Interesting find (Solo Multimot)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I was on the 'bay the other evening and came across a "NOS Solo Multimot" that had just been listed with buy it now, so I did! I had only seen one other advertised over the years so I knew it was quite rare and this one was still new so I couldn't turn it down... To my knowledge, it was made in the early 90's and was part of Solos 'kombi' range called Multimot. Attachments for the engine unit include, chainsaw, brush cutter, water pump, sprayer, cultivator, power broom, etc.

Google doesn't seem to know much about this model so if anyone out there has more info - please let me know.

Now for some pics to show that it really happened haha.

attachment.php

Have a look at that huge bar! lol. The chain drive also has a gear reduction just like its bigger cousin the 090G... should make for a great milling saw :D

attachment.php

It also has an additional accelerator nob next to the choke to set the speed for those really big jobs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Strange looking fellar.

Neat though and it has a canoe like bar on it:tongue2:

That's a pretty cool score Rudy. They also had a similar system in the mid 1960's that was a little more stoutly built.

Yeah, it's a nice addition to my collection and will probably remain in it's original condition. Now I have to keep an eye out for some more attachments haha

Yeah, it's a nice addition to my collection and will probably remain in it's original condition. Now I have to keep an eye out for some more attachments haha

put it in some ozzy hard wood. it can take it.:tongue2:

What! No post hole borer attachment avail? Outboard prop? Winch? You got ripped off Rudy! :D

Those are some good ideas Al, they may have been more successful with those handy attachments :msp_wink:

It goes to show how valuable engines used to be though...

That little fella there is funny to look at, any chance you would have any technical data on it?

Motor size, ignition parts, and so on?

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm still looking for info actually. There isn't a whole lot out there. From what I know the engine is 26cc, 1.5hp, about 4 lbs.

Other attachments include hedge trimmer, pressure washer, leaf blower, string trimmer, shredder/chipper, mower, air compressor and snow thrower.

It was advertised in Popular Mechanics magazine in August 1987, so has to be at least that old. I seem to recall seeing it somewhere a couple of years earlier??? :msp_unsure:

Bugger.....I knew i should have driven home faster from work that day, i was planning on buying it myself. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/censored.gif

Nice find Rudolf, although I'm still not convinced it's not a kids toy chainsaw, was it from ebay or Toys "R" Us :hmm3grin2orange:

I like that idea a lot

I've seen the other various multi tools, but haven't seen one with the chainsaw as the primary tool. I like that idea *a lot*. Would like a more modern one, maybe around 50 ccs or so, that had various attachments with it, like a mini tiller, pole saw, fence post auger, etc.

It's like generic farm tractors, one powerhead, many uses via attachments. Just hand held....

And hopefully the Oregon guys will follow through on that battery saw and come up with more tools that use that battery system, with perhaps an attachment or two for the existing saw as well.

I've seen the other various multi tools, but haven't seen one with the chainsaw as the primary tool. I like that idea *a lot*. Would like a more modern one, maybe around 50 ccs or so, that had various attachments with it, like a mini tiller, pole saw, fence post auger, etc.

It's like generic farm tractors, one powerhead, many uses via attachments. Just hand held....

And hopefully the Oregon guys will follow through on that battery saw and come up with more tools that use that battery system, with perhaps an attachment or two for the existing saw as well.

I second that. I'd love to see a modern 2 stroke saw that could take multiple attachments, especially a fence post auger, drill attachment, plus the common ones. If there was one available i would buy one for sure.

Reminds me of older electric power tools. My grandfathers tools are up in the shed in a big box so the brand escapes me, but i was given from him before he passed away a tool set that runs from an electric drill and powers a small circular saw as well as a bandsaw and a jigsaw and some others too. It dates back to the early 1950's. And man is that drill heavy! It all still works too. I believe Skil had a similar system in the 1980's and had a jigsaw, circular saw and sander attachment amongst others being powered by an electric drill.

I've used the Makita 18v chainsaw that uses the 18v lithium-ion batteries, and it was surprisingly good. However the battery really runs down quick when cutting using the full bar length. I mean like you can watch it start to slow down. Was thinking of getting one because all my cordless tools are now using these batteries, but someone reminded me how many saws i have already. :msp_rolleyes: Better not mention the 2 i bought this week that are in the post!! http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_ohmy.gif

more coolness

I second that. I'd love to see a modern 2 stroke saw that could take multiple attachments, especially a fence post auger, drill attachment, plus the common ones. If there was one available i would buy one for sure.

Reminds me of older electric power tools. My grandfathers tools are up in the shed in a big box so the brand escapes me, but i was given from him before he passed away a tool set that runs from an electric drill and powers a small circular saw as well as a bandsaw and a jigsaw and some others too. It dates back to the early 1950's. And man is that drill heavy! It all still works too. I believe Skil had a similar system in the 1980's and had a jigsaw, circular saw and sander attachment amongst others being powered by an electric drill.

I've used the Makita 18v chainsaw that uses the 18v lithium-ion batteries, and it was surprisingly good. However the battery really runs down quick when cutting using the full bar length. I mean like you can watch it start to slow down. Was thinking of getting one because all my cordless tools are now using these batteries, but someone reminded me how many saws i have already. :msp_rolleyes: Better not mention the 2 i bought this week that are in the post!! http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_ohmy.gif

That's neat you got your grandfathers old tools! and you know he would want you to still use them, and build stuff!

Thought of two more practical uses for a 50 cc powerhead, bicycle assist motor attachment, (or offroad fat tire low geared minibike) and a mini generator.

It's not a chainsaw, but going along with the tractor analogy, have you ever seen the Rokon on or offroad bike? Two wheel drive, plus farming attachments, it is *really* slick. rokon.com It's like a small compact tractor sliced in half. I was watching a dealer run one on his demo track before, shazzam! Right through two feet deep mud, up to a steep boulder, crawl slow up it, crawl down the other side. Street legal with lights and stuff, tops out at only 35 though, but whut the heck, for what it is, it is spiffy. Kinda spendy, but no more so than a small home garden tractor or any number of ATVs or snow machines in the mid range. You can even drag logs out with it.

Back