Iowa Charity Cut -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking next charity cut in Waukee would be next spring either May 14th or 21st 2016. Already collected 5 loads of nice logs for next year.

Starting a diesel log splitter build with a 34 hp Kubota engine out of an old golf course mower. Planning to assemble after Christmas time. I have the mower and hydraulic cylinder. 4.5" bore 30" stroke and 3.5" shaft. Planning auto cycle controls with adjustable 4 way and hydraulic winch with light weight tongs for lifting larger rounds. Going to try and use a tandem single stage pumps. One section for ram and other section for 4 way and winch The super splits can take the smaller rounds. This splitter is to handle the 14" to 28" pieces. I think a log lift gets in the way at charity cuts. But a log lift does make a great work table. Maybe make some wood staging tables to make thing more efficient.

Someone suggested I add a turbo to the V1305 kubota engine. Don't know if that is possible since the v1305 never came with a turbo.
How much GPM you hoping to run through your main cylinder? What ever it is, it'll be a super quick return stroke, even for a 30" stroke!! You'll more then likely have to run a dump valve, as your GPM coming out of the cylinder on the return will be pretty high. I figured mine to be around 64 GPM, for just under 2 seconds.

I'm getting anxious to see how quick mine will be on the new splitter.

Yes a dump valve. 64 gpm.! Oh no I will need the bigger dump valve then. The pump is 1.6 cubic inch gear pump on each side. At 3000 rpm it should be about 19 gallons per minute. @ 2500 psi. May need a turbo on motor.

Took me all week to find a place that sells dump valves. Is there another name for them. P & J has them.

Yes a dump valve. 64 gpm.! Oh no I will need the bigger dump valve then. The pump is 1.6 cubic inch gear pump on each side. At 3000 rpm it should be about 19 gallons per minute. @ 2500 psi. May need a turbo on motor.

Took me all week to find a place that sells dump valves. Is there another name for them. P & J has them.
P&J or splitez.com (same place) has Sun Hydraulics dump valves. I don't think Sun calls them a 'dump valve' though. I'll look through my pics, I think I have my model number and can look it up on their site to see what they call it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

19 GPM on your cylinder (4.5" bore, 3.5" rod) would be about 48GPM on the return stroke, coming out of your cylinder. I made a spreadsheet with some formulas when I was looking to get the rod changed out in my splitter, to see which dump valve I'd need. I can send it to you if you want.

About same price as ellis 9400 new. There was a like new ellis on ebay last week. Sold for $2100 out side Chicago area. There is a Bridgeport in Orange city Iowa but don't know what I need or if it has everything.
A set of collets and a vise with a set of hold downs. A drill chuck and some end mills and your good to go. There is no real "set" that goes with a mill.

A set of collets and a vise with a set of hold downs. A drill chuck and some end mills and your good to go. There is no real "set" that goes with a mill.

Various places sell starter kits for mills. It's usually a R8 collet set, vise, drill chuck, toe clamp kit and some HSS end mills.

An import Bridgeport style would be just fine. Most used Bridgeports in the $2-3k range are beat up. Step pulley with VFD instead of variable head then you can wire you're own tapping switches.

One in the QCA for $1500, older jet so it's made in Taiwan and will be pretty decent quality. It has X power feed and comes with vise and collets. Add a cheap VFD and you are on your way.
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/hvo/5067542445.html

19 GPM on your cylinder (4.5" bore, 3.5" rod) would be about 48GPM on the return stroke, coming out of your cylinder. I made a spreadsheet with some formulas when I was looking to get the rod changed out in my splitter, to see which dump valve I'd need. I can send it to you if you want.
48 gpm is what I calculated with calculated return of 2.6 seconds. Cycle time of 9 seconds.

Ask Alex how he likes plumbing separate valve banks and dump valves and coolers. He's soon to be an expert!! :cool:

Going to be lots of hoses and fittings. It takes three hoses on each side of the cylinder unless you mount the dump valve to the cylinder.

Ordered my auto cycle valves, spool valves, and big dump valve yesterday. Fittings on filter are 1.5"

Doug would your 3120xp run this big boy bar?

72"

f30b16fd3d7f51d44008bd35be432ee2.jpg
24f74e234e59da7ea1454b5cf4d7704c.jpg

Doug would your 3120xp run this big boy bar?

72"

f30b16fd3d7f51d44008bd35be432ee2.jpg
24f74e234e59da7ea1454b5cf4d7704c.jpg
Oh yes. It does my 60" bar just fine. I have seen on TV "Redwood Kings" a 3120 running 156" bar. Big redwoods cutting timeline logs. Big bars get expensive. Plus take lots of chain.

Loved the pictures from the west coasted gtg. Lots of big wood. I have only used my 60" bar for stumping and big silver maples.

Oh yes. It does my 60" bar just fine. I have seen on TV "Redwood Kings" a 3120 running 156" bar. Big red woods cutting time line logs. Big bars get expensive. Plus take lots of chain.

Loved the pictures from the west coasted gtg. Lots of big wood. I have only used my 60" bar for stumping and big silver maples.

I picked this up at an auction in WY of all places. I'm mystified as to why there is a bar this big in WY.
A 36 or maybe a 48 would cut all the trees I've seen around here. Looks new. You want it? I've got another guy thinking about it.
You want runner up if he backs out?

Latest posts

Back