Is a 266 worth a Hoot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1981 they sold over 5000 of them on Vancouver Island alone and I bought 4 of them at the time. They were my first saws and I was a newbie then. I seized a couple because I leaned them out to much.:dizzy:
They vibrate too much for any kind of prolonged use though. It's main competitor at the time was the Partner 5000 Plus or it's Jonsered counterpart (490?), in the tree spacing sector anyway.
Gypo

In 1981 they sold over 5000 of them on Vancouver Island alone and I bought 4 of them at the time. They were my first saws and I was a newbie then. I seized a couple because I leaned them out to much.:dizzy:
They vibrate too much for any kind of prolonged use though. It's main competitor at the time was the Partner 5000 Plus or it's Jonsered counterpart (490?), in the tree spacing sector anyway.
Gypo

The 490 sure was the counterpart of the P5000 - but they both are a lot (18cc) smaller than the 266......:confused:

Last edited:
Well, Husky didn't have a really worthy competitor in the 50cc class at the time - the 50 Rancher was the closest one, a detuned and demoted version of the P5000.......

Very true, the 266 was a bit overpowered for tree spacing. The Finlanders I worked with prefered the smaller Partner and Jonsered.
Gypo

I first used one slashing row in '88, then spacing in '93-'94. Used a 18" bar, 73JG. Great saw, reliable, powerfull. One of Huskies best.

I was thinking the 254 might have been a better mid range saw for spacing but not sure when it was introduced. I suspect later than the 266. Surely a good contender for the Partner 5000.
Gypo

Can you still get the P&C for that model, if you can I would! I have seen that saw of my Grandfathers do a pile of work! tough!

Looks like Bailey's has them.... quite pricy though. Kinda making me think twice about this saw. A piston is one thing but 384.00 for a P&C is another:)

That could be another 5100:greenchainsaw:

Back