Inspection tools to dissasemble a MS440, and what to look for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingDavey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, just curious what tools would be needed to remove the muffler, top cover, spark plug and chain/clutch cover. I found a used saw not too far from me and want to make sure I go prepared. I just want to check the basics. I figure spark plug, piston on the muffler side and inside the spark plug hole, b&c, sprocket, clutch, and a compression test. Is there anything else I should look at that the saws are know for. A particular case screw than can be stripped out easy? Or a place they are prone to cracking? I'm a mechanic so I don't mind digging into it as much as they'll let me. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

T 27 torx and a scrench will get you into most of the saw.

T27-check
Will the scrench from my dolmar get me in there? I am under the impression that the saw is by itself, possibly at a pawn shop or similar place. I will probably just bring some sockets and screwdrivers. Thanks!

About the only thing that isn't a torx is the nuts holding the air filter plate on and the spikes. Any scrench should get the bar nuts off. The main things I would look for would be cylinder scoring, compression, and if the oiler works. Sprocket and things like that are wear items and can be expected to need replaced on used saws for sale.

I personally would not allow most people to remove all that stuff from a saw I had for sale. All you have to do is look through the sparkplug holse with a flashlight. A compression test would be good as well.

I personally would not allow most people to remove all that stuff from a saw I had for sale. All you have to do is look through the sparkplug holse with a flashlight. A compression test would be good as well.

I agree. Just pop the muffler or spark plug out and look with a light. You should be able to see whats up by just doing that.

If you're just taking a saw apart, the T-27 and scrench will do about all of it. Except for what Mcdavlee named, plus the carb nuts. I think they are 7mm or 5/16, something like that.

Last edited:
Back