Stihl 028 WB Rebuild | Full Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan you shouldn't have any problem with the powder being only heated to 250 f

that's a slick way of doing it !

Dan you shouldn't have any problem with the powder being only heated to 250 f

that's a slick way of doing it !
I was watching it closely in the oven with fingers crossed there wasn't going to be any sag or melting. I was worried the PC might get soft. But not so much as as smudge or fingerprint in the PC. :)

Looking ahead... Should I pack the bearings with grease prior to putting the oil seals on??? Good idea or no?

Installed the oil pickup on the clutch half of the case. The connector (the metal bent tube) is press fit into the case. I had to remove the old one to true up the gasket edges and I could only get the new one in about 1/4 of the way. Using a strip of 320 sandpaper on a dremel mandrel I cleaned up the inner surfaces of the case hole, applied a dab of Hondabond and press fit the connector. It took a little bit of elbow grease to get it to seat fully. But it's not going anywhere now.

Next up is mating the crankcase together.

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-62.jpg

After you got it together just put a little oil it the bearing and move them around
I learned my lesson a little goes a long way. . I put allot and now my saw won't start. Keeps oil fouling the plug. S last night I sprayed allot of ether in the carb plug the plug and cranked . Pulled muffler and now is sitting open. Tonite I'll choke it until spark plug (plug wire off) has fuel on it so I know it's lubed. Change plus and hope it goes.

Crankcase is put together. I put a thin film of Hondabond HT on each side of the gasket. From a purely aesthetic perspective I like it better than say Dirko because it's gray in color and blends in better with the case color. Looking at the pic, I realize I need to drive the set pin in further on the front.

I'll be away for the holiday so it will be awhile before I have further progress to post on the saw.

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-63.jpg

The oil pump, clutch spider, bar bolts and AV rubbers are in as well.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-64.jpg

I'm back home and back at the rebuild. I've got an issue, actually not so much as an issue, rather a puzzler. I've checked the squish with the new cylinder gasket (it had a cylinder gasket when I took it apart). Torqued the cylinder bolts to spec and with 4 pieces of .035 solder at 90 degree angles around the piston head, none of the solder got so much as an impression.

So I yanked the gasket and checked squish again. This time all four pieces of solder were between .023 and .026.

How is this possible? Assuming it was built to spec (maybe I shouldn't) with a .5 mm gasket (compressed down to ?) the original squish would have been north of .035-.040.

Second question-with average squish currently around .0245, should I lap the cylinder base until I get to .019-.021? Or just leave it as is?

.5mm is just ~.0197" probably compresses a little. Should have you around .040" I've twisted up some of the .035 solder before just to get a rough estimate of squish before pulling a cylinder off for re ring or what have you...

I would go with what you have.

.5mm is just ~.0197" probably compresses a little. Should have you around .040" I've twisted up some of the .035 solder before just to get a rough estimate of squish before pulling a cylinder off for re ring or what have you...

I would go with what you have.
I'll go with the 2 out of 2 concensus and leave it :)

I'll have pics tomorrow...

Just my opinion is that if you want to try to get all you can out of it, then yeah try for a tighter squish band, but at that point you might as well be doing some port work and machine work, and the machine work is where you'd want to make up for the tighter squish band.

Crankcase is put together. I put a thin film of Hondabond HT on each side of the gasket. From a purely aesthetic perspective I like it better than say Dirko because it's gray in color and blends in better with the case color. Looking at the pic, I realize I need to drive the set pin in further on thet.

I'll be away for the holiday so it will be awhile before I have further progress to post on the saw.

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-63.jpg

The oil pump, clutch spider, bar bolts and AV rubbers are in as well.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-64.jpg
Man that powder coat is beautiful!!!

Back