Is Arboristsite Going Down the Tubes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too felt that AS might be going down the tubes today, so I figured I'd try to bring myself out of the depression by doing a little indiscriminate firewood cutting. At 25 bucks for half a face cord of this green-as-grass Bulgarian Bugwood, hopefully it'll cover the cost of putting a transmission in my new truck that I'm using as a forwarder. Because I have no use for select cutting, I often mistakenly drive over the high stumps and sometimes rock out drivetrain components. Anyway, I feel better now. I'm happy that this site is going to be OK in spite of me.

The Thing That Wouldn't Leave:)

Oh MAN,WAS EVERYBODY RIDE'N ME TODAY, GOD DAMIT,

I feel everyone has to chill out. Take it from ME!!!!!!

Marky,How much does a face cord of sativa logs cost? I want the good stuff too. No stinky, unseasoned crap from lower kentucka. BTW Did I tell you I developed my own blend of grass? Its a cross between kentucky blue, featherbed bent, and nor Cal sensamia.

Doug, Nice forwarding truck. I especially like the dual pipes. I plan to do the same to my rig, except squeeze the tail pipe outlets down to 1 1/2 copper plumbing pipe to get that much cherished pop when I let off the gas. Do you think galvinized fence posts would work for my trucks exhaust? I could sure save alot of money going that route as galinzed can be had at the junkyard cheap. BTW Do you have the mullet (aka hockey) cut to much the forwarding truck.

Muthatrucka

Last edited:
MM, that was the most sensible post I've seen in a while. I gotta smile...and try to recall disconnected bits of my wasted youth.

What's wrong with AS? I dunno. I haven't been around much because I have had some other things on my mind, including some new responsibilities at work. Either the ownership thinks a lot of me, or they're setting me up to fail so I can be gotten rid of more easily.

As if that's important. What is important, it seems, is that two or three people (out of dozens, maybe hundreds) can notify the site moderators that there has been a vulgar word or other distasteful display, and the moderator gets stuck in the middle. C'mon...can't ya lighten up?

If John L., Doug B, Fish, and Dennis didn't add their two cents from time to time the place wouldn't be worth stopping in for. I came in contact with Gypo and some of those other cats way back on Gardweb, and followed them here. I actually joined here before most of them did, but seldom came by because it wasn't very exciting until then.

So maybe people like me should be banned for encouraging folks like John L?

Gypo you guys in Ontario have equipment to work with timber that large :D

What did you use to skid the tree out ? Use a D-8 Cat or did you summon every skidder in the Province to pull one tree out of the bush :p

My brother worked at a friend of ours log sort they had this fir log it was 30' long and 9' in diameter it took two 40 ton Lorrain healbooms to lift the log onto a lowbed. The log was a 9' in diameter for the full length I forget where it was going but the sucker was worth 20,000 dollars.

Thanks Eyolf for the feedback, lets promise to entertain to the best of our ability. You have always been around and I enjoy your presence. Lets take a moment of silence to pledge alligiance to Woodtickdom. " I promise to stir up trouble whenever the opertunity arises. I promise to act my age and not my shoe size. I will treat boring people and the disenchanted with the same respect due myself. I also promise to cut the least wood with the most powerful saw I can get built. I will do dangerous things with abandon and emerge unscathed. I will garner others wisdom and knowledge and post it elsewhere as though it were my own in order to be a guru unto myself, since being an armchair expert is much easier that accomplishing it on our own. I also will not be thined skined and will step up to the plate If I feel I am not included in some in some real or imagined fraturnity, and that we are all equals."
John

All right, I`ll take my turn in the box for being outspoken and openly challenging Gypo`s statement that the little people should expect to live and function at a lower level than a woodsgod like himself, but how did this thread turn into a perceived condemnation of Dennis or talk of banishment for anyone. Maybe I`m being vain but it looks like your last post was aimed at me John since I`m the only person who elaborated in any negative way. Let`s talk about thin skin. I only mentioned the Babcock group because you guys are the most prolific and flamboyant posters, a force rather than individuals. So be it. I also only mentioned that I apparently don`t fit into Doug`s gang because he has not responded to questions I`ve directed at him so I assume that he doesn`t want to play. We`re big boys so we can choose who we associate with. And I only say Babcock`s gang because he is clearly the alpha male, it is not a derogatory remark. If you are in fact directing your tongue in cheek pledge toward me, I openly admit that a few years ago I did have a breakthrough in my freehand filing thanks to pointers from yourself and Walt Galer. I never really took filing too seriously until then. So now if I offer advice to anyone who has a question should I also footnote that you and Walt helped me gain this knowledge? Is it conceivable that with the initial help you gave me getting over the hump and with plenty of subsequent filing that I could have learned a few things on my own? I`ll put my hand filed round ground against anybody`s. I completely use up about 15 chains a year, all hand filed, and rarely use a grinder except for other peoples chain. I`ll admit that I`m boring if you like, I try to answer and ask questions directly and fully realize that all of my written communication are open for the world to see. Since I have chosen not to walk away from my child and I have evidence that my darling wife is tracking me on the computer, I cannot afford to give her anything she can use against me in court now can I? Especially in a mother biased state like New York. Clearly you have more woods experience than I do since I haven`t worked full time in the woods since the 80`s, but if the extent of your annual logging is what you post here, you`re not much ahead of me in annual saw time, and I work more than 2000 hours a year in my "day job". So what other wisdom should we share? You know as well as I do that another poster who you called as loyal as a $2 hooker had a bad experience with one of the members here and he felt like he was mislead. Should he just accept that sometimes a person just gets screwed and that he shouldn`t have any hard feelings. I know both sides of the story as I`m sure you do as well, and I can see how this guy comes to his present opinion based on the circumstances as he sees them. I`m also pretty sure that that statements I made to you in confidence were shared with others so what am I to think, or doesn`t it matter. Russ

ain't been around here long but this place has more info and the usual debates.than any other sites i have came across.
interesting group of folks! and I am sure I will learn abunch just hanging around and asking questions now and then and reading what others say.
Haven't worked in small engine shop in over 25 years so have things to learn. and i crack up over some of the replys.:)

Russ,
Just a quick note about your comments above. First, if I haven't replied to some of your posts directed toward me, I assure you that it was not intentional. I've never harbored or expressed any ill feelings toward you either openly or in private.

As far as the "gang" thing goes; while it's true that I am part of a core group of very good friends here, I don't think that any of us, collectively or individually, has ever singled out any other group of individuals with respect toward any kind of "conspiracy". As close friends, we will naturally stick together on issues publicly, but that doesn't mean we always agree on things privately either. Make no mistake about it, there's much more interaction that goes on between us offsite than on. We are all very different, but we also have many similarities. To be sure, our interest in chainsaws is the focal point of our commonality, but it's only one of many interests that we share.

As far as the core group of friends goes, Dennis is far and away the most serious when it comes to AS activities, and he should be. John, Robert and myself are always horsing around, but on certain topics we can be serious too. Collectively, I'm pleased to say that we have many other friends on AS as well.

In regard to problems with certain other AS members; that almost always starts off as an individual thing, not a collective group initiative. I have my faults for sure, but I'm not opposed to people voicing there opinions about things that I do. I am always open to constructive criticism. I enjoy coming here because of the vast melting pot of personalities involved. The fact that this site happens to center around chainsaws is immaterial. For me, the prime subject is merely a vehicle for interaction. I believe that the people who have issues with me generally have good reason. The kind of individuals that I personally have no use for are those that are either malicious in their intent, go to great lengths to portray themselves as something that they are not and those who live in a dual standard world, where they figure that they can do whatever they want, but are the first to whine and complain when someone else does something similar. These people know who they are by their own actions, not because I have labeled them as such. All I've ever done is provided certain environments where they have exposed themselves. Provide a catalyst, then sit back and observe.

One final note: I am most certainly not the alpha male of any group. Being Beavergirl makes me the alpha female.. and why wouldn't it?

Russ, if you want to be one of the guys, the first thing you have to do is break-up your long winded discourse with some paragraphs. Note how Babcock did it above. That is what makes him an Alpha Male and not the leg lifting he did on my burn barrel while at my place. (I don't know what place in the pecking order you get for throwing marked garments into the burn barrel. Ask another of the group about that). Mike

Group

I would like to make another comment regarding our "group".
This is not directed to anyone in particular, just a general statement of my feelings.

The main reason, and I do feel I am correct in saying this, that we are the group we are, is because everyone in this group as well as being like minded, has made an effort to be part of it.

Last year in March, John drove across Canada for 5 days to meet myself and Rotax Robert, who drove 8 hours to stay for the weekend. Robert came to visit me twice after that.
I then went to Washington to meet him at a race for the weekend.

Come July, Mike Rupley and his wife drove the 20 hours to my house for the Revival. Jon Rupley flew up to be here for a couple days. Doug made the arrangements to fly here from Germany. His wife met him in Chicago and they travelled together. Gypo once again flew out to Rotax's place and they drove up here together. Rbtree has made the effort to drive here as well on several occasions.

Just this past week, as most of you know, Gypo, myself, Doug, and Robert all made the effort to go to California to see the Rupleys, Ken Dunn and Art Martin. Marky Mark tried but work got in the way. (that happens, I have had to cancel trips as well)

This kind of interaction with each other, is without question, going to bring us closer together as friends. (and why wouldn't it?)

I do understand alot of people have other commitments and priorities, as they should. Not everyone can jump on a plane and go play with chainsaws for the weekend, and that is also understood. We, as a group, have just made it a priority, and have made commitments to our friends. Should we be chastised (admittedly not the right word, couldn't think of it..) for this?

oh yeah and Mike.....yuck!!!

We've been having a kind of "quadrophenic" disturbance here in the chainsaw forum.&nbsp; My post from yesterday in the <i>crudely-named</i> thread is almost more pertinent here.&nbsp; I may have intended it for this thread but I don't remember.

Various applicable portions of lyrics from an 80 minute program appear in <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=82308">post #82308</a>.

Hey Dennis, how did it become that I cycled across Canada? That was in 74. The trip you are refering to was from Jasper Alberta to Faulkland B.C., for a grand total of 500 kilometres. It's funny how things get distorded by time, but it still sounds good though.
The reason why some of us have developed friendships here is because we have invested the time and money to do so as Dennis has mentioned. We all laugh at each other, but we have fun. If anyone wishes to be included, then all that is neccessary is to make the effort, but its ok to sit back and go for the ride.
Russ, you are sounding a bit like John Candy, from the movie Trains, Planes and Automobiles, when Steve Martin gave it verbaly to him with both barrels. I wish I could find it so I could copy and paste it here. It is very funny indeed.
Stay tuned as the plot thickens.
PS., does this look like an alpha male to you guys? And why would it?
John

"PS., does this look like an alpha male to you guys? And why would it?"

And why would it? Rotax is the alpha male.

As much as this thread is getting ridiculous, I will try one more time to define what my issue is and what it isn`t.

The fact that several of you guys are very good friends who get together periodically and consequently seem to share a group mentality, is not the issue. I have no problem with that, not that it should matter if I did, and as far as I know I have been invited to some of your gatherings but have have been unable to attend, so at the least I did not feel like I couldn`t be part of your group of friends, but again, that is not the issue. I made a somewhat offhand remark about my perception that Doug was not interested in sharing info and it has taken on a life of it`s own. I accept what Doug has told me regarding lack of reply and that`s the end of that perception on my part. But trust me, I haven`t been sitting here wondering why I can`t be part of the gang either. I realize that you guys have bonded through the get togethers. That`s great! It`s still not what bugged me.

I realize that it`s just ordinary human nature to bond with certain like minded people and then take a somewhat collective stance against people who don`t agree with you, but frankly I don`t like John`s notion that two classes with two different sets of rules should exist here. I have had the displeasure of seeing the persons collectively referred to as the group wolfpack another member who had a significant offline disagreement with a member of the group rather than letting it be hashed out between the two of them. Ironically one of the group had expressed similar sentiments as the scorned member in this case.

Another case is the way that many of the members of this site have been all over a certain other member because he is believed to be an imposter. Can anyone here say that there isn`t alot of BS slung all over this forum by many? So if this guy is the imposter you suspect him of being, isn`t it pathetic enough that you could just leave him alone? I despise a liar as much as anyone else does, but if this guy really is an imposter, I think his condition goes beyond simple lying. Can`t we as intelligent adults help him see the error of his ways rather than pushing him to the edge? Whew! I`m starting to sound like a freakin` liberal! But then what if he really does have everything he says, does that make him a more valued member? It shouldn`t, although the site is a showcase for all the stuff everybody has. And for the record, I can show current pictures of anything I say I have.

So since this developed into my soapbox, those are my gripes. Don`t read anything more into them than I have said.

John Candy

Russ,
Can you post up some pictures of what you have so we can evaluate them? I can't speak for any others, but I'd certainly like to see what you have. No kiddin'!

One more thing. If I am reading you correctly, I think I am aware of what incident you're talking about. What you don't know is that this incident was just another in a long list of negative, denegrating, behind the back comments and general a$$holery that has been going down for a long time. Many are sick of it.

He's all done. End of discussion.

Last edited:
Good post John Candy! Just the fact that you are willing to take it on the chin about that shows you got it, as far as I am concerned. Speaking of concerned, Did you say that Doug would not share information with you? Well I have been keeping track of the conversations I have had with Doug since I met him. In a discourse of over 4.6 million words I have learned two things from him that I did not know before:
1. His first name
2. His last name
Soooo don't concern yourself about not getting some of Dougs vast knowledge base showered on you. Now if Lambert won't share, let me know. I have ways to make him talk!

Guy brings in a grandfather clock for repair. Old German says "vat seems da problem" Guy says it just goes tick, tick, tick. German grabs a flashlight and points it at the clock face and says;

"Ve have Vays to make you tock!" HA!!!! Mike

Latest posts

Back