Is it best practice to seal (paint) a large 16" pruned limb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54stude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a cottonwood that has a large dead limb that I will be removing. The limb is 16" or so in diameter, and it is not in danger of falling on any structure removing it, but before I build a garage near the limb I want to remove it. This limb is about 8' off of the ground, and since the wound will be large, should I paint some king of covering on the wood to prevent rot, or just let the exposed wood heal over? If so, any product recommendations?
Thanks for the info.
Brian

you want to make a nice cut, youll see the collar of live wood around the dead, thats where you want to make your cut
first undercut about a foot out, perhaps 1/3 into the limb, then about 1/2" out from that bring your top cut down
now that you have the weight off make your finish cut, you want to just cut into the collar, shave the bark off, its better to cut a little too deep then to leave a stub, that collar is what is going to close over that cut
make a nice cut and do not paint
but this is a cottonwood you say? and close to a future garage? id put serious consideration into removing it, these trees become massive and they are very brittle

Thanks for the information!

It is about 30 feet from a future garage, and the dead limb is about 45 feet tall. The remaining weight in the tree will be facing away from any structures, so I think it will not hurt anything to leave the tree stand after pruning.

you said 8' up? please be careful, id advise you never to cut from a ladder
I couldn't agree more. Plus, that close to the ground, as the tip of the limb (brush) hits the ground, the butt end can bounce back and knock the crud out of you. And/or your ladder.

I was more concerned about this statement than about the 8' height from ground to finishing cut: "the dead limb is about 45 feet tall"

A 45 foot tall, 16" dead cottonwood limb does not sound like a safe Homeowner Helper project. Hate to make assumptions but it's just my gut reaction. I would definitely not be recommending the snap cut technique for such a limb, in fact I would not be recommending any. I have not seen the tree.

first undercut about a foot out, perhaps 1/3 into the limb, then about 1/2" out from that bring your top cut down
2uzvzwx.jpg

now that you have the weight off make your finish cut, you want to just cut into the collar, shave the bark off, its better to cut a little too deep then to leave a stub, that collar is what is going to close over that cut
1zna05e.png

I was always taught that a stub will heal better than a flush cut. A proper branch collar cut is ideal. If you cut too deep you are creating a larger more harmful wound. Avoiding peeling, or cutting into the branch collar is priority one.

make a nice cut and do not paint
but this is a cottonwood you say? and close to a future garage? id put serious consideration into removing it, these trees become massive and they are very brittle
Agreed.

Last edited:
Yeap what dieseldirt said. Sound advice. Like you said leaving a small stub is much better than a flush cut.

Back