Inside the MS201T....With A Few Tweaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy,did anyone ever tell you,you look like Mark Knofler?Don't EVEN ask me who Mark Knofler is.He too is an artist ,only his instrument is a guitar.:D

Mark who?????? :msp_sneaky:

[video=youtube;vyqgjCKm9nQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqgjCKm9nQ[/video]

Randy,did anyone ever tell you,you look like Mark Knofler?Don't EVEN ask me who Mark Knofler is.He too is an artist ,only his instrument is a guitar.:D

Randy really IS Mark Knopfler ! It's the witness protection program ! Well Mark , we're onto ya , but nice job covering the British accent though . :hmm3grin2orange: :rockn: :rockn:

Last edited:
With 800 hr to break in, it's going to take me a little over 5 years with this saw.

It's running well enough now that those 5 years will be a breeze. :)

I finally got back to grinding on saws........my Foredom died and a new motor just arrived yesterday. I can't say anything bad about the Foredom though.......it lived thru two users before it gave up.

I've almost got the 460 finished and the machine work is done on the 261....

You need to take some time off gettin into some more hogs and fishing done Randy.
Them 3 saws are going to be with me the rest of my life.
Can't wait to introduce them into some trees.
A friend of mine from Asplundh is also very anxious to test drive them after I told him where they are and what's being done to them.

Randy,
Are you going to be around Tues or Wed? I have some business to take care of up at our barn shop in Muddy Pond and thought it might be a good time to bring a few things.

I should be Steven....

Call to make sure. Hate to see you waste a trip.

Oh.....bring the 2095. I have a switch for it.

201t tuning

T he 201t ignition module is equipped with the variable timing control as well as a spark interuptor, when the saw spins up beyond 14 K the timing will retard to try and bring it back down within perameter AND the spark interrupter will also kick in (this is why your tach goes goofy) when that happens you need to let the saw come back down to idle for 20sec (this allows the ignition timing to reset ). The adjustment procedure on the 201t is very specific (it is not like tuning the older style saws ) contact your dealer to get instruction on a "lean idle drop off setting" procedure. Also break-in period of this saw is 25 plus tanks of fuel
It's a pain in the ass. I set it too fat then slowly leaned it out until it felt "right". Of course that made me nervous so I fatten it up and started over ten times. :laugh:

13,200 was where this one made my tach go stupid. I would rather see an unlimited coil on this saw out of all the saws I've done.

T he 201t ignition module is equipped with the variable timing control as well as a spark interuptor, when the saw spins up beyond 14 K the timing will retard to try and bring it back down within perameter AND the spark interrupter will also kick in (this is why your tach goes goofy) when that happens you need to let the saw come back down to idle for 20sec (this allows the ignition timing to reset ). The adjustment procedure on the 201t is very specific (it is not like tuning the older style saws ) contact your dealer to get instruction on a "lean idle drop off setting" procedure. Also break-in period of this saw is 25 plus tanks of fuel

Thank you for the info. I do know that this saw is a ##### to tune. :laugh:

Randy, with the stock squish band and without the base gasket what did you have for squish? I have two muff modded 201s and one has the timing advanced and the other is brand new and just got the mufflers treatment and nothing else yet. I was hoping to ditch the base gasket and polish up the piston to loose a few thousands to be able to go gasketless. But didnt check squish numbers or gasket thickness to see if that was possible?

Randy, with the stock squish band and without the base gasket what did you have for squish? I have two muff modded 201s and one has the timing advanced and the other is brand new and just got the mufflers treatment and nothing else yet. I was hoping to ditch the base gasket and polish up the piston to loose a few thousands to be able to go gasketless. But didnt check squish numbers or gasket thickness to see if that was possible?

According to my notes it ends up at .018....

I can't remember if I trimmed the base though. :(

201t ignition module

Anyone know on an alternate ignition module that will fit in the 201T, An oem replacement seems kind of pricey.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back