Is it feasible/advisable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben14826

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just did some research and I've found that within a 35 mile radius of me, there are currently approximately 12 seperate tree services in operation, evenly distributed through the area. There are no large cities within 35 miles, and the population is pretty sparse through most of the area. If I had to estimate the total population in this 35 mile radius it probably isn't over 300,000, but that could be WAY off. My question is- is it feasible/advisable to start up a tree service with that many already in the area? If any of you actually care to look into it further the zip is 14826 so that you can see some of the towns and cities in this area. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Do you have anything to sell that they don't? You can carve a new niche if you have the right tools.

It depends more on the market than the competition.

treeseer is correct. Just be warned that your "niche" market won't last forever. You need to be aware that after other business see what you are doing, and making money at it, you will have competition.
A few years ago a friend of mine bought a tree spade truck, there were no others in the area. His business took off like a rocket, a year later he added a 60+ inch spade truck. Both trucks on the road almost all the time. Pretty soon there were more spade trucks on the road than you could count. Everyone else thought it was easy money and went out and bought their own truck. Then there was to much competition.
3 years later, he sold his trucks.

Ed

A friend of mine wanted to open a pizza place. He makes some great food. I told him.....It is one thing to know how to do something, it is another to know how to make money doing it.

Where I live, I can name off twenty tree services off hand, without a phone book etc. While it is a large area, and it is currently slow. We all manage to stay afloat or better. Reason being, the Tree guys who are also business men have work, The ones out there trying to make a quick buck fail. So the area seems to support the best of us out here, the others die off and competition stays stable.

What I am saying is, Provide a good product and you will have work

so far this has been half encouraging/half discouraging. I have a lot of business classes under my belt so hopefully that will help. Keep the comments coming guys. I appreciate it.

business classes are good but!!! commonsense and real life experience in the tree biz is what youll need!!!! follows these rules and you wont go hungry(depending on geographical area of course)
1. be professional gain knowledge through books/experience and convey that to the client.
2. be personable talk to the customer not down at them give suggestions and above all listen!!!
3. the gift to gab & ability to sell yourself!!!!! YOU MUST PROVE U R GOOD!!!
4. be competitive, dont cutthroat(see #1)
5. apply marketing strategies, obtain credentials pertaining to the biz you are marketing(degrees,certification,licenses,etc...)

I could go on & on but I think you get the idea, heres 1 problem out my way & a problem many on here face. You go bid the job, follow the above and then some. right? welllll lumberjack larry shows up needin beer $$$ and states he`ll beat anyones price that unshaven, 1967 dodge drivin 3 sheets to the wind hack gets the job!!!!! surprise,surprise,surprise he beat your price BIG time. the point!!! this is reality/experience not a biz class.

good luck, hope this helped didnt mean to come across so brash, but this is what you will face.

LXT..................................

Back