Introducing the new Log Splitter Line from DHT (Dirty Hand Tools)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess "good enough" or "it works" is what most people shoot for these days:bang:

more times than not if a weld is "ugly" theres something wrong with it.
for instance:
i could weld a tank to be water tight, welded too cold with next to no penetration, yes it doesnt leak, but its definetly not strong.
or the complete opposite, i could weld it way to hot with 100% penetration, and under cut to the point that the base metal is severly weakened, again yes it doesnt leak, but its definetly not strong!

im done #####ing about welds, its really my biggest pet peeve
ill just do this:taped: from now on:dizzy:

Hey guys, I am fine with folks questioning our product and kicking the tires. I encourage it. As I said earlier there isn't a better performance and quality product per dollar spent out there. If you don't like the welds, then you are always welcome to build one yourself. It might very well be better than ours. I happen to think we have a great product, our retailers are finding that it is doing well with customers, and it is generating profit for them. Our goal is to get more placement as the retail season approaches. The good people on this forum who help spread the word and provide constructive feedback will help us make that happen. For that, we thank you deeply. Let's keep it friendly....please.

Regards,
DHT

Talked to the manager at the local TSC today. Told her about dirty hand tools and your splitter, etc. She had not heard of them yet but I encouraged her to get some in. Not that I can afford one, but just sayin...USA made.

You want an option, that design like whitespider has, where you can adjust the bar around huge rounds right on the ground...thats just toooo slick. logboss.

i understand that a human cant weld long CONTINUIOUS welds, but they sure as hell can lay down better welds than what was shown in the first set of pics i asked about...
i understand that the robots are better for certain applications but not for EVERYTHING, theres a reason why there is such a huge shortage of SKILLED welders across the country, and robotics play a pretty big part in the reason why.
not everything is a production part, you may have a 1 off weldment that has a long weld, you can weld it by hand or with a track, either way you still have to know what the hell your doing.
and youre right that a robot doesnt get paid overtime, medical, take smoke breaks, or take a vacation
but i bet you the consumer does, and without jobs (like the one the robot replaced) you dont have a consumer.

Agreed. Period. I've been welding better part of 45 years. And yes many of those was as a certified welder. So I do agree with everything you've said here. But my only point was welding by hand just can't match the robotics on long welds. Up to 6 or 8 inch welds, by hand we can hold our own. Longer than that I can't hang with the robot. One thing I've not seen a robot weld is tig welding a roll cage. I suppose they can but I ain't seen one do it.

The job the robot is another thread for another time. But you're right there too.

Hey guys, I am fine with folks questioning our product and kicking the tires. I encourage it. As I said earlier there isn't a better performance and quality product per dollar spent out there. If you don't like the welds, then you are always welcome to build one yourself. It might very well be better than ours. I happen to think we have a great product, our retailers are finding that it is doing well with customers, and it is generating profit for them. Our goal is to get more placement as the retail season approaches. The good people on this forum who help spread the word and provide constructive feedback will help us make that happen. For that, we thank you deeply. Let's keep it friendly....please.

Regards,
DHT

Have the tech calibrate the limit switches (PLC). Too much splatter. I'm curious are they using 480V Machines to weld it?

just been reading through this thread, and I am curious, how do you get away with selling this as a 28 ton splitter?
when I went to school -- 4.5 x 4.5 x 3.142 /4 x 3400 /2240 = 24.14 this is 4 ton short of the advertised 28 ton, dont you have advertising standards in the us, os does no one care about actual facts any more/

just been reading through this thread, and I am curious, how do you get away with selling this as a 28 ton splitter?
when I went to school -- 4.5 x 4.5 x 3.142 /4 x 3400 /2240 = 24.14 this is 4 ton short of the advertised 28 ton, dont you have advertising standards in the us, os does no one care about actual facts any more/

Well good question. 1) its a 27 ton.

Area on the piston = 15.904 in^2 Nominal Pressure = 3400 Psi

15.904*3400 = 54072.6 lbs

54072.6 / 2000 = 27.04 Tons.

2000lb does not a ton make, a short ton maybe, but not a real ton, 1 ton = 20cwt = 2240lb, american maths shortchanging folks again, lol

2000lb does not a ton make, a short ton maybe, but not a real ton, 1 ton = 20cwt = 2240lb, american maths shortchanging folks again, lol

2000 lbs is considered a US ton. If it pleases the folks in Europe we'll happily rebrand the tonnage accordingly should we ever sell in your market.

Courage SH265 (6.5HP) on the 13 GPM pumps, Command Pro CH395 (9HP) on the 17.5 GPM pumps.

Being in a neighboring state from Colorado, Kansas, and the fact we have TSC's in several nearby cities, i should be able scope one out. They sound impressive from a price and spec. perspective, and im in the market for a splitter to last me awhile. The 9 horse and bigger pump interest me, any pricing on the larger model?

I clearly see the price for the 6.5hp, 13GPM model, how about the 9hp, 17.5GPM model??

ok DHT I'll give you that one, (lol), us and imp figures differ, (I wont even go into metric) still looks like a not to bad splitter

again DHT, looking at the filter setup, have you considered a combined filler/filter/oil return in the top of the tank, would take the filter out of harms wayand allow you to clip the hoses tight in out of the way, I know many would see this as a step bacwards from a cartridge filter, but they've been using elements in hostile enviroments for years, hell they even survive in the building site's

diffrent measurements

this is a gray area really, we call an old 44gal drum a 200 liter now and it holds 50 US galls,but it holds 205 from some suppliers, 200 from others. and force is the same, it is a generalization, most people look at 22ton and say yes or no that will do the job. If it was converted to the European pascals who would have a clue how much pressure that was. and most people in the UK would be comfortable with a ton rating, the US or imperial ton is not part of the equation. All they want is something to do the job

Last edited:
i guess "good enough" or "it works" is what most people shoot for these days:bang:
And that's because that's what the consumer wants. Very few people are willing to pay for a skilled tradesman to make products like this splitter anymore, they want the cheapest price. It's been proven right in this thread; people are 'shopping around', some for a product they think they will like, but most are shopping for the cheapest price. Then when they get something that was the cheapest they could find, they'll pee, whine and moan about how they can't get a quality product anymore. Go look in the bandsawing threads about the mill Harbor Freight is selling for $1895. They have to re-build half the mill either before they even use it or shortly after they've used it for a log or two. Yet they keep buying them. It's the new American way!

But my only point was welding by hand just can't match the robotics on long welds. Up to 6 or 8 inch welds, by hand we can hold our own. Longer than that I can't hang with the robot.
I dunno, I've seen some pretty decent, x-ray quality, manually laid welds on the pipe line. And if anybody would cut down their labor costs, it would be the pipeline companies!

As for the splitter that is the topic of this thread, it looks like a decent consumer oriented machine. I don't think I'd want to go into the firewood business with it, but then again, it wasn't designed for that purpose. And the 'DHT' guy seems to be doing all he can to be responsive to all your questions. If he is any representation of his company's customer service philosophy, I'd say they'll do pretty good.

chaikwa.......the pipeline weld is a different animal. On the pipe you weld as long as the rod last. Clean the ending spot and strike another rod. As good as pipeline welders are, I've not seen one that can run as long and smooth a weld as the robot can. I'm not saying the weld is not clean, strong, good looking, and solid. Just that they can only keep it going as long as the rod last. I've been away from it so long now I don't even know how they are welding now days. I know they tried mig at one time but the wind kinda shot that down.

again DHT, looking at the filter setup, have you considered a combined filler/filter/oil return in the top of the tank, would take the filter out of harms wayand allow you to clip the hoses tight in out of the way, I know many would see this as a step bacwards from a cartridge filter, but they've been using elements in hostile enviroments for years, hell they even survive in the building site's

Agree with you in theory

In this case I see two problems, maybe DHT can comment, but first I'm not sure their tank is large enough to physically mount and get such a unit in. Second, those types of filters are expensive to buy and replace, even in volume, and since DHT is trying to maintain a price point with this splitter the additional expense just isn't in the budget.

From my previous posts, I'm not a fan of the return line filter location either, but if the end user smashes or damages it, it is considered abuse, and not a warranty claim. Same situation as going off road in a new truck and taking out a brake line on branch or a stump.

Take Care

And that's because that's what the consumer wants. Very few people are willing to pay for a skilled tradesman to make products like this splitter anymore, they want the cheapest price. It's been proven right in this thread; people are 'shopping around', some for a product they think they will like, but most are shopping for the cheapest price.

If he wanted to, Kevin in Ohio can go in and stay in no problem. There is always room for the best. Yup, consumers want cheap stuff 'cause it is inherent in what they do. When you consume, she's gone. Now put a powder coat, road worthy undercarriage, cartridge filter and how about some access points for grease fittings?-- Now you transcend the consumer market and are in with the big dog. I want a splitter I can park in the living room next to my SuperGlide.

Hey guys,

Let me try and answer some of your questions:

1) REJ2 - 28 ton pricing is dependent upon the retail outlet. MSRP is $1599-1699

2) BigMog - OK we might be using 2000 US lbs for our tonnage calculation but please give us a little credit....all of the nut/bolts are metric! Not all US companies are preventing a (sensible) change!

3) Swamp Yankee - We have looked at the intake / return cartridge filters. Unfortunately they are rather expensive and even more difficult for the user to service and find replacement parts for. Large retailers and their customers like the automotive spin-on type filters.....they see it...it is familiar to them....it does the job...they are available in the store. Maybe we'll go the cartridge route for our higher end, lower volume products. As stated before this 27 ton is for the retail consumer / pro-sumer. 10,000 units per year, its far from boutique or bespoke.

At some point in the near future we'll start a thread on designing a high end commercial splitter..... You'll have the opportunity to help us crowd source / design the product. It will be fun!! Arbonaut - we won't give you a commercial splitter that you can park next to your Superglide.....I'd rather us aim for a Ducati. No offense they are just more elegant.

DHT

At some point in the near future we'll start a thread on designing a high end commercial splitter..... You'll have the opportunity to help us crowd source / design the product. It will be fun!! Arbonaut - we won't give you a commercial splitter that you can park next to your Superglide.....I'd rather us aim for a Ducati. No offense they are just more elegant.

DHT

Hahaha. Good one, Man. How about calling it , "The Logorotti." Put a iPOD on that thang so I can crank some Wagner or Mozart- OK? Consulting this crowd right here is a honey hole for designing anything woods related, you'll find. We haven't found much out there we can't break.

Hahaha. Good one, Man. How about calling it , "The Logorotti." Put a iPOD on that thang so I can crank some Wagner or Mozart- OK? Consulting this crowd right here is a honey hole for designing anything woods related, you'll find. We haven't found much out there we can't break.

Logarotti

Logati

Splitacati

Logamborghini

Splitaborghini

Hold that thought....need to call our patent lawyer and get the trademarks!

Congrats you just helped name our commercial / rental line!

Back