Installing an IWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roland_LG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing an older home with 2 stories and a walk-out basement. Would be perfect for an IWB in the basement, but ... there's no existing fireplace or chimney at all.

Not a carpenter here, so thought I'd ask. Any ideas about the feasibility/ball-park price for having this done?

CHEEEP, Considering the cost of fossil fuel.

Your biggest problem would be finding a suitable location whereby you could get a foundation that would support your two story effort if you were going interior. If you could get going exterior, you could easily find ground to excavate down past the frost heave for the same foundation but would the box be in the best location?

You spend whatever it takes now and you might avoid the expense of fossil for so many years at what price? Here's a hint, Fossil is never going to be cheap again, wood is a renewable resource, and as such will not escalate in price in our lifetime like the other fuel.

My nephew has three stoves in a split level ranch, and uses them all, and it certainly doesn't appear to be a huge chore for him.

Thanks for your response Geevee. Yeah, I'm totally sold on wood heat, and was considering either an OWB or an IWB. OWB's are running upwards of 5k with another 1k for installation.

I was wondering if having a full chimney installed in my home and then installing the IWB would be significantly cheaper or not.

IWB install :^(-

After owning an indoor wood coal boiler after 25 years I would strongly advise against it simply because of the mess and dust.

I would buy a small sequoyah-lil albert model because it is fully lined with firebrick and has a non pressurised system which would allow for a water to water heat exchanger in the home with litttle trouble.

It it very easy to install an OWB on a small slab next to the home in a small shed with a standard chimney coming out of the boiler itself-stainless steel poking out of the roof of the lean to etc-no special foundation needed for that!!!!!

Framing in a chase for the stainless chimney pipe isn't a big deal, then finish it to fit it's location, or run it up through closets that are located over one another.

Then the cost of the woodburner itself, and whatever equipment you need to get wood home, in the size you need. Or buy the wood, still usually cheaper than other fuels.

If you stop into some dealers, they'll come out and assess your home, and be able to give you a quote, broken down, for the whole process.

Some insurance companies require professional installation.

I contemplated the many types of indoor systems. I also didnt have a chimney and thought about adding one to the outside wall of the house. Eithor full mansonary or metalbestos. I figured feeding the fire in the basement would be a whole lot nicer.
Glad I didnt. With my OWB, everything is outside. Sure its cold in the morning, but I got to get up and get to work anyways. The best thing is when I open the door, if the smoke pours out its no big deal. With the price of propane, itll pay for itself next year.

Latest posts

Back