Inside the 372XP X-TORQ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from the EPA questions and answers from the New Small Engine Emission Rules Section. I do not have the time to chase down a statute number and fines listed, but I am sure they have one to prosecute on and it could be found. They surely can fine you even from a consumer standpoint. They don't care if you are a dealer or not if you do it willfully.

Here is the question and answer..

Can I make adjustments to the new engines at home?

Consumers should perform routine use and care maintenance
as recommended in the operator’s manual. However,
owners should contact a qualified engine technician
for adjustments not listed in the operator’s manual.
Owners should also be aware that it is against the law to
tamper with an EPA-certified small engine. Tampering
with a certified engine may involve adjusting the fuel or
exhaust system, or changing the engine’s performance so
that it no longer meets the manufacturer’s specifications.
Tampering may increase an engine’s exhaust emissions,
contributing to our air pollution problems. To stop customers
and repair facilities from tampering, manufacturers
have equipped many engines with special caps or plugs
that limit or prevent adjusting the fuel mixture or engine
timing. Removal of these special caps or plugs and
adjustments beyond the manufacturers specified limits are
considered tampering and may subject the violator to a
fine.

Take it for what you will but the laws are out there.

:jawdrop: Looks like I better watch who I do work for in my shop from now on and if I don't know you first hand you don't get the special ;).

Also one thing I do a little different, I do pay taxes on what I do and sale in my shop. :bowdown:

Hurry guys put the fire out :hmm3grin2orange:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P-h3diu76rQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P-h3diu76rQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm not playing stupid. You show me one place where the law forbids a customer from modding their saws. That would be news to me.

tamper with an EPA-certified small engine.
Tampering
timing

Thats from EPA.ORG, or as we say in ole Virginy, striaght from the horse's mouth.

Brad you can do all the modding you want, more power to ya but lets not pretend what is what. According to the EPA not even the owner is allowed to tamper with a EPA certified engine. Very safe to say they aren't going to make it legal for you to do for money either, hobby or no hobby.

You would be wise to stop posting all these jobs of yours for the world to see to aviod a knock on the door and all this BS about modding on this site wouldn't be here in the first place to squabble over. Thats just me mind you, I dont care if you mod a zillion saws and post them here but remember its a open forumn for everybody and just because you pay dues it doesn't protect you from those that disagree with you. Carry on and enjoy, I do....

Last edited:
This is from the EPA questions and answers from the New Small Engine Emission Rules Section. I do not have the time to chase down a statute number and fines listed, but I am sure they have one to prosecute on and it could be found. They surely can fine you even from a consumer standpoint. They don't care if you are a dealer or not if you do it willfully.

Here is the question and answer..

tamper with an EPA-certified small engine. Tampering
timing. Removal of these special caps or plugs and
adjustments beyond the manufacturers specified limits are
considered tampering and may subject the violator to a
fine.

Take it for what you will but the laws are out there.

Alright dayummm it to hell, your fast. Have you been modified,LOLOL Seriously I started my post to Brad and then got real busy, never seen yours.................

Alright dayummm it to hell, your fast. Have you been modified,LOLOL Seriously I started my post to Brad and then got real busy, never seen yours.................

HAHAHA. It's all good Tommy Boy, I just wanted to make sure his question got answered. I don't have a dog in this fight. The laws against it are there though. Now enforcement of those laws? I don't know. But the possibility is there.

So if your a dealer or customer and you install a non cat muffler on a 346 your breaking this very same law right?

HAHAHA. It's all good Tommy Boy, I just wanted to make sure his question got answered. I don't have a dog in this fight. The laws against it are there though. Now enforcement of those laws? I don't know. But the possibility is there.

I appreciate the info. It's kind of like...where does that leave half of the threads and posters here on AS? Are we all increminating ourselves?

So what are you guys doing for dinner tonight???

Think I'm gonna do a ribeye with sweet potatoes. S'gonna cold cookin' over that bonfire tonight tough!

But then again, for a ribeye, anything is worth it. :) :cheers:

Glad you mentioned it. Matter of fact, I'll be having a fine dinner with my beautiful bride of 22 years tonight at Ruth's Chris Stake House, and then getting a motel with my hot date:clap:

thats from nazi.org, or as we say in ole virginy, striaght from the horse's mouth.

Brad you can do all the modding you want, more power to ya but lets not pretend what is what. According to the nazi's not even the owner is allowed to tamper with a nazi certified engine. Very safe to say they aren't going to make it legal for you to do for money either, hobby or no hobby.

You would be wise to stop posting all these jobs of yours for the world to see to aviod a knock on the door (from the ss) and all this bs about modding on this site wouldn't be here in the first place to squabble over. Thats just me mind you, i dont care if you mod a zillion saws and post them here but remember its a open forumn for everybody and just because you pay dues it doesn't protect you from those that disagree with you. Carry on and enjoy, i do....

fixt!

I appreciate the info. It's kind of like...where does that leave half of the threads and posters here on AS? Are we all increminating ourselves?

I am no attorney, but as there are laws against it I would think it would make a case against someone easier to prove.

As I am sure you know in 2010 the EPA regs of small engines really took hold as did the potential fines for tampering with them.

As far as the laws being enforced, a lot of times that depends on what administration happens to be in power at the time. It really does make a difference on who goes after what. Not to get political or anything but I know with the admin that has power now this kind of environmental stuff has a priority.

I would think with all the changes in regulations and administrations over the last couple years the risk of being prosecuted for this type of offence would be greater now than in the past.

Just something to think about..

Some automotive websites prohibit any discussions pertaining to disabeling or modifing emission systems and emisison related components.

Back