Is frozen wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't found it to be materially different, though when frozen it is harder to see what kind of crap may be frozen away in the bark that might otherwise have fallen off or been visible for brushing away prior to cutting.

Ive herd different opinions. My expierence is yes. I cut some frozen sweet gum the other day and after 10 cuts or so I could done feel it slowing down. Semi chisel chain would probably last longer in frozen wood, but I havent tried it.

I haven't found it to be materially different, though when frozen it is harder to see what kind of crap may be frozen away in the bark that might otherwise have fallen off or been visible for brushing away prior to cutting.

+1... -17??? I got cold just looking at those pictures!

took a brand new chain out and started cutting hedge log that was frozen and six inches in she just smoked.... teeth are dull as crap... so yes it will smoke-em or roach them...:agree2:

guess your supposed to cut only when warm out..:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

took a brand new chain out and started cutting hedge log that was frozen and six inches in she just smoked.... teeth are dull as crap... so yes it will smoke-em or roach them...:agree2:

guess your supposed to cut only when warm out..:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

smoke the roaches!

Cutting here is mostly done in winter. No difference in chain dulling in frozen or thawed wood.

Some ice fishermen use chainsaws to open holes in the ice....no dulling.

Could be debris under the bark, true for dead standing oaks for example. That will dull a chain in one cut. Maybe it's just tough hard wood you've got.

View attachment 168811View attachment 168812View attachment 168813
harder on a chain? Mine seem to be getting dull awful quick, and its just getting colder. -17 thursday night. And I had to noodle down 6" on some bigger rounds to get a wedge to stick, it just bounces out.
It's probably tougher on the saw's engine than it is on the chain. I've had more engines seize up in cold winters than you can imagine. However, chain oil also thickens and that makes it tough on the engine to pull it through the cut.

Ice is harder than wood or water. So, if the chain dulls faster because you are cutting more ice, that would explain it. The ice melts in contact with the chain, but that means the chain is melting it. Want to dull the chain as fast as possible? Cut the stump as close as you can to the gound. In the winter, most of that tree sap is frozen.

Ask ice fishermen how long their chains last when they cut their fishing holes with a chainsaw. :tongue:

It's probably tougher on the saw's engine than it is on the chain. I've had more engines seize up in cold winters than you can imagine. However, chain oil also thickens and that makes it tough on the engine to pull it through the cut.

Ice is harder than wood or water. So, if the chain dulls faster because you are cutting more ice, that would explain it. The ice melts in contact with the chain, but that means the chain is melting it. Want to dull the chain as fast as possible? Cut the stump as close as you can to the gound. In the winter, most of that tree sap is frozen.

Ask ice fishermen how long their chains last when they cut their fishing holes with a chainsaw. :tongue:

Long enough to cut a hole... Shut chainsaw off.. Bait hook... Pour a cup full of peppermint schnapps... Freeze ass off..

Yes, frozen wood will dull a chain faster.
Frozen green or wet wood will accelerate the dulling.
The colder the temperature the harder it is on the chain.

Four things you can do to mitigate the problem;
  • Make sure your bar oil is thin enough and the chain is well lubed (the colder it gets the more critical this becomes).
  • If you're using a full-chisel chain switch to semi-chisel.
  • Change the top plate angle of your cutters (i.e. if you're using 35-degree switch to 30-degree, or change the 30-degree to 25-degree).
  • Don't force the cut, let it pull itself through.

I've been cutting frozen wood since mid-November... I've totally given up on full-chisel chain, it won't last 10 cuts... I'm sharpening at something about half way between 25 & 30-degrees and have thinned my bar oil so a tank of fuel just about drains the oil reservoir. Still, occasionally on one of those below zero mornings, and I cut into a wet piece, force it a bit and get the chain & bar steaming... well, I just walk over to the tools and swap out the chain, it's history for the day.

I cut a half dozen or so small (6") tree's down that were in my way of a much larger oak i'd cut down last year. Cut them down and came home. Got about -2 one night and the next morning when i tried to cut them they were frozen as hell and dulled a chain in a couple cuts. I assume it was the sap still in the tree making it this way. Just my opinion. Try cutting frozen hedge and see if you still have all your teeth on the chain :)

well....i have.....:computer:
i agree i think it is the sap... this hedge just about poured the water out when i dropped it then froze since... it is so solid i cant even split any right now.

Of course it is

I mean think about it, is frozen *water* harder to cut then when it ain't frozen? Freezing makes stuff harder, but more brittle.

extreme example: Long time ago when they were doing antarctic exploring, they needed a way to have some minimal electricity, so they hauled down a jacobs windcharger. Because the temps there are so cold, the bearings used, made of steel, would shatter, so they made the bearings from lead, once frozen, they achieved a good enough hardness to mimic steel at normal temps. An odd engineering trick but it worked, that windcharger lasted a long time. (I know this crap from reading about all those polar explorers)

Anyway, on the wood, when I lived in maine I cut all my wood by hand with a bowsaw, you REALLY can feel the diff between hacking away in the summer and then in the winter at those nasty below zero temps, there is no doubt there at all. Running a multi horsepower smoke belcher, maybe you might wonder, but running a 1/3rd horse biodrive, you can feel the diff readily.

Conversely, I always found splitting to be a scosh easier, but ya, as long as it makes it in the first whack in, then POP. She'll either bounce, or pop, no half way there much from what I remember.

It cuts "weird"

I am not cutting frozen hard wood, but frozen pine and D fir cuts weird in comparison to normal summer cutting. Maybe a scooch slower, I have not noticed excessive dulling. In fact I kept checking to see if the chain was dull cause it acted like it (slightly slower).

Forget the hooks, they won't stick. If you gotta wedge one... might not work.

I agree with the bar oil, and the engine might want a little more warming up than usual. Once the saw is warm the oil should be okay.

Just make sure the wood isn't full of frozen mud, that might dull the chain quicker. I have known a few guys who have pulled logs in the spring/summer mud, left them sit till winter to cut and split them (for the next year) and complained how dull their chains got "cutting frozen wood". Most of their problem was the wood was full of mud from dragging them home from woods/fence lines in the spring and they go to cut them in the winter and the mud is frozen on and hasn't fallen off.

Latest posts

Back