. Here's where I'm at now.

Pulled the plastics. I had to cut the top one off as the screw attachment to the cylinder head was froze. Once I cut it off I used some pliers to torque the screw out. I didn't strip out the threads-so good. I've done some clean up on the chassis at this point. Pulled the clutch drum and oil pump gear. Pulled the muffler.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-1.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-2.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-3.jpg

Pretty cool. Made in West Germany.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-4.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-5.jpg

The chains and bar have seen better days.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-6.jpg

The chain catcher was broken when I pulled it off.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-7.jpg

The chain adjuster bolt was bent too. How does this even happen?
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-8.jpg

Cleaned up the clutch drum and oil gear. They look almost new. The good thing on the inside of the clutch drum is that there is almost no wear on it. I can't see or feel a groove or depression.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-9.jpg

So that's where I'm at. I've started a long parts list and my local Stihl dealer has already placed the first of what I'm sure will be many orders. I'll probably end up paying as much or more in time and money as I would to buy a new one. But from the nostalgia point of view, it doesn't really matter and it will be a fun project.

I welcome all your advice and critiques and look forward to them.

-Dan
I'm in the process myself health has slowed resto down but complete cosmetic and mechanical even attempted saving original stickers was tricky. Used implement paint (Ford light grey) good primer and very durable clear coat on casing. This is my first resto as well I hope I can get myself acclimated to do many more. Thoroughly enjoy this type of work! Good luck!

Back