Inside the 372XP X-TORQ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These threads are all the same. Pick a saw, any saw that Brad has built and there is probably a corresponding thread.

Too much drama here ladies.

It has been against the law to modify engines into non-compliance for decades...nothing new with that. The EPA doesn't mind to put thousands in the mining industry out of work, so if you think they won't crush someone modding saws for profit you are sadly mistaken.

Can I make adjustments to the new engines at home?
Consumers should perform routine use and care maintenance
as recommended in the operator’s manual. However,
owners should contact a qualified engine technician
for adjustments not listed in the operator’s manual.
Owners should also be aware that it is against the law to
tamper with an EPA-certified small engine.
Tampering
with a certified engine may involve adjusting the fuel or
exhaust system, or changing the engine’s performance so
that it no longer meets the manufacturer’s specifications.
Tampering may increase an engine’s exhaust emissions,
contributing to our air pollution problems. To stop customers
and repair facilities from tampering, manufacturers
have equipped many engines with special caps or plugs
that limit or prevent adjusting the fuel mixture or engine
timing

Thats from EPA.ORG, or as we say in ole Virginy, striaght from the horse's mouth.

Brad you can do all the modding you want, more power to ya but lets not pretend what is what. According to the EPA not even the owner is allowed to tamper with a EPA certified engine. Very safe to say they aren't going to make it legal for you to do for money either, hobby or no hobby.

You would be wise to stop posting all these jobs of yours for the world to see to aviod a knock on the door and all this BS about modding on this site wouldn't be here in the first place to squabble over. Thats just me mind you, I dont care if you mod a zillion saws and post them here but remember its a open forumn for everybody and just because you pay dues it doesn't protect you from those that disagree with you. Carry on and enjoy, I do....

Brad
I had a few not so polite conversations with EPA. The best I can figure is that you may or may not be breaking the law. It all depends on your wording. I told EPA one time that I will stop building saws when they stop all races of any kind in the US.
Any person in the US can buy any new car that they want to, Take that car from the dealer and make any mods to that car engine that they want to or have it done by someone else. That car can run on any track and it is now for competition use only but not street legal. The same with saws. Just make sure you tell your customers that the saw is now for competition use only. If the new owner takes the saw to the woods, that's not your problem.

With that being said, lets get Brads thread back on topic. Some people may want to hear more about the new 372XP X-TORQ saws.

Later
Dan

372 XT whatever

I agree iwth you on both accounts, Dan. I note that you are a Dolmar dealer as well. I'll pm you.
Willysmn

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT. Any saw that I've ever worked on is for competition use only!!! LOL:hmm3grin2orange: Thanks :clap:

Funny, your saw won a race today, Against a Mustang GT, the saw was in the back of my truck, we where stopped at a light together, he noticed the Performancetrucks.net stickers on my windows and thought he'd give it a try:hmm3grin2orange: Just didn't work out for him :)

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT. Any saw that I've ever worked on is for competition use only!!! LOL:hmm3grin2orange: Thanks Dan:clap:

lmao! :hmm3grin2orange:

I agree with Dan. Was thinking the same thing.

As far as everyone else in this thread: :notrolls2:

Man, how did a good thread go this bad. It started out great and informative but ended up: :sucks:

We use to have all customers sign a form stating the saws that were modified were for competition use only and also not fire safe. We never had any problems, but that was a while ago and things have changed. I don't think I would use the term "woods ported" anymore.

So let me get this straight....the only thing Brad builds is race saws.....

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he should just use the term "Tuned the way it should be". so what if some metal was removed to make it run like it should!

Andre, you are a monkey:biggrinbounce2:

Did you forget to wax your back again Andy? You've gotta lay of the horse steroids mate.

I'd love to see some data from pre porting and post porting in regard to power and torque. I'm sure even Brad would, but the truth of the matter is it's all in the hands when you're actually using the saw.
When I went from my stock 7900 to my modded 7900 on a job where tree numbers were logged etc my productivity went up around 15-20% from memory, even more with a 32" bar.

I haven't read a fair part of this thread. I go to bed (opposite side of the world remember), then have 5 pages to catch up on the next day. I haven't got the time so apart from reading Andy's response to which waxing clinic he will go use I'm having little further input here. Hopefully the waxing clinic and Andy's back isn't EPA certified although if Andy's back hair can be used in racing (maybe seat cushioning?) all should be good...

I say competition or saws... there are all sorts of these competitions from informal gtgs to county fairs to sanctioned races.

Classes in general follow stock, work class, stock appearing, and unlimited, but every area has their own twists on rule specifics.

Stock - no modifications permitted

Work class - Fully functional such it could in theory be used for work and must run on pump gas.

Stock appearing - what ever parts fit under the covers, no expansion chambers, no fuel restrictions

Unlimited - no explaination needed

Did you forget to wax your back again Andy? You've gotta lay of the horse steroids mate.

I'd love to see some data from pre porting and post porting in regard to power and torque. I'm sure even Brad would, but the truth of the matter is it's all in the hands when you're actually using the saw.
When I went from my stock 7900 to my modded 7900 on a job where tree numbers were logged etc my productivity went up around 15-20% from memory, even more with a 32" bar.

I haven't read a fair part of this thread. I go to bed (opposite side of the world remember), then have 5 pages to catch up on the next day. I haven't got the time so apart from reading Andy's response to which waxing clinic he will go use I'm having little further input here. Hopefully the waxing clinic and Andy's back isn't EPA certified although if Andy's back hair can be used in racing (maybe seat cushioning?) all should be good...

I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me. I find Nair works better than waxing, it also doesn't hurt as much.:hmm3grin2orange:

I say competition or saws... there are all sorts of these competitions from informal gtgs to county fairs to sanctioned races.

Classes in general follow stock, work class, stock appearing, and unlimited, but every area has their own twists on rule specifics.

Stock - no modifications permitted

Work class - Fully functional such it could in theory be used for work and must run on pump gas.

Stock appearing - what ever parts fit under the covers, no expansion chambers, no fuel restrictions

Unlimited - no explaination needed

.......and I'll bet an alchohol motor gives off less pollution than a stock gas saw:laugh:

Back