Is it healthy to top my fir and cedar trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Stevens

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a waterfront property in British Columbia with fir, cedar and arbutus trees. The neighbours on the hillside above me have asked several times if I will top certain trees to improve their view. I have told them twice now that I am OK with picture framing the trees but I do not agree with topping my trees.

At issue is that my aunt allowed these neighbours to top a row of cedars that are along the entry to the house. The limbs are longer and reaching nearly over top of my roof. And now, the top limbs are growing into a multiple trunk top.

Can an arborist confirm whether or not it is good or bad to top fir or cedar trees?

My experience has been that the remaining limbs grow out longer & further. The neighbours can see over top but the lower limbs now block my view. Am I imagining this or is it a fact?

Is it true that the trunks will potentially rot?

The issue is that the neighbours all do it and so why won't I? I just want to have my facts ready about the health hazards to trees. Bottom line it is my property, I don't like the look of topped trees nor the required maintenance of topped trees. I will allow picture framing.

Attachments

• Puffyclouds.JPG
    Puffyclouds.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Thank you @Jed1124 and @TheJollyLogger. I appreciate confirmation. Odd that this pressure comes from islanders that recycle, compost, use rain water barrels, and reuse old furniture......smaller foot print, sustainable living etc. Apparently this concern for the environment does not transfer to healthy trees. "give me my view at any cost!!!" I will be the one and only and bare the brunt of their dissatisfaction.....staying my course.

Since my aunt not only left me with this wonderful cabin she also left me with these topped cedar trees. What do I do with them now?

The limbs at the top have started a new multi trunk top and grown up about 10 feet.

The rest of the limbs are long and close to my roof but not covering it. Can I trim the ends back? Or do the branches need to be cut back all the way to the trunk?

I do like the privacy that the lower limbs give to my property as these trees are on the back side / trailside of the house. To cut the trees down and plant new would be very difficult. There is no soil, it is all slate rock. These cedars are natural to the landscape.

Since my aunt not only left me with this wonderful cabin she also left me with these topped cedar trees. What do I do with them now?

The limbs at the top have started a new multi trunk top and grown up about 10 feet.

The rest of the limbs are long and close to my roof but not covering it. Can I trim the ends back? Or do the branches need to be cut back all the way to the trunk?

I do like the privacy that the lower limbs give to my property as these trees are on the back side / trailside of the house. To cut the trees down and plant new would be very difficult. There is no soil, it is all slate rock. These cedars are natural to the landscape.

You can tip back the branches of the firs and cedars without problems. We do it all the time. Just make sure you leave green when you trim them back. Douglas fir will self prune itself by breaking the branch tips.

The topped cedars, we often have to deal with. Often what we find is the topping cut is rotten and the connection of the multi stem tops are quite weak. It's not a problem when these are 10' tall, but can become a risk when they become 40-50' tall (commonly seen around here). We will often cut them back to the original topping cut (or just above).

We're often working with people in West Vanc, where the pressure from neighbours uphill can be intense. A clear view can make a $200k difference in property value. Our attitude is: if it hasn't been topped, we won't top it. If it has been previously topped, we will retop back.

I wouldn't trust removing all but one of the multi tops to reshape the tree. The connections at the topping cut are weak and failures during storms usually occur at this point.

My experience with West Coast Douglas fir, red cedar and western hemlock.

You can tip back the branches of the firs and cedars without problems. We do it all the time. Just make sure you leave green when you trim them back. Douglas fir will self prune itself by breaking the branch tips.

The topped cedars, we often have to deal with. Often what we find is the topping cut is rotten and the connection of the multi stem tops are quite weak. It's not a problem when these are 10' tall, but can become a risk when they become 40-50' tall (commonly seen around here). We will often cut them back to the original topping cut (or just above).

We're often working with people in West Vanc, where the pressure from neighbours uphill can be intense. A clear view can make a $200k difference in property value. Our attitude is: if it hasn't been topped, we won't top it. If it has been previously topped, we will retop back.

I wouldn't trust removing all but one of the multi tops to reshape the tree. The connections at the topping cut are weak and failures during storms usually occur at this point.

My experience with West Coast Douglas fir, red cedar and western hemlock.

Thanks so much @BC WetCoast ............not so wet this year, right. My property is on Bowen Island and you certainly understand my situation. Lots of pressure from those behind me.

@TheJollyLogger and @BC WetCoast I have returned from Bowen Island and was able to snap a few photos showing the cedar tree (there are 2 of these the second being behind the shown tree) with the new tops on it. The new multi-top is looking pretty tall ........ 10' at least. I caught the hydro pole next to it so you can see the scale and height of the tree. And yes, the hydro lines go through the tree branches too. Any hope?

Attachments

• PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
I would suggest you remove at least the tallest new top on the cedar back to the topping cut or just above it. It will have a weak attachment to the main stem and during a storm that is often the part that fails. If you do it now, it's not a big deal for a climber. Wait a few years and it gets 30' taller then it is much harder (expensive) to remove.

The problem, as has been stated above, with topping trees is that the new tops the tree creates, are not structurally sound at the attachment points, and are prone to failure. I would pose the question, though, since you said the trees are on your " trail side" of the house, what happens if one of the new tops breaks off? Is there anything below the trees? May be just leave the new tops alone? I'm thinking also, it may not make for good neighborhood relations, if you tell your neighbors, " no, I'm not letting you top my tree" , then go and top your other trees, regardless of what has been done before.

@JRoland Yes, my house is below the cedar trees with a new 40' long glass skylight over my entry. So if the tops topple it will be on my house or skylight.

These 2 cedar trees were already topped when I inherited the house. My aunt topped them for the neighbours in the red house up the hill behind me. So now that these cedar trees have been topped for these neighbours (over 10 years ago now) the maintenance is now on me. After the neighbours asked if I would top the trees again, I did get a quote from an Arborist to picture frame the new tops, I gave the quote to the neighbours, and they said, "you want us to pay for this? We will do the work ourselves. But to picture frame the tree is not worth it to us." At that point I made it clear to these neighbours that the trees are only worked on by an arborist that I hire when I am present. And these trees have power lines running through them.

I can see now from the great advice that I have received from you pros that the thing to do is to top these trees back to the original cut. It sounds like it will be the safest for the protection of my property.

The ship has sailed with "good neighbourly relations" with the neighbours in the red house. I have already told them "no topping my trees" a couple of times. They are pissed.........maybe they will move now. Won't hurt my feelings.

I have already discussed with my other neighbours that if they want a better view, and if it involves one of my trees, they can pay my arborist for the picture framing. Bottom line, I will not top any of my natural trees. It may not be how the neighbourhood does it but it is how I do it.

@JRoland Yes, my house is below the cedar trees with a new 40' long glass skylight over my entry. So if the tops topple it will be on my house or skylight.

These 2 cedar trees were already topped when I inherited the house. My aunt topped them for the neighbours in the red house up the hill behind me. So now that these cedar trees have been topped for these neighbours (over 10 years ago now) the maintenance is now on me. After the neighbours asked if I would top the trees again, I did get a quote from an Arborist to picture frame the new tops, I gave the quote to the neighbours, and they said, "you want us to pay for this? We will do the work ourselves. But to picture frame the tree is not worth it to us." At that point I made it clear to these neighbours that the trees are only worked on by an arborist that I hire when I am present. And these trees have power lines running through them.

I can see now from the great advice that I have received from you pros that the thing to do is to top these trees back to the original cut. It sounds like it will be the safest for the protection of my property.

The ship has sailed with "good neighbourly relations" with the neighbours in the red house. I have already told them "no topping my trees" a couple of times. They are pissed.........maybe they will move now. Won't hurt my feelings.

I have already discussed with my other neighbours that if they want a better view, and if it involves one of my trees, they can pay my arborist for the picture framing. Bottom line, I will not top any of my natural trees. It may not be how the neighbourhood does it but it is how I do it.
Just curious, what was there first, the houses or the trees? I totally agree with your approach. The last four sentences of your first post say it all.

When you get right down to it, the power company may well have the right to top your trees under a right of way contract/easement. If that is the case, having the work done to your satisfaction may be a better choice.

I see no power on that utility pole. Just guy wire and comm cable. I work for a telco and if your local is like who I work for we do zero clearance work any longer. Its always hazard cutting but I do agree with what was posted do your own trimming.

Back