Inside the Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice thread mate,i wish someone would do the same on a MTronic please.:clap:

There needs to be an mtronic (funny how my phone tries to correct that to moronic :D ) worthy of doing all this!!

LOL you know I just be kiddin round.

If the cylinder base is already being worked then a relief is easy to cut. Cutting the case without stripping it would be asking for trouble. Sounds like ditching the gasket creates more headaches than it's worth.

des

If the cylinder base is already being worked then a relief is easy to cut. Cutting the case without stripping it would be asking for trouble. Sounds like ditching the gasket creates more headaches than it's worth.

Yes if you are already cutting it. Ditching the gasket on this saw with a .015 pop gives you .023 squish. For someone that isn't set up to cut bases, its worth it.

I have talked to MANY people about this saw in the past couple days. Naturally, every one asks if it is a large leap forward from the 346's power band. So far, it seems to be a little stronger yes but the huge differences are vibration, size and handling to me at least. Until it breaks in commenting on the stratos power output is only speculation. This saw does not, at least so far, represent the huge leap in performance that the 562 made over its predecessor. If it doesn't ran tomorrow, vid will be up.

Yes they are horrible :D lol. Yours looks good as well. Just tough to be fair after running a ec xpw huh

Ya it's tough not to simply judge cookie speed. But I'll say I think my EC XPW just became a bit of a toy and less of a work saw. This little guy excels in the most important way for me - still cuts fast but my scrawny arms don't feel like they're gonna fall off even after 4-5 hours of work in 80-90 degree heat (I'm more of a rather have it below 50 kinda guy).

But there's nothing saying this one won't make it's way out to mr copsey.... :D

How many tanks has that one had? I haven't looked into it much yet but starting partway through the second tank she doesn't like a warm restart and I dunno if it's me. That vid wasn't staged, it was a legitimate wtf. And I mean it has to be sitting 5-10 minutes to do it. After a minute or so it's fine but a longer wait and it was kinda buggy. It was also stupid hot out that day.... It came out of it though without me doing anything different. Going to have a couple weekends of different types of cutting in the next few weeks so she'll get a full run through.

I'm glad I didn't keep the 562 afterall. While definitely a powerhouse in comparison to the 550, the 550 is a better choice in a 2 saw plan. If I were to have one saw, 562 all the way.

Maybe I should spend less time making crappy vids and more time building a better log stand and camera holder so I can then make better videos? I need more logs at the shop anyway, I only have a couple of log ends left and 250 gallons of chips and 3 barrels of cookies LOL. Dad ain't gonna let a truckload of maple leave the yard though, he ain't to fond of his heat going to my "play time." That older generation just don't understand....

There ain't no way under the sun that's going to happen!

I should put that in my sig just for a reminder then? :yoyo:

I'll say this, in the last tank, the computer tells me 40% of the run time was in excess of 12K. That includes idle time also. Three ash trees 40-60 ft in length with a temp of 102 running a 16" full ch buried for the most part.

You will find reason to like it....just saying

Last edited:
I still say, for the typical firewood cutter, a good 50cc and 70cc saw leave no room for 60cc saw.

I'd still like a 562 in the stable. Great for when you head to help a friend and just don't know what you're getting into ;) I've been a couple of places and was glad I had a bigger than 50cc saw but wasn't sure i needed a big heavy one as I was in a bunch of different conditions that would have been far easier with a 60cc saw. And for heading up to camp it's a great size. One saw in the truck takes up less space. Capable of kicking that big maples ass if it fell across the yard, but still great for gittin some woo for the firepit.

I can see lots of great uses for one. Just not being used at the same time as a 50 or 70cc saw. And if you own a 50 and 70, there's still room in the lineup for a 60 :)

I don't mean to disagree with ya even though it sounds like it, just a different point of view in different circumstances is all.

Back