Inlet meter lever setting - Husky 365 X-torq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porcupine Rider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Page 30 of the service manual (version 2013-05-03) says to:
"Check with a ruler or similar (sic) that the lever arm is level with the cover face. See fig 15."
Figure 15 show the setting as being level with the top of the carb body.
However, my saw came new from the dealer with the carb (Walbro RWJ-4A) lever set level with the carb base (aka. chamber floor) which corresponds with the WJ center leg of Walbro's 500-13-1 metering gauge.
Is the service manual wrong or does Husky get the carb from Walbro and then reset it, but forgot to reset it on my saw?
I haven't tried to see if the saw will even run if the lever is reset level with the top of the carb body.
However, I do know that at its current setting level with the carb base, the saw starts to get dangerously hot if you bog it down for even a few seconds.
The mix is correct, the oiler is working fine, the chain is sharp and tensioned correctly, the carb needles are set to spec, the tank vent is good and the machine has no air leaks -- I've done pressure & vac tests.

Contact Walbro about the setting for your carb. Many of the newer carbs have different settings than the current gauge tool will work with. Walbro support said they are designing a new setting tool but haven't said when it is going top be available. I found this out when I need to set the lever on a WTE carburetor. The tech sent the drawings for the WTE for me to reference.

And yes Husqvarna has dropped the ball on keeping us updated.

This sounds like confusion between the HD and the WJ. Here's a few pics of the difference. The longer tab on the wj diaphragm needs that recessed area where the flat tab on the hd carb diaphragms makes contact level with the outer carb body. These are the only two settings between these two carbs.
2016-04-07 18.22.17.jpg 2016-04-07 18.21.50.jpg 2016-04-07 18.19.03.jpg 2016-04-07 18.21.18.jpg

Okay here is the setting per Walbro.

The metering lever height is 0.0mm-.18mm (0.007") from the metering gasket surface to the metering lever arm.

The repair kit is K10-RWJ.

EDIT: Correction After I got a chance to look over the diagrams the Walbro Support is wrong about the adjustment as it is the floor and not metering gasket surface. See the following extract from artwork provided by the Walbro Support.
rwj%20meter%20lever_zps7unddmwz.png

Also the initial mixture settings is L = 1-7/8 turns and H = 1-1/2 turns.

Okay here is the setting per Walbro.

The metering lever height is 0.0mm-.18mm (0.007") from the metering gasket surface to the metering lever arm.

The repair kit is K10-RWJ.

EDIT: Correction After I got a chance to look over the diagrams the Walbro Support is wrong about the adjustment as it is the floor and not metering gasket surface. See the following extract from artwork provided by the Walbro Support.
rwj%20meter%20lever_zps7unddmwz.png
No measuring tools or devises are needed for adjusting these metering levers. On all wj carbs the lever sits flush with the floor as seen in the pic I uploaded. It doesn't change. All HD carbs have the same height level with the carb body as also shown.
Trying to follow the walbro support diagram is not only confusing, it is misleading.

Trying to follow the walbro support diagram is not only confusing, it is misleading.
I don't see a problem reading the blueprints if you understand them and I don't see anything misleading in the one I posted.

I do them for my custom tools that are sent out the machine shop to be made.

I don't see a problem reading the blueprints if you understand them and I don't see anything misleading in the one I posted.

I do them for my custom tools that are sent out the machine shop to be made.
Having a measurement listed in the blueprint will mislead people into trying to actually measure it with feeler gauges or something else which would be no fun to try.
I wasn't implying you were wrong in any way. I was just trying to make it as simple as it needs to be for those who don't know how to read blueprints, or rebuild carbs and adjust settings.

Walbro does have a new measuring tool in the works or at least that they are telling me. It just not available yet. And I agree that using the tool is much simpler. The WTE for example doesn't match any of the W-tool settings.

Prove it.
It is the same difference in settings as the hd and wj. The wte also has a long button on the metering diaphragm as the wj.
Okay the WJ setting is .065" (1.651mm) and WTE specs at .030" (.66mm) both at +- .005" (.13mm) when measured from the metering gasket mating surface. I can see where if you use the WT metering diaphragm instead the WTE diaphragm then adjustment would be different.

I just went through this with a fellow Canadian in January to resolve his problem with a Stihl MS260.

Okay the WJ setting is .065" (1.651mm) and WTE specs at .030" (.66mm) both at +- .005" (.13mm) when measured from the metering gasket mating surface. I can see where if you use the WT metering diaphragm instead the WTE diaphragm then adjustment would be different.

I just went through this with a fellow Canadian in January to resolve his problem with a Stihl MS260.

You're off in space pal. Nobody is measuring the fricken thing like that. Lol it sits flush with the edge next to the lever whether it is the wj, wt, wa, or wte with the longer button on the diaphragm.

I also want to mention that there's enough play between the lever and needle for the setting to be slightly off either way and still have normal function. You'll notice this when you push down on the lever and see how far it travels before it lifts the needle. Leaving the lever high will not give the saw more power, it will just cause a high idle that you cannot correct with tuning.

Latest posts

Back