Iowa Flood 2008

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you and yours are fairing alright with the flood waters.
We are keeping you Iowans and midwesterners in our prayers.
Bob

As far as we go, HIGH AND DRY however across from our new store on the other side of the street is a row of houses, water front property 75 feet from house is a 30 feet drop off to river. Some of them have had such bad mudslides that they have lost their yard and their garages are about to fall into the river. If they go and the houses follow, then my new store becomes water front property.

It is a sad deal and we are to a point of joking about it because what can you do. The big joke around here is that the value of our new store is about to drastically increase because waterfront property is worth alot more than our current scenario.

Prayers sent to all that are suffering through this. One thing that has struck me as interesting is that the people seem to be dealing with it as best they can as reported by the media, not pointing fingers and screaming for government help as in Katrina.

It is interesting that you point that out. When we were down at Katrina a few years ago my staff kept saying that had that happened in Iowa it would be done and over with in a few months.

Around here it is people helping people. Neighbors helping neighbors. Iowa has always been a place that has taken care of its own.

Following some of the disasters that have happened around here I often laugh when I see people from out of state rushing in to make a quick buck, to only find that everything is already done.

It is really great to live in a place like that.

So Sad: Mother nature wine everytime. I live 4 hours north of you, we're okay so far. After all the blood, sweat, tears, all thats left is to laugh about it and give mother nature the finger and ask why. I may be down there in a few weeks setting up FEMA trailers. I will be living in truck, under truck, or a tent. All trailers go to residents for obvious reasons......Hope all is well with your home and store. Prayers sent, Bruce:)

Wishing you the best...

to answer your original question about the trees-a lot will depend on how long the water stays or receeds. the deciduous trees should come out of it okay. cedars and pines maybe not.

I was working in N. Minnesota in 93 when the last one hit. I remember coming home to KS in August and seeing the water line marks on some buildings along I35 north of des moines. Absolutly amazing.

Back