Is faster really better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Y'all answer me this. It occured to me today that we, as a forum, are alot like drag car racing. We spend more and more to spend less time of what we truley like to do, and that's cut wood. Spent today helping a friend clear a house lot. Oaks and Hickories had been pushed over when I got there. We limbed, bucked out to trailer length and skidded and loaded. The cutting was done, almost immediately, and the rest of the day was spent dragging and loading.

I think reliable starting/running, weight, low vibration, and power are important in that order. Fast is lower on the list.

I get more and more customers that want light weight, easy starting and low vibration, even if it means a smaller saw than they really need. They are getting smarter!

I think you are right about low weight being right up there with reliability. That is the reason running a modified saw is such a joy. After running my newly Walkerized 346xp I don't even pick up my trusty ol' 262xp anymore. More power, less weight. (I can't wait to see what magic Dennis works with the Solo 651 I sent him . . !) It is a good thing to keep in mind, Light is Right!
It seems to me that when you are looking for a new saw the best way to go about it is to decide on the size saw you think you need. Let's say an 036. Then buy the next smaller size in the line, an 026, and have one of these guys modify it. The cost will be similar, you will have all of the performance if not more and it will be a joy to use!
And WRM, you will not end up using it less because you will enjoy it so much you will find excuses to use it more!

There has only been one time that I didn't find it fun cuttin trees.
About 6 months ago or so, we had a job to cut out 255 trees the guy at the mill bought. They were on the most hilly land around here. Every tree was absolutely full of vines. I dropped 196 trees that day, don't know how many the other 2 topped. It got to the point it wasn't fun anymore carring around the 066.

Probably, power is 1st to me, then weight, and vibration last when i am dropping trees.

It's not so much that the saws can cut faster. For me, it's knowing that I have a properly constructed and maintained tool for doing the job at hand. There is something about a quick, clean cut with big chips flying that says the world is in balance. I'll spend a half hour tearing down a saw for cleaning each night and touching up the cutters, just for that next slice in the wood.
A few years ago I decided no more Black and Decker tools that end up getting smoked after a few months - only Porter Cable. Sure, the price is doubled, but when I pick up the tool, I know it will be around when the job is done.
Now I have the same philosophy with saws, and no regrets. I save $1100 a year by burning wood instead of oil, I get a good workout everytime, and I have made quite a few people happy through cleaning up after the timber guys and giving wood away to folks that otherwise couldn't afford it. What I love most about cutting wood is that after a tough day, you have something to show for it. Beats driving a desk anytime!

All valid points,guys. My wife seems to think that it is much simpler than a question of speed or quality. She says we are all like a bunch of chicks buying shoes, we just buy fast expensive chainsaws!

Buckwheat...loved your post....your sentiments about having the confidence in knowing that when you pick up a tool, you know it is reliable and will get the job done....Well stated brother. And thanks again.

Hi WRM, I think you would have to quantify "faster". I think with current chain design, we are getting near our maximized top chain speed for bucking and felling cuts, but for repetitive short burst cuts like limbing, faster is definitely better. I also believe beyond doubt that 11,000 rpm in the cut is better than 7,500, same # drive teeth. How could it not be if the cutter is still operating correctly, which I think most people would agree is happening in this range. My 1 1/2 cents. Russ

Tony Snyder said:
I think reliable starting/running, weight, low vibration, and power are important in that order. Fast is lower on the list.

I get more and more customers that want light weight, easy starting and low vibration, even if it means a smaller saw than they really need. They are getting smarter!
I agree.
John

Butch(OH)

I reckon that depends on what a fellow is cutting up and what kind of shape he is in. I see photos of what some of these guys are knocking down out on the North West and it aint no wonder they allways reccomend 088s and bigger, LOL. Boys and I have been working our way down a mile long fence row all winter long and the 036 hasn't been out of the truck. Nothing much over 8" to cut up and most is going straight into our Morbark chipper. I love the power and speed of my 036 but in work like this I get tired of the weight after a few hours, somebody in better shape could throw a 036 around all day. The MS210, Pool-lan, and the Tye-wan Mac work real nice for felling and putting the saplings into shape for the chipper. If I was cutting them up for fire wood a load would be had quicker with the smaller saws because ol fatboy here would be resting so much.

you have a point ..i love my faster saws but reliability an durability are still high priority for me.. plus it does shorten the enjoyment time spent using the saw..
i can stand it tho..

Back