Injured climber rescued in CT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a stub climbing hack to me. No spikes, no lifeline and no helmet.

The stubs on the spar are a hallmark of an amateur.

Why always harpoon someone.Look closer he has a belt and strap.There are many ways to do tree work. Your way is not always the best for some people.

Why always harpoon someone.Look closer he has a belt and strap.There are many ways to do tree work. Your way is not always the best for some people.

The idea is not to harpoon him, the idea is to educate so it doesn't happen to others.

There is a right way and a wrong way. That is the wrong way and you are very likely to get hurt if you know no better than to do it that way.

As for climbing stubs without a lifeline to come down on, climbing with a lifeline is not only the right way it is the only way.

Last edited:
Some people look at those stubs and see handholds and footrests.

I look at them and see something that will rip a man apart if he slips.

The stubs could become a hazard should the climber fall but they are definitely an obstruction for lowering limbs. Anyone who even has the very basic climbing experience will find that even one stub left on the spar will often snag a limb that is being lowered.

Just an FYI Cutter: Climbing with only a belt and lanyard will not allow the climber to have two tie in points while making cuts. One of the most basic industry standards. Any professional climber is going to take a lifeline along on an ascent so they have a way to quickly descend in the event of a major cut or injury. It could be the difference in making it to the hospital in time to live or being stuck in the tree and bleeding to death while waiting for rescue.

That picture doesn't even make sense....

Once I was on a removal and the climber chunked about a 3 ft piece that had a cable in it. Ash, so not the heaviest but not that light either, especially with the shock load. The cable had been cut from the other side of the tree already and somehow got caught in the flip line. Anyways while this other guy was putting on spikes and saddle, I asked the climber if he wanted me to send him up the bolt cutters or was he hurt too bad. 30 seconds later he cut himself free and rappelled down...

Well he should have a rope to.It sure would have let him come down with out a fire truck.All I am saying is give good info on right way just dont say stub climbing hack.Some trees the nubs are a hazzard but take down a norfork pine or a monkey puzzle and I can make fast work of it leaving nubs on sides.I will say I always have my rope and belt with me though.

No, there really aren't to many ways to do tree work.
I think MD was only stated the fact that the guy was poorly equip for reconsiliation purposes anyway. I mean, I ( for one) I am glad it wasn't one of us professionals, in a morbid sense I feel better that is was , well, who it was.
I think whoever was in charge over there not only screwed himself with his ignorance but also had to bother the fire dept with his, uhm, lack of experiance. I am sure the fire department doesn't agree that there are many to put out a fire. I am pretty sure they go with protocol.
But , yes, good the guy was ok.

Last edited:
Well he should have a rope to.It sure would have let him come down with out a fire truck.All I am saying is give good info on right way just dont say stub climbing hack.Some trees the nubs are a hazzard but take down a norfork pine or a monkey puzzle and I can make fast work of it leaving nubs on sides.I will say I always have my rope and belt with me though.

Man, I do not want to be an ####### and do not have the amount of experience that others have.. but I do not see why you would leave a stub, that only gets in my way, going up and when I'm chunking it down.

I suppose one could leave a nice natural crotch for rigging but I'd rather be using a block.

Also it says he was about 50 ft up. quite possibly he cut the top out and was struck by that, although I originally thought it was a piece of the trunk like Dan said. It looks like he has a power line leather belt and strap in the photo. Had all those stubs not been in the way he could have climbed down "easily" or atleast faster than waiting for FD.

Last edited:
No, there really aren't to many ways to do tree work.
I think MD was only stated the fact that the guy was poorly equip for reconsiliation purposes anyway. I mean, I ( for one) I am glad it wasn't one of us professionals, in a morbid sense I feel better that is was , well, who it was.
I think whoever was in charge over there not only screwed himself with his ignorance but also had to bother the fire dept with his, uhm, lack of experiance. I am sure the fire department doesn't agree that there are many to put out a fire. I am pretty sure they go with protocol.
But , yes, good the guy was ok.

With this statement you agree there is more than one way though.

I'm glad you figured out the QUOTE problem, Cutter. Too many don't bother to try. :cheers:

You should be able to go back and delete the other posts, now that you've got the problem solved.

Yeah, I guess I could have been a little more sensitive in my first response. Never was one to sugar coat things much though. Fact is, this guy is working while disregarding just about every safety standard in the book. He was begging for trouble and got it. It makes the industry look bad.

Glad he was not more seriously injured. Hopefully he will learn from his mistake and seek some training before he jumps out there and starts back to doing hack work. Sorry but that's how I refer to his style of work. I believe in calling a spade a spade.

Hopefully he will learn from his mistake and seek some training before he jumps out there and starts back to doing hack work..

.. hopefully this fool decides to give it up after that embarrassing and painful experience..

MY PREDICTION:

He'll be back at it as soon as he heals.

Why?

1. He's got a family to feed. It's what he knows.
  2. He has no clue that what he is doing is "hack work".
  3. He knows it's dangerous work, so he'll just chalk this up to being "part of the deal". He won't learn anything from this.

Back