Stihl 028 WB Rebuild | Full Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jar, flywheel, coil and muffler are on.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-65.jpg

One mod I made to the saw from the original condition is putting in an electronic coil.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-66.jpg

Soldered on a connector and used some heat shrink tubing.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-67.jpg

Wired up and carb is in.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-68.jpg

This is the original unflocked air filter.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-69.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-70.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-71.jpg

That is so sweet! Another tiny but useful upgrade is the rubber grommet that covers the carb adjusting screws. It keeps crap
From coming through the opening. Nice work!!

That would be sweet. I couldn't find the part shown in the IPL. Do you know the part #? I'm not sure how a cover would cover the set screws though...
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-72.jpg

I went to put the rest of the clutch assembly together and couldn't find the needle bearing. I spent 20 minutes going through my meticulously labeled Ziploc bags. Tore my workbench area apart.... it was nowhere. Nada, zilch, zip. Luckily my local dealer had one in stock! Just picked it up and I'm back on track.

Hmmm.. she's looking ready to fire up.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-73.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-74.jpg

She's pretty much done. I need to paint the logo on the chain cover and I'm waiting on a Made in West Germany nameplate. WheresWally was kind enough to send me an extra one that he has. Once I get those finishing touches done, I'll take some proper 'beauty' pics of the saw and post them.

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-75.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-76.jpg

Cardston you did a magnificent restoration! What do you estimate your overall cost was?
Is this saw going to see wood or become a piece of art inside your home?

I love my 028av Woodboss on so many levels.

Cardston you did a magnificent restoration! What do you estimate your overall cost was?
Is this saw going to see wood or become a piece of art inside your home?

I love my 028av Woodboss on so many levels.
Thanks! I tracked the costs and lets just say that I could have bought a new Stihl, with a few more CC's for cheaper. It was never really about the cost for me... It was my dad's saw and full of memories of good times we had when I was growing up. It will be a shelf queen in my office. That being said, I ran a full tank through it yesterday after I got it tuned and she screams.

I've got a couple 048's and an 044. I'm deciding what project will be my next for a good 'user' saw.

I went to put the rest of the clutch assembly together and couldn't find the needle bearing. I spent 20 minutes going through my meticulously labeled Ziploc bags. Tore my workbench area apart.... it was nowhere. Nada, zilch, zip. Luckily my local dealer had one in stock! Just picked it up and I'm back on track.

Back