Installing a flywheel side crank seal on 440, having issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Wellman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After painting the case I am putting back together a ms440. Clutch side bearing seal installed nice with a 2 ton arbor press. The flywheel side bearing went in fine but I have destroyed two seals trying to get the corresponding seal in. It seams like the seal is too large for the hole it is to be pressed into. I use a socket and then press slowly and it makes the lower rim of the seal conical as it tries to fit into the hole. Im I not getting something correct, does the seal press fit into the the case, or is the after market seal, just miss fitting crap? From what I know there is only one part number for this seal. Any help would be great.

I recently used Stihl OEM on my MS440 build. I didn't want to chance bad stuff with a pro saw I had to split the case on and install new bearings etc... In the past, I've had really good luck with seals from Northwoodsaw.com, though mostly on Stihl's clam shell designed saws.

Flywheel side should tap right in. It's the clutch side I recall that was the pain for me. Little trick with bolting in the oil pump to get correct fit.

Last edited:
Back