Is it healthy to top my fir and cedar trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no power on that utility pole. Just guy wire and comm cable. I work for a telco and if your local is like who I work for we do zero clearance work any longer. Its always hazard cutting but I do agree with what was posted do your own trimming.
Actually the power pole ends at my house, so you are right, the big power lines don't keep heading down the road. The power lines go down through the cedars to my power post (?? something like that) on the corner of my house. I have had an arborist out to clear the limbs so they don't interfere with the lines to the house. Although, I still don't think it is a good idea for the neighbour to be climbing in my tree with power lines going through it. Do you? I think it is a job for a pro...........with the insurance to go with it.

I don't see any primary line (72kv) on that pole only secondaries(220v) along with telephone/cable. BC Hydro doesn't usually trim around secondaries, rather concentrate on the primaries. In my experience, Telus(telephone) and Shaw(cable) don't care about the line maintenance until the line gets damaged.

I get the impression you and your neighbour don't get along. So, if I was in your position, there would be no way he's climbing my tree. If he was to fall and get hurt on your property, although we Canucks aren't as litigious as our neighbours to the south, who knows what he would do.

If the trees aren't that important to you you may consider being a nice neighbor and letting your neighbor have his water view. Of course he'd pay for any tree work. Maybe even removals and him paying for plantings that would not block his view in the future.

Of course he'd pay for any tree work.
I like the sounds of him paying for all the tree work and new plantings but they laughed at me when I offered to picture frame the trees for their cost of $300. They don't' want to pay a thing....

I would love to cut the trees down BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE TOPPED TREES and plant new but it is a miracle that these cedars grew on our rocks in the first place. There is no soil so planting new vegetation will be a challenge. Something to consider but I am certain they won't want to pay for any of it.......even if it does improve their view.

A topped tree is still better than no tree at all!

If they expect you to pay for trimming for their water view I'd let them know that you don't want the trees touched. It's best to send them a certified letter stating the fact before they hire someone on their own or as you've mentioned......try to do it themselves. Get up to date photo documentation.

A topped tree is still better than no tree at all!

If they expect you to pay for trimming for their water view I'd let them know that you don't want the trees touched. It's best to send them a certified letter stating the fact before they hire someone on their own or as you've mentioned......try to do it themselves. Get up to date photo documentation.

Yeah, keep topping it,, the damage was done long before,
If not, remove them,, chances are the tree's could out live the home owners.
Jeff

Back