Upstart bars any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a low priced bar to give to an older guy on fixed income. 20" .325 .050 78dl k095 mount. The best deal I've found is upstart components. I've never heard of them. It probably won't see any heavy use just want to make sure it would be usable. Thanks.

I have no direct experience with the Upstart bars but there's an active thread regarding them over on OPE. Feedback is limited but seems to be positive for a cheap, laminate bar.

Their .325 and 3/8 chain seems to be a Stihl copy with dimpling on the drive links. The 3/8lp seems to be an oregon 91vxl copy. I got a bar andl chain combo in 3/8lp and the bar chipped first use plunge cutting in a birch tree. Chipped at the place the chain leaves the nose sprocket and impacts the bar. I kind of like the .325 chain but have mostly used the modern NK stuff lately. The 3/8 chain seems alright but takes a bunch of file strokes to get to actually sharpening the edge. A bar and chain combo set in .325 would be half safe to get hopefully not a 10 tooth nose for the bar.

Their .325 and 3/8 chain seems to be a Stihl copy with dimpling on the drive links. The 3/8lp seems to be an oregon 91vxl copy. I got a bar andl chain combo in 3/8lp and the bar chipped first use plunge cutting in a birch tree. Chipped at the place the chain leaves the nose sprocket and impacts the bar. I kind of like the .325 chain but have mostly used the modern NK stuff lately. The 3/8 chain seems alright but takes a bunch of file strokes to get to actually sharpening the edge. A bar and chain combo set in .325 would be half safe to get hopefully not a 10 tooth nose for the bar.

I think all theirs are 10 tooth.

I'm looking for a low priced bar to give to an older guy on fixed income. 20" .325 .050 78dl k095 mount. The best deal I've found is upstart components. I've never heard of them. It probably won't see any heavy use just want to make sure it would be usable. Thanks.
I bought a 24" solid replaceable tip off scamazon in a D176 pattern....(which turned into two)

They copied the 2d pattern off the net so no oiling through the adjuster hole....

The fitment of the tip to bar was so bad they used a bondo type body filler before paint.

I'm running an 18 inch Upstart bar on my "junker" this summer which is a modified Poulan 2550. I keep that saw to run ethanol gas mix for small or dirty jobs, cut buckthorn and stumps etc. I'm just not willing to flush cut stumps and buckthorn in the mud with an expensive saw. I store the junk saw with a full tank of marine grade stabile ethanol gas mix in the saw and grab it when I have something to cut. So far this year, I've run about 8-10 tanks of gas and am 90% through a chain that was brand new in spring with that brand new Upstart bar. Sorry, I don't keep track of hours of run time on my junk saw.

I'm telling you all this not to start a war about ethanol fuel / Poulans etc., but just to give you an clear idea of my use and application of that saw relative to your specific question about Upstart Component entry level chainsaw bar quality. I'm seeing about the same wear on the Upstart bar as I have seen on Poulan bars or even Oregon bars and I'm experiencing no noticeable difference in function. For me, it's a lower investment than “brand name” bars and perfect for a high abuse low end. The Upstart bar is cheap, disposable, acceptable, and adequate and I'm not out a lot if I bend it when I abuse it. Don't over think it for your application. If the saw is for "minimal use" the bar will probably get sold or thrown out with the saw when the older gentleman is finished with it. Also proper maintenance never gets done on occasional use saws, so if he runs out of oil, or cuts with a dull chain - so what. And if he does somehow manage to wear it out without wrecking it, then put a "better" bar on his saw because at that point it's actually not a "Minimal Use" application.

I'm running an 18 inch Upstart bar on my "junker" this summer which is a modified Poulan 2550. I keep that saw to run ethanol gas mix for small or dirty jobs, cut buckthorn and stumps etc. I'm just not willing to flush cut stumps and buckthorn in the mud with an expensive saw. I store the junk saw with a full tank of marine grade stabile ethanol gas mix in the saw and grab it when I have something to cut. So far this year, I've run about 8-10 tanks of gas and am 90% through a chain that was brand new in spring with that brand new Upstart bar. Sorry, I don't keep track of hours of run time on my junk saw.

I'm telling you all this not to start a war about ethanol fuel / Poulans etc., but just to give you an clear idea of my use and application of that saw relative to your specific question about Upstart Component entry level chainsaw bar quality. I'm seeing about the same wear on the Upstart bar as I have seen on Poulan bars or even Oregon bars and I'm experiencing no noticeable difference in function. For me, it's a lower investment than “brand name” bars and perfect for a high abuse low end. The Upstart bar is cheap, disposable, acceptable, and adequate and I'm not out a lot if I bend it when I abuse it. Don't over think it for your application. If the saw is for "minimal use" the bar will probably get sold or thrown out with the saw when the older gentleman is finished with it. Also proper maintenance never gets done on occasional use saws, so if he runs out of oil, or cuts with a dull chain - so what. And if he does somehow manage to wear it out without wrecking it, then put a "better" bar on his saw because at that point it's actually not a "Minimal Use" application.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. That's about what I was thinking. The biggest reason I didn't order one is because of their terrible website. I couldn't be sure what to order. They only list one saw per bar., mostly jonsered, and the ones I'm familiar with that I think are k095, the part number has k041 in it. The pictures all the same. I gave up.

Totally respect your decision. I got a pair at Walmart for very low price per bar. Made sense at the time

I would have gotten them if I could've been certain it was k095 .325 .050 78dl.
I may look into again later. I took an old 20" craftsman 3.3 bar, k041 mount and drilled oil holes in it and enlarged the chain adjuster holes to fit the Husqvarna. It seems to work and oil ok, haven't put it in wood yet though.

Latest posts

Back