Inside bar width for different guages?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have searched and can't find an answer. I'm doing maintance on my saws and one of the bars has been pinched a couple of times. What would the proper inside bar rail width be for .063 and .050 guage chain? I suspect the bar has opened and closed so I want to check the whole bar. Thanks for your help.:)

Ha, Ha, Seriously, wouldn't they need to be a hair bigger to prevent undue binding, friction or wear.

Thanks jeff, that's what I was looking for - I just couldn't find it anywhere and didn't have a new bar around. Anyone have a new .050 that they can measure.

I checked a couple of different chains, the drive links seemed to pretty much follow spec. The clearance , so far, seems to be in the bar. I found two different bars , new, running about .007~,008 over. I could actually get an .050 chain to fit in an .043 bar. Snug for sure. Didn't run it, just tried it. Worn bars head on towards up to .020 over . Pretty loose by then. Hope that helps a bit. For what it's worth, I have tightened 2 bars down to .003 clearance and have ran them with no problems at all.

Latest posts

Back