Is any one using a bar mounted filing guide?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the Granberg but also found it clumsy, awkward, hard to get adjusted just right, etc. It just collects dust now.

I use the FOP and have had very good luck with it.

I agree with "clumsy, awkward, hard to get adjusted just right". My main problem is the adjusting wing nuts and my fingers are incompatible.

It took me more than 3 hours of use until I got a pattern down for setting it up and switching it around.

But I run 5 different sets of chains which require 3 different file sizes and at least 3 different angles to really get them correct. The Grandberg gives some accuracy and repetition to my filing, especially when I'm interrupted halfway thru doing 135 links on my longer ripping chains.

If your not using yours, do you want to sell it?

If your not using yours, do you want to sell it?

I'm not quite ready to sell it.......but close. Every so often I see it sitting there and decide to give it another go. Then I get frustrated and put it away again. :cry: I hate when I can't get something to work right so it's mainly just a pride thing for me. I'm sure I'll give it another try or two before throwing in the towel.

I bought a granberg to even up cutters after hitting nails and wire.

Flippity, floppity, non indexing, Rube goldbergian collection of parts.

If anybody wants it, come get it. I can have a 28" skip chain filed back to "Close enough" in the time it takes to set the granberg upon the bar..

Neat idea. Just not fer me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

How are you with flippy caps?

I generally file by hand, but use the Granberg 2-3 times in the life of a chain so that my errors don't multiply too much.

I use the husky roller guides as well for 90% of my filing and if it's to bad it goes on the grinder. I never did care for the bar mounted guides.:cheers:

How are you with flippy caps?

I generally file by hand, but use the Granberg 2-3 times in the life of a chain so that my errors don't multiply too much.

LOL!!

Another pointless exercise in masturbatory engineering.
4 parts where 1 will do fine.
Unless they are messed up or worn out(another pet peeve) I don't have issues with 'em.

I figured to do the same thing with the Granberg, but the fussing around getting it set up and then flopping it over while trying to find the pathetic index marks is too much of a PITA. Dial caliper and a file is faster for me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I bought 2 of these for $20 from the bargain bin of the local hardware. Impeded one to hold a square ground file. The other is spare parts. I freehand touchups and use abasic oregon guide for sharpening.

Not real sure why folks have problems with the granberg file guide. I am totally against guides, but picked this one up at the local swap meet for $2, so I figured what the heck. Seems well built, all metal construction easy to use and makes one heck of a sharp chain.

I had a cheap HF grinder and now upgraded to the NT grinder. I have used the Stihl guides that basically just help with depth. I have free hand filed as well.

My preference is a granberg type file guide. I seem to get my sharpest chains with it. I have the plastic oregon copy that I use on my .325 chain and a real granberg for my 3/8 chain.

I recently started "pulling" the file with the granberg rather than "pushing" like you would normally do with a file. It feels much smoother to me. I attach the handle (pointy) end of the file opposite the handle on the granberg. Then i pull on the granberg's handle, thus pulling the file across the chain's tooth. This seems to work really well.

I can file a chain just about as fast with the granberg as I can with the grinder and I get a sharper chain. Once you figure out the granberg, it is a cinch to switch to the other side cutters.

Grandberg

I have one and get good results. It takes a little effort at first to figure it out, but is well worth it and makes a really sharp chain. I think it sharpens better than what you could get done at a shop on a grinder. At least you would not have to worry about overheating the cutters.

Don't think I could use a guide. Been doin it much too long by eye and feel. :confused:

Might look into a good grinder at some point, though I don't really know why :)

I have used a few different models, and they all seem to work in the same way, the difference between them being materials and build quality. The Granberg seems to be as good as they get, but I liked the Oregon model quite a bit also. I used them exclusively until I bought a grinder and I liked the precision and consistency they provide. I DO think they are probably slower than hand filing but I'm rarely in a hurry.

These days I grind two chains for each saw I bring into the wood and it seems just about right for the size of my truck. I still keep the filing rig in my tool kit, though... never can tell.

Not real sure why folks have problems with the granberg file guide. I am totally against guides, but picked this one up at the local swap meet for $2, so I figured what the heck. Seems well built, all metal construction easy to use and makes one heck of a sharp chain.
Yes a very sharp chain and all the angles the same:clap: 7900-the BEST

Latest posts

Back