Iron and Oak splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brought it home with me yesterday for a test run and split some oak. Probably ran it 1 to 1 1/2 hrs it seems to work fine. It seems to work just as well with the engine at fast idle as it does at full throttle maybe not quite as fast of cycle speed but plenty of splitting power. Is it ok to run the engine at less than full throttle?
And by the way the splitter was not stored with the ram out. I had started it up an ran it through a few cycles and left it out when I went to the truck to get my camera.
I told the guy when I took it home that I would go ahead and buy it so I guess now I can retire my maul and wedges.

:cheers: Looks like you got yourself an awesome deal my friend. Congrats to you! Enjoy your new toy!:cheers:

Yes, the ram should be retracted when stored..

Can someone please explain this to me?

I ask because I have found recently that the weight of my splitter is much better balanced when the ram is extended, and makes it a heck of a lot easier to maneuver around by hand.

Thanks.

I ask because I have found recently that the weight of my splitter is much better balanced when the ram is extended, and makes it a heck of a lot easier to maneuver around by hand.

Thanks.

Yep move it around extended just retract it before you store it for any length of time. Just makes sense that the highly machined and polished ram is not out in the elements.

" Quote JoeB- Is it ok to run the engine at less than full throttle?"

Joe, My manual always said to run it full throttle but I rarely ever do. You'll find that some types of wood only require a few inches of the wedge and they click right off, so your only moving 6" back and forth on a large block and can boogie right along. I will usually throttle it up and then back off too about 75%. Little better fuel economy and still have a bit in reserve if I have a stubborn piece.:greenchainsaw:

Thanks.

The rod and wedge or push plate are 1/2 the weight of the cylinder . When extending the rod approx. 50+ pounds are transfered to the opposite end of the machine.

Now that you have it....

I'd go through the engine and check things out. How clean is the air filter? I'd pop in a new spark plug. Change out the engine oil. Then you know where your at on maintenance. Check air pressure in tires and make sure cap is on stem. Do a good inspection of everything.

It seems to work just as well with the engine at fast idle as it does at full throttle maybe not quite as fast of cycle speed but plenty of splitting power. Is it ok to run the engine at less than full throttle?

I believe it is better at full throttle, my manual also says to run at full throttle. I believe at full throttle is actually easier on the entire system.

Look at it this way, without being at full throttle you tend to have the effect of bogging down the machine, almost like driving in the wrong gear with your car going up hill...same effect.

There is a log dislodger available for that unit. Be careful because if one is jamed up & you raise it too far it will completely tear off the handle & take out valve switcher unit. Reasonably priced thru Brave the take over company. Had mine for 11 years now.

Back